Battery terminal corroded and rusty | GTAMotorcycle.com

Battery terminal corroded and rusty

Burnout

So my friend's battery was dead and I offered to lend my charger. I keep the connector attached to my battery because i also power a usb charger off of it. Anyways, went to remove it, and noticed that the negative terminal was crusted with green and white stuff. Was fiddling around trying to unscrew the connection but it was too crusty, and then I accidentally shorted my own battery. (whoops, you idiot.)

Question now is, is it safe for me to clean the terminals with baking soda, vinegar etc, while the battery is still connected?

Should i just remove the positive terminal if I can, since the battery is deadish anyways (but it also looked a bit rusty so might not come off without a bit of work either).

Basically, i need to clean off all the crust and junk to even disconnect my battery...is that safe? Safer since I already shorted the battery? There is still juice in it, just not enough to start my bike.

Thanks in advance....

Sent from my LG-H811 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

yes, perfectly fine to use baking soda/water to clean while cables are connected
and old tooth brush works well to scrub clean

I'd remove the terminals, clean them AND the battery posts with a wide brush. If you clean with the terminals cinched onj, you're unlikely to get the corrosion that's actually causing the problem.

Once you're done, coat each terminal with battery terminal spray. I get mine at Walmart or Canadian Tire for about $4 bucks -- works wonders to keep corrosion at bay.

I'd remove the terminals, clean them AND the battery posts with a wide brush. If you clean with the terminals cinched onj, you're unlikely to get the corrosion that's actually causing the problem.

Once you're done, coat each terminal with battery terminal spray. I get mine at Walmart or Canadian Tire for about $4 bucks -- works wonders to keep corrosion at bay.

I'd use an appropriately sized brush.

Last edited:
dude is asking how to clean the terminals prior to removal
wants to know if it's safe to use baking soda and water

answer is yes

dude is asking how to clean the terminals prior to removal
wants to know if it's safe to use baking soda and water

answer is yes

exactly,,,and use a non metallic brush, ie toothbrush to clean up, and if you are using screwdrivers or socket and ratchet, then cover the metal parts with a cloth to prevent accidental shorts.....

Thanks guys. I cleaned off most of the corrosion, but still can't get the terminals disconnected. Going to try and pickup some penetrating oil and see if that helps. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear it. This is annoying because my bike is parked on the street...

"Does it work" -> Yes -> "don't touch it!"

If you need to charge up your battery, there's no need to disconnect it to do that. Do it right on the bike (not running).

If the terminal is crusty but still conducts electricity and the battery is still ok - leave it be.

When the time comes to replace the battery, it doesn't matter if you break off the head of the screw on the battery terminal (the new battery will come with new screws!) and it doesn't matter if you break the battery terminal (the battery is toast anyhow).

If it's just the terminal ... anything is fixable .... LOL ... I know a friend who has a battery with wonky terminal and it got fixed .... still works like a charm today.

So my friend's battery was dead and I offered to lend my charger. I keep the connector attached to my battery because i also power a usb charger off of it. Anyways, went to remove it, and noticed that the negative terminal was crusted with green and white stuff. Was fiddling around trying to unscrew the connection but it was too crusty, and then I accidentally shorted my own battery. (whoops, you idiot.)

Question now is, is it safe for me to clean the terminals with baking soda, vinegar etc, while the battery is still connected?

Should i just remove the positive terminal if I can, since the battery is deadish anyways (but it also looked a bit rusty so might not come off without a bit of work either).

Basically, i need to clean off all the crust and junk to even disconnect my battery...is that safe? Safer since I already shorted the battery? There is still juice in it, just not enough to start my bike.

Thanks in advance....

Sent from my LG-H811 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

If the terminal is already crusty and the battery is "deadish" it's a matter of you can do it now or you can do it later.
Come spring you will no doubt going to install a new battery.
Unless you are also going to install new terminal clamps, they will have to be removed from the old battery and cleaned.
Do it during the winter.
The last thing you want to do on the first good riding day of the spring is mess around on the battery instead of riding.

Back
Top Bottom