2018 Honda Goldwing | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2018 Honda Goldwing

The near-electric smoothness and quietness is a Gold Wing feature, and given that it is maintaining the flat-6 configuration (which is about the most vibration-free engine configuration that you can have) I wouldn't expect this to change. If you want something that rips and snorts and shakes a little, you'll be shopping elsewhere ... this won't change.

Fj 09

The Honda US vs Canadian prices used to make it so much the other way and US Honda dealers were banned from selling to Canadians.

Am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything. Most manufacturers have "country" MSRP pricing for everything they produce. Sometimes it works in our favor and sometimes not. Most of the time US pricing, numerically, is less than Canadian pricing, but you have to factor in exchange rates to determine net real cost to you. When the CAN dollars was at par there were often huge savings buying in the US or online from the US, now, not so much and you have to check item by item.

I know someone who works both in Canada and in the US and most often gets paid in US dollars to a US dollar account. Their US wage rate has remained constant or increased but due to exchange rates they've effectively had a huge raise over the last 3 - 4 years.

The near-electric smoothness and quietness is a Gold Wing feature, and given that it is maintaining the flat-6 configuration (which is about the most vibration-free engine configuration that you can have) I wouldn't expect this to change. If you want something that rips and snorts and shakes a little, you'll be shopping elsewhere ... this won't change.

No need to snort or shake . But have some sort of life . They made it into a appliance with no life . I think they sis the right thing loose weight , new engine and removable top case . Suspension upgrade is a big plus .

Perhaps changing to react to the new Yamaha Venture and Eluder. Nice bikes priced at $31,999.00 and $27,099.00. The Venture has sold out in Canada at the moment, all production has been to fill pre-orders. I was unable to get a delivery date on the Eluder.

They might also be targeting some of the ST1300 group the ones who were more at the touring edge of that market. I know a few of them, they would have never looked at a GW before, they snubbed the CTX, they are at least giving this bike a sniff.

to me , the CTX was just unpleasant to look at, odd styling.
The GW is one of the few bikes I could ride from Toronto to Montreal and just step off and feel fine. Its a rediculously comfortable machine, and now better suspension , some new electronics..... and ready to compete with Yamaha's new offerings. It should sell just fine.

They might also be targeting some of the ST1300 group the ones who were more at the touring edge of that market. I know a few of them, they would have never looked at a GW before, they snubbed the CTX, they are at least giving this bike a sniff.

Most of the ST crowd is reconciled that Honda will not be introducing a replacement bike as Honda still has new unsold ST1300's from 2012. The trimmed down GW is appealing and some ST riders will move to it. Unfortunately the GW is substantially more expensive than an FJR or other ST type bikes.

The CTX, I think, was Honda trying to leverage the ST1300 motor and parts bin to recoup investment in ST1300's that were selling in very small volumes and it died quickly as it appealed to virtually no one. ST riders love their ST1100's and ST1300's, but there just aren't a lot of riders in this segment. On any given weekend how many ST's, FJR's or BMW RT's do you see vs. cruisers, sport or super sport bikes, it's a pretty limited market overall.

No need to snort or shake . But have some sort of life . They made it into a appliance with no life . I think they sis the right thing loose weight , new engine and removable top case . Suspension upgrade is a big plus .

That seems to be honda's MO these days

The inline six is rediculously smooth and powerful, it just floats down the highway at 120 for as long as you care to ride with no vibration. Its a very different ride from some other big cruisers, but thats the idea.

Ex-actly. It's all in the name: Gold Wing. The flat-6 is an motorcycling icon. Wish they would re-introduce the flat-4 in something, instead of wasting resources on styling exercises and concept bikes.

Just saw a commercial for it. I think they are going in a good direction for who the bike is aimed at.

Agreed, but its not aimed at me. This is riding! Do they really need to be this big? I'll be looking for a 2-up 3-bag touring bike next year, but for that money, I'd rather get a Versys 1000 and have enough left over for a YZ250FX. But I am curious about the new H2 tourer and the rumoured Tracer GT.

Agreed, but its not aimed at me. This is riding! Do they really need to be this big? I'll be looking for a 2-up 3-bag touring bike next year, but for that money, I'd rather get a Versys 1000 and have enough left over for a YZ250FX. But I am curious about the new H2 tourer and the rumoured Tracer GT.

I've always liked the look of the old Royal Star Venture and the Royal Star Touring. Back in the 20th century, they were a wee bit bigger than a GL1100, but as the Goldwings got bigger, Yamaha didn't upsize from the vMax 1300 v-4. I still see some decent ones on kijiji for well under $10k.

I absolutely refuse to ride a Goldwing, mostly because I am afraid I might like it...

It could happen, the engineers got the balance nicely sorted with a very low COG, it has get up and go, and now has better stopping and less dive when braking.

moto camping would be different since you could probably pull a pop up camper.....

If I could afford it, I'd buy the new Goldwing today and give up my sports bikes.

Might actually try and demo it this summer. Be the youngest goldwing rider ever?

Back
Top Bottom