New bike plates | GTAMotorcycle.com

New bike plates

bigpoppa

When you go into purchasing a new bike via dealer, and you have the plates from the old one, with the tags that are still valid, do they still have to get you plates etc or can you just use the old plates with the sticker on it?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

When you go into purchasing a new bike via dealer, and you have the plates from the old one, with the tags that are still valid, do they still have to get you plates etc or can you just use the old plates with the sticker on it?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

You can transfer your plates onto the new bike. Depending on the dealer that might not save you any money as it is more work than getting new plates.

x2 you can re use your existing plates and sticker, but I agree that depends on the dealers willingness to do so for you – you would have to supply the plate portion of your current ownership for when they go to do the registration.

If they won't do it you can simply take the plates back to service Ontario and they will refund the unused months remaining on the sticker and destroy the plates for you.

It's not any more work for the dealer. They walk in to the MTO office, go to the reserved widow bypassing the long, long line up, hand the package of papers to the clerk, the clerk does the work, hands back the info and new plates if needed.

You can't use plates on a vehicle unless the plates are registered to that vehicle.
Car, truck, motorcycle...it doesn't matter.
The dealer will generally transfer the plates for you.

You can't use plates on a vehicle unless the plates are registered to that vehicle.
Car, truck, motorcycle...it doesn't matter.
The dealer will generally transfer the plates for you.

I would ask the dealer,, if you finance it.. they might have a different idea.. but

You have 6 days to transfer the plates to your new vehicle, HTA 11(3) specifically says you can "affix the number plates to a similar class of vehicle"

I have been told every insurance policy in Ontario will cover your new vehicle in that time frame ,, mine does, agent says ,, call if it is weekday, but if you buy the vehicle on the weekend,, don't worry... you're covered

MTO clerk convinced the seller of the last bike I bought to just sign the ownership, and then I can ride the bike home on my plates with my insurance .

HTA 11(3) says you have to do this "in accordance with the prescribed requirements" so you must have the title for the valid plates , and the matching valid insurance slip in possession, and the title for the bike your riding that is in FIT condition, signed and DATED ... If the police stops you,
- Your old plate installed on the new vehicle with valid sticker on it
- Valid insurance pink slip of the old vehicle
- The plate portion of the old ownership
- The FIT vehicle portion of the new vehicle ownership
- Dated bill of sale

When I traded in my 250, I told them I wanted to keep my plates. When the day came, I simply rode it to the dealership and they removed the plate from it, and put it on the new bike...dealership did all the MTO work to get it done.

Back
Top Bottom