Should I buy a bike now or next season? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I buy a bike now or next season?

I've had my M2 for about 2 months now and previously called Mitchel&Whale who quoted me for $120 per month on the 300s in august, same price for 250s if I recall.

Not too concerned about getting something else as the 300s are usually in good demand but will ask about the 500cc quotes.

Just as an fyi some of the 300s are not far behind the 500s in hp/tq but weigh quite a bit less. Food for thought.

Just as an fyi some of the 300s are not far behind the 500s in hp/tq but weigh quite a bit less. Food for thought.

yup

and the 300 is a perfect starter bike
and after a couple of years it's natural to move up

500 may be acceptable for a starter
but being more money some buyers may have to hang on to it longer
and it may turn out to be the wrong bike

how many people here found out the first bike
was the wrong one?

300 is perfect.
I'd wait till 400 comes out and try to see if you can get lower price on the 300.

Hell, I miss mine. But then I miss all my previous bikes

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

yup

and the 300 is a perfect starter bike
and after a couple of years it's natural to move up

500 may be acceptable for a starter
but being more money some buyers may have to hang on to it longer
and it may turn out to be the wrong bike

how many people here found out the first bike
was the wrong one?
I started on a 500, wish i started on a 300. Find them more fun

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

The Honda CB500 series is designed around the Learner standards for Europe and Australia with a 46 HP limit...the Honda CB500x is 45.

The Ninja 300 is 35 the 250s 25 HP. Weight i 385 lb wet for the 300.

The Honda CBX at 427 wet - the CBR 422.

The 300s with ABS go around $4k
The CBs around $5k and all have ABS.

If insurance is the same ....that's $1,000 well spent for one of Honda's most popular bikes.

This tho is a spectacular deal at $2700

$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...le/1307762992?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

good comparison MD

what I'm suggesting
is that a 300, like the used one you posted
is a great starter bike, and it is a good deal
it's also half the price of a new 500

new riders don't know what kind of riders they will be in a few years
type of riding and social considerations
maybe after a couple of years they realize they are cruiser guys, and want a sportster
maybe they get tuned on by the idea of group jackass activities blocking public highways, and want an SS
or maybe they go the track and become a solid technical rider, again an SS
or maybe they find out they love long rides and seeing new places, and want upright seating and luggage

I'd suggest for these reasons, to not spend a lot on first bike
to avoid the possibility of getting stuck on the wrong bike

Not suggesting new ...just to consider a 500 in the mix .... with upright seating it's safe for new riders and able to put long days in as opposed to the sport seating that new riders tend to go after and very often regret ( my kid for instance ).
The extra torque means not so frequent shifting and over a more relaxing ride.

That $2700 300 tho is a no brainer with ABS.

this is the time to buy bikes, people are desperate to dump them due to storage issues or lack of interest in riding all together. In April and March prices spike and deals get nabbed asap.

I just purchased something that would probably cost me 2k more in spring. Parking underground is an issue but you can do your best to prevent theft. tuck it under a cover, chain it to the post, put an alarm on it.... and insurance is here in case it does happen. Also Nov-Feb insurance is technically at $0. You can cancel your insurance anytime of the year, they just look at the months you had the policy and they base the cost on the months. You actually pay almost nothing for those months, (May-October is 90%) and who knows, maybe next week well have 15C weather again ;)..

Also during winter months is a good practice just taking the bike for some figure 8 in your lot ... keep the battery charged and the condensation out of the system by riding it for 30min-h once in a while, and keep your skills sharp at the same time!

Last edited:
Chiming in as a 500x owner, i love the bike, my first bike. I've test rode others (more powerful and meh) I actually am going to ride a Ninja 300 this week so i'll let you know what i find is different.

But yeah the 500 feels more like a big bike from what i've heard while still being pretty nimble. Torque on demand. Lower rpm range too.

Ninja is sexier looking than the cb500 series i find though. Power wise i think maybe only at the top end you'll find a difference which you won't be using that much. But that's all speculation and what i've read on forums.

But yeah the 500 feels more like a big bike from what i've heard while still being pretty nimble. Torque on demand. Lower rpm range too.

exactly ....the CB500x was one of the best demo rides I've been on and the guy that was on the same ride said he wanted to point it to the horizon and keep going. It's just plain fun to ride and an excellent seating position.

It even hangs in with the 650 Vstrom which surprised me. https://rideapart.com/articles/suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-honda-cb500x-comparison-test

and there is a huge community of riders.
700+ pages
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/honda-cb500x.840842/

Very successful product for Honda.

This where the "rideability" will come in ....the torque

122-1307-02-o+2013-honda-CBR500R-vs-2013-kawasaki-ninja-300+torque-chart.jpg

there is a good thread on it here
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?174910-Honda-CB500x-yup-it-s-a-winner/page2

That flat torque curve

2013-Honda-CB500X-Dyno-Chart-633x450.jpg

makes it so rideable.

That's the biggiest issue with the 300 and less machines...you really have to be willing to shift a lot to keep them into any easy sort of power availability.....it is good practice but damn it's annoying.

Never considered the CB500x much. Interested in the Strom more, but if the comparisons and reviews are close to true, the CB500x is a good choice I'll have to keep in mind.

The gas mileage is insane as well....really a swiss army knife bike.....that ADVRider thread is insane.

exactly ....the CB500x was one of the best demo rides I've been on and the guy that was on the same ride said he wanted to point it to the horizon and keep going. It's just plain fun to ride and an excellent seating position.

It even hangs in with the 650 Vstrom which surprised me. https://rideapart.com/articles/suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-honda-cb500x-comparison-test

and there is a huge community of riders.
700+ pages
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/honda-cb500x.840842/

Very successful product for Honda.

This where the "rideability" will come in ....the torque

there is a good thread on it here
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?174910-Honda-CB500x-yup-it-s-a-winner/page2

That flat torque curve

makes it so rideable.

That's the biggiest issue with the 300 and less machines...you really have to be willing to shift a lot to keep them into any easy sort of power availability.....it is good practice but damn it's annoying.

Those are some surprising stats since when comparing the 0-60 times, it's really close considering the displacement difference. Comes down to seating position and price which I'm gonna figure out but the 500 is more expensive from first glance.

Ordered 2 alarm disc locks, gonna be about 7-10 days when they arrive so I won't be buying anything before then. Might actually buy during the winter even.

Should I be worried about milage on that $2,800 ninja or on any motorcycle lol.

Last edited:
That $2700 Ninja is gone.

There seems a serious avoidance of high mileage bikes in the GTA ....I happily bought my Vstrom 650 with 93,000 km on.
All depends on the previous owner and maintenance and I was very sure I was getting a superb bike and I did,

It really depends if you are buying for the 2 year flip or looking for something longer term. Decent riding roads are 2-4 hours away. How old are you and what is your inseam??

The Honda CBR 500s are built for smaller riders, the CB500x is a full sized bike.

That $2700 Ninja is gone.

There seems a serious avoidance of high mileage bikes in the GTA ....I happily bought my Vstrom 650 with 93,000 km on.
All depends on the previous owner and maintenance and I was very sure I was getting a superb bike and I did,

It really depends if you are buying for the 2 year flip or looking for something longer term. Decent riding roads are 2-4 hours away. How old are you and what is your inseam??

The Honda CBR 500s are built for smaller riders, the CB500x is a full sized bike.

I may flip to another bike in a year or 2 or maybe not, getting something too fast for the road to really wrench out doesn't seem as fun from what I've read.
Going to be 25 next year, I'm 6ft3, about 34 waist for inseam. My riding pants and jacket are a little baggy so that I can dress warmer under em if needed, not very short lol.

I'll probably pick up some airier summer gear come May.

Last edited:
I didn't feel relatively cramped on the rental cbr300 which has a similar seat height, then again I haven't sat on something higher so that doesn't say much but I didn't have any complaints.
Does 1 inch really make a big difference.

When riding distance yes - go in and sit on a Vstrom .... very good fit for you. CBR300 is a bit bigger frame than the Ninja.

06wi1244JMSvJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png

Look they are all going to be fun for short local trips ....start getting into longer rides to get to better roads and the ergos start to make a difference.

The CB500x is one of those rare bikes that are flat out fun and comfortable

The other aspect is going off pavement ( not off road ) which will improve riding skills quickly - offer more choice near the GTA and is fine on a CB500x with 50/50 tires.

Seat height numbers don't tell the whole story on "rider fit" and is only a good indication of if your feet will easily touch the ground.

Rider triangle of hands, foopegs and hips determine fit and riding style. You can have high seats that are more fetal tuck than upright. New Ducati panigale seat hights are like 33 inches.

Sitting on them and feeling is best.

Back
Top Bottom