Should I buy a bike now or next season? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I buy a bike now or next season?

CriticalCore

Editz-- I got my 2 disc brake alarms, fast shipping but will hold off on buying till late February for warmer spring weather. Might pick up a chain and cover during Christmas on sale for additional security and the bike soon after the snow begins melting.

Appreciate all the info from you guys--

Literally just got the notice of my new underground parking spot. Now, it's already ****ing cold outside here in Richmond Hill so I'm debating if I should buy now or wait until next season.
I've already waited for the parking about 3 months, I can probably keep waiting.

I'm pretty dead set on the Kawai Ninja 300 if I'm gonna buy this weekend due to the 30 or so extra CC's for similar price compared to the CBR, most ninjas are around the $3000 mark on Kijiji atm, will the prices go down even more if I wait. Hell how much will they go up come March?

Honestly it's ****ing cold outside, thumbs up to the guys I still see riding though.

Last edited:
Underground parking= thief magnet, no point in buying a bike that you cant ride that might get stolen.

Wait till you can actually ride it

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

pros of buying now:
low prices
you want a bike and get one
a few weeks of riding - maybe

cons:
cold, hard tires are not good for novice riders
paying insurance all winter

pros of buying now:
low prices

cons:

X2 on most of the above except insurance (Ya gotta pay all year round anyways, might as well start now...), but I also strongly agree on the theft issue in underground parking.

If you have good coverage I'd buy now if it was me. Major price difference now vs spring, especially on beginner bikes.

Not sure if you are buying new or not, but with the 400 coming out soon I'd wait, as 300 prices can only go lower. Not to mention you won't have to worry about storage or theft in the condo until at least spring.

forgot one pro:

can go down to the underground
once a day, sit on the bike for an hour

get your boyz toughened up for the spring

Seems like the threat of underground theft would exist 365 days of the year.

Have you checked with your insurance agent/broker on your choice of bike (and parking situation)?

Buying a bike now will probably net you a bit of a savings over doing so in the spring when every fall- and spring-MSC graduate is out there gunning for a Ninja 300. How are you for riding gear (helmet, gloves etc)?

Yes, you gotta but why waste 4-5 months of payments?
Of course you can ride through winter but 99% of people don't and definitely not recommend for a newbie.

Well, you're only paying about 12% or your overall premium from November 1 to end of March.
Insurance is bell curved. The months of June - August carry the highest weighted premium i.e. you're paying 50% of your annual fees for these 3 months).

Winter insurance costs are pretty much negligable.

If you get it now, you might get the itch to modify it before knowing if you'll keep the bike for awhile.

Personally, I'd wait for at least the bike shows where you can check out all the new bikes in one place before pulling the trigger. EDIT: nevermind. i see you are buying used

Last edited:
have your theft coverage sorted out and if you find a bike you really like buy it. You have months to shop so use them to advantage and find a nice unmolested bike.

bonus, the longer your insured and licensed the sooner your rates may start to reduce. Or not.

I've already got my gear and insurance quotes sorted out, only thing giving me pause is the chill weather really.

Regarding the price differences between now and spring, just how big does it get? Current ninja 300s are sitting at 3000k, if they got to 4000 I could see the value but would it really be that big of a spike if its just a couple hundred then it'd be better to just wait and save on the monthly insurance imo.

Can I look up historical pricing somewhere for this summer lol.

I park my bike in an underground condo lot in Thornhill. 3 years now and no issues. I keep the bike locked and (usually) covered.
And I keep it ready to roll at all times - you never know when we get a nice day for riding during the off-season.

pros of buying now:
low prices

cons:

You have to pay for insurance in the winter regardless of when you get insured, since you can't cancel without penalty. With my insurance company (TD), I don't pay anything in the winter and only during the months that my premium is used (April to September/October).

Last year, when I bought a bike in October, I only paid like $40 to have it insured until the February roll over.

I've already got my gear and insurance quotes sorted out, only thing giving me pause is the chill weather really.

Regarding the price differences between now and spring, just how big does it get? Current ninja 300s are sitting at 3000k, if they got to 4000 I could see the value but would it really be that big of a spike if its just a couple hundred then it'd be better to just wait and save on the monthly insurance imo.

Can I look up historical pricing somewhere for this summer lol.

You more than likely won't see much lower than they are now unless you find a desperate seller and are willing to drive "far". Deals can be found at any time of year. It all depends on your patience. Come the spring time, when you want to get out and ride, there might not be a great deal available at that moment in time. But you might also get lucky and a guy a few towns over is unloading one cheap because of their random personal situation. Patience and ability to move quickly matters most if a deal is what you're looking for, not time of year.

Not sure if you are buying new or not, but with the 400 coming out soon I'd wait, as 300 prices can only go lower. Not to mention you won't have to worry about storage or theft in the condo until at least spring.

^^This ^^ I can't recall for sure, but I think prices and demand for used 250s dropped when the Ninja 300 came out. No reason not to expect the same to happen to 300s with the new 400, especially if reviews are good. Also a good bargaining position. "I really want a new 400, but I'll take your old 300 if the price is right". ;-)

if the new model wasnt coming out with more cc id say buy now.

but pricing will change next season for your used bike so... yeah

wait

Op you should find out where the breaks are on insurance first before you do anything.

Have you got your insurer lined up?

I'd discuss your situation with Chris

csouth@surnet.net

He's always given us top notch advice.

Are you a completely new rider without your M licence at all??....you might be further ahead with a 50cc scoot for a year then get a motorcycle.
That first year is make or break...you are likely going to spend more on insurance than you are on a bike.

Saying gear and insurance sorted doesn't say about your licence level.

If your insurer sees no difference between a 300 to 500 then a CBx500 or one of the other CB500 series might be a much better buy as you are likely to keep it and they are 477 CC and superb machines.

If there is a break at 250 and under then an older 250 might save you a ton of insurance money over a 300 or 400 and there are likely to be deals on the 250s.

Last edited:
Op you should find out where the breaks are on insurance first before you do anything.

Have you got your insurer lined up?

I'd discuss your situation with Chris

csouth@surnet.net

He's always given us top notch advice.

Are you a completely new rider without your M licence at all??....you might be further ahead with a 50cc scoot for a year then get a motorcycle.
That first year is make or break...you are likely going to spend more on insurance than you are on a bike.

Saying gear and insurance sorted doesn't say about your licence level.

If your insurer sees no difference between a 300 to 500 then a CBx500 or one of the other CB500 series might be a much better buy as you are likely to keep it and they are 477 CC and superb machines.

If there is a break at 250 and under then an older 250 might save you a ton of insurance money over a 300 or 400 and there are likely to be deals on the 250s.

I've had my M2 for about 2 months now and previously called Mitchel&Whale who quoted me for $120 per month on the 300s in august, same price for 250s if I recall.

Not too concerned about getting something else as the 300s are usually in good demand but will ask about the 500cc quotes.

Back
Top Bottom