2018 Honda Goldwing | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2018 Honda Goldwing

If I could afford it, I'd buy the new Goldwing today and give up my sports bikes.

Ride it first. You might change your mind.

ST riders love their ST1100's and ST1300's, but there just aren't a lot of riders in this segment. On any given weekend how many ST's, FJR's or BMW RT's do you see vs. cruisers, sport or super sport bikes, it's a pretty limited market overall.
True, they only sell a couple of thousand of these bikes each year, I suspect they can cover the needs by tweaking other bikes in their lineup.

ST bikes are bought by folks that need sport bike performance AND need features, comfort, cargo capacity, and durability found on touring machines. It is a small crowd, and there are lots of options other then ST in this category -- unfortunately only the ST1300 and FJR are what I call Bulletproof. Sad to see the ST1300 go, I'm seeing most of those riders buying FJRs now.

True, they only sell a couple of thousand of these bikes each year, I suspect they can cover the needs by tweaking other bikes in their lineup.

ST bikes are bought by folks that need sport bike performance AND need features, comfort, cargo capacity, and durability found on touring machines. It is a small crowd, and there are lots of options other then ST in this category -- unfortunately only the ST1300 and FJR are what I call Bulletproof. Sad to see the ST1300 go, I'm seeing most of those riders buying FJRs now.
No Connie in the list?

No Connie in the list?
There are plenty of bikes in this category (Connie, KTM SDukeGT, Ducati MultiS, Guzzi VTV8, BMW GT/RT, GSX1250F...) and they are all great bikes. Ask an ST1300 or FJR rider about major repairs -- It's common to go 100,000KM+ without a repair, just routine maintenance. Ask riders of the other brands, you're likely to get at least one, probably more wallet breaking stories in the first 100K.

Specific to Connies, I'm a fan. I rode one for a day and it was teriffic - I liked it more then my FJR. The owner sufferred from a lot of niggly issues that are familiar to Connie owners - condensation in headlights lenses and guages, starting issues, brake rotors, fuel tank corrosion, excessive front tire wear driveshaft... design and build quality stuff that keep it from being bulletproof.

The first GW i was involved with 1100cc, 4cyl 4 carbs went 180,000kms before the tachometer cable broke, and at 200,000 it needed the carbs changed out.
Other than that , it was routine maintenence. The guy that rode it after me put another 80,000k on it. It was well faded and looked the mileage it had run, but it always ran.

The first GW i was involved with 1100cc, 4cyl 4 carbs went 180,000kms before the tachometer cable broke, and at 200,000 it needed the carbs changed out.
Other than that , it was routine maintenence. The guy that rode it after me put another 80,000k on it. It was well faded and looked the mileage it had run, but it always ran.
I think that's a testament to Honda dependability. I just got one owner GL1000 with 100K, runs like a top and the only said all he has ever done is routine maintenance -- the only repair he can remember is replacing a start switch button. I've had a number of makes, my favorite brand for dependability and easy of maintenance is Yamaha.

There are plenty of bikes in this category (Connie, KTM SDukeGT, Ducati MultiS, Guzzi VTV8, BMW GT/RT, GSX1250F...) and they are all great bikes. Ask an ST1300 or FJR rider about major repairs -- It's common to go 100,000KM+ without a repair, just routine maintenance. Ask riders of the other brands, you're likely to get at least one, probably more wallet breaking stories in the first 100K. Specific to Connies, I'm a fan. I rode one for a day and it was teriffic - I liked it more then my FJR. The owner sufferred from a lot of niggly issues that are familiar to Connie owners - condensation in headlights lenses and guages, starting issues, brake rotors, fuel tank corrosion, excessive front tire wear driveshaft... design and build quality stuff that keep it from being bulletproof.
I had an original Connie, never had issues except for the brake rotor. Original owner said he had just replaced them, when he hadn't, and I carved a nice groove into them before I realized it. That being said, none of these bikes are really like a Goldwing, and in the new world, none of the manufacturers spend as much effort, time or money on older bikes as they used to.

I'd rather sit on a couch that requires no effort on my part to be stabilized. But that's besides the point. The tech advancements are impressive for sure and there's a big market for bikes like this. Maybe when I'm 60...

I'd rather sit on a couch that requires no effort on my part to be stabilized. But that's besides the point. The tech advancements are impressive for sure and there's a big market for bikes like this. Maybe when I'm 60...

If i still maintain my rugged good looks at 60, i'll be on a harley, if not....gold wing

-Ask an ST1300 or FJR rider about major repairs -- It's common to go 100,000KM+ without a repair, just routine maintenance. Ask riders of the other brands, you're likely to get at least one, probably more wallet breaking stories in the first 100K.

100,000 km is nothing on a ST1100 or ST1300, they're just nicely broken in at this point. Of the hundreds of Honda ST's I've seen at ST events I travel to the average 1100's have anywhere from 150,000 km to 300,000 km on them and no one I know has ever had anything other than routine maintenance to do. Top km guy on the ST1100 was 640,000 km. This was about 6 or 7 years ago and he is still riding the same bike, so who knows how many km it has at this point. Same with the FJR and the ST1300, these are quality bikes built for long term use.

World's best touring bike, but 35mpg is terrible. An 1800cc 6cyl is excessive. If I had to go all the way around North America it's the best choice outside of fuel economy.

World's best touring bike, but 35mpg is terrible. An 1800cc 6cyl is excessive. If I had to go all the way around North America it's the best choice outside of fuel economy.
Mileage on GL1800 (Imperial measure - Canada) is about 45mpg, that compares with most heavy cruisers.

Big STs do a little better, but not much better.

I was over 60 riding through Vicksburg Mississippi and getting some AA batteries at Home Depot. The young chicky cashier commented "Aren't you a kind of old to be riding a motorcycle?"

It could have been an interesting conversation if I asked her at what age one should stop having fun. When does the highlight of your day become the latest episode of some soap opera?

Anyone consider this now that Honda has made a really serious attempt to address some of the issues with the previous design?The price is probably way out of my range.But the technology is great.
[video=youtube;hrKT9QE91Nw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrKT9QE91Nw[/video]

Ric

I will let you take mine out for a spin. Bought the White DCT Tour.

Looking to to sell my 06 ST 1300.

Jay

Haven't been to a honda demo ride in years, perhaps i will check out the new goldwing

My 2001 1800 gets 45mpg when i'm hard on the throttle or riding it like an old man.

Back
Top Bottom