Zombie law coming? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Zombie law coming?

Joe Bass

*probably eating right now*
Site Supporter
http://www.iheartradio.ca/977htzfm/news/local/distracted-pedestrians-beware-1.3394187

DISTRACTED PEDESTRIANS BEWARE

10:23 AM

[http://www]

iStock/mokee81

A private member's will be introduced at Queen's Park Monday that targets distracted pedestrians.

It's called the "Phones Down, Heads Up Act" and will be introduced by Etobicoke Centre MPP Yvan Baker.

He says he was inspired by Honolulu which adopted its so-called "zombie law"

If passed, the bill would prevent pedestrians from using their* phones or electronic devices when crossing roadways.

The bill calls for first offenders to receive a $50 fine, $75 for a second offence, and $125 for a third offence.

Municipalities would be able to opt out

^^^this last part is kind of upsetting to me.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

a private members bill introduced by a Liberal
the governing party

this tells me it's going nowhere
if he can't get the government that he's a member of
to introduce this POS
it's going nowhere

can't legislate walking
and who would enforce this?

There seems to be a new law popping up every year to legislate common sense. :confused:

Just to point out, this is to appease drivers who are annoyed at seeing people walk in front of them seemingly unaware of their surroundings, whether they're a hazard or not. It's not like pedestrians are clamoring for this. It's the same frustration that drives anti-bike sentiment. Drivers want their almighty dominance of the road acknowledged by poor, slow, schlubs who might think they're as entitled to the road as drivers.

War on the car my a**.

Just to point out, this is to appease drivers who are annoyed at seeing people walk in front of them seemingly unaware of their surroundings, whether they're a hazard or not. It's not like pedestrians are clamoring for this. It's the same frustration that drives anti-bike sentiment. Drivers want their almighty dominance of the road acknowledged by poor, slow, schlubs who might think they're as entitled to the road as drivers.

I'd rather see a law like this passed than lowering speed limits within towns and cities to 30 or 40kph to allow for these zombies wandering aimlessly.

30-40 km/h has made the roads safer since before mobile tech. This proposal isn't a substitute for anything, just another law layered on top of the others to assuage the unfounded concerns of this minister's driving constituency and benefit his future electoral prospects.

30-40 km/h has made the roads safer since before mobile tech. This proposal isn't a substitute for anything, just another law layered on top of the others to assuage the unfounded concerns of this minister's driving constituency and benefit his future electoral prospects.

Have you not witnessed crowds of people on their phones bumping into each other at intersections, going opposite ways? Or school kids taking their sweet time while crossing and texting. The light changes and everyone has to wait while the zombies clear the intersection or crosswalk, at their own pace without any regard.

Or do you not drive much?

Is this why some people in the U.S. are hoarding weapons?
Prepare-For-Zombie-Apocalypse-1068x601.jpg

Have you not witnessed crowds of people on their phones bumping into each other at intersections, going opposite ways? Or school kids taking their sweet time while crossing and texting. The light changes and everyone has to wait while the zombies clear the intersection or crosswalk, at their own pace without any regard.

Or do you not drive much?
Waiting after the light changes means they're jaywalking. There's already a law for that.

Slow school kids in crosswalks are the problem now?

I bet I drive more than you walk or cycle.

....I bet I drive more than you walk or cycle.

I get it now...a car hater.

I smoke too, use plastic grocery bags as garbage bags, usually filled with empty beer cans packed with butts.

I get it now...a car hater.
This is the same rationale that produces the 'war on the car' rhetoric. Anything that isn't entirely dedicated to driving and drivers is apparently hateful and anti-car. Yet how much better off would you be with pedestrians and cyclists all driving instead?

Just clarify that any pedestrian who was talking/texting at the time of being involved in a collision is responsible for the collision, and let Darwin take care of the rest of it.

Just clarify that any pedestrian who was talking/texting at the time of being involved in a collision is responsible for the collision, and let Darwin take care of the rest of it.

perfect

we have the concepts of liability and civil law in Ontario already
no need to mess with HTA and tie up cops to deal with dullards

DOA. Even if by a miracle it passed, do you think people will change their behaviour over a $50 fine that will likely never be enforced? If you want people to care, mirror the distracted driving fines. Pedestrians won't want that ticket and police forces will be much more likely to issue them as it is more profitable.

I don't think we need more laws, just more common sense. If the police want to alter the behaviour, maybe card the people that don't pay attention and waste 30 minutes of their day waiting for a document/IMEI check to be completed. No laws needed and one officer could wrangle a dozen people at a time (calls in the info and starts fishing for the next one while they wait for the reply).

I'm just sad we live in a world where a law like this needs to be debated. If I'm crossing the road where objects travelling at potentially high rates of speed that weigh over a thousand pounds exist, I'm going to look and make sure none are about to collide with me. Seems like common sense, but then common sense is exactly what's lacking these days.

I'm just sad we live in a world where a law like this needs to be debated. If I'm crossing the road where objects travelling at potentially high rates of speed that weigh over a thousand pounds exist, I'm going to look and make sure none are about to collide with me. Seems like common sense, but then common sense is exactly what's lacking these days.

I'm with you but I grew up with the look before you cross mentality. Parents today didn't grow up with that attitude and obviously aren't going to instill the attitude in their children. After all, their child is the centre of the universe.

Cows and deer are somewhat similar but while a deer is wary, always looking out for dangers a cow is a zombie. You can walk up to a cow with an ax in your hand and pound it over the head and it still won't know what to do.

Niagara on the Lake is a cute little town but people think Queen Street, the main drag, is a shopping mall and you can just walk across anywhere without looking. The same happens at grocery stores, malls, mall parking lots etc. Give them a twenty foot wide driveway and they push their two foot wide cart right down the middle. MOOOOve over cow.

Add in cell phones and ear buds (They don't want to hear sounds of dangers) and it gets worse. As those quiet sneaky electric vehicles become more commonplace it will get worse.

If the law passes it will only be enforced in rare cases.

Hopefully it will exonerate motorists from damage claims when the problem is pedestrian caused.

What about the repairs to the grill of the car? At the moment it would likely be covered by the uninsured vehicle portion of your policy being expanded to cover non vehicles and unlicensed vehicles (E-bikes)

Anyone remember when we used to go down to the crosswalk as kids, and stick our arm out, make the cars all screech to a halt and then run away laughing, like we had some hidden superpower?

I don't think that would happen anymore.

As long as their estate covers the cost to remove brains and hair from my windshield and to buff out any dents & scratches and other damage their torso/cadaver caused to my vehicle, I'd be good with this.

Would probably require dash cams in all cars for evidence though.

It's sad, but necessary.

[video=youtube;sHsdxVlzM1E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHsdxVlzM1E[/video]

Is it that hard to put the phone down for 10-15 seconds to cross the street to make sure you don't get run over (or run into anything)?
I mean, it must be, because drivers also don't seem to get the point either.

Although most people likely won't care if it is made a law, the die-hard "always follow the law" people will at least consider it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom