High mileage riders. Some advice needed | GTAMotorcycle.com

High mileage riders. Some advice needed

CageyB

Site Supporter
I'm coming up on 78000km, and noticed that she's starting to burn a little oil. 7000 km so far this season, and it went from the top fill line to bottom one, which got me thinking. At what point do you consider to retire your ride?

I'll keep this bike until the end, which should be another few years, and at least 100 000km. I've also test rode a few others and with the mods I've put it, nothing gave me the same joy.

How many clicks on your bike?

I'm coming up on 78000km, and noticed that she's starting to burn a little oil. 7000 km so far this season, and it went from the top fill line to bottom one, which got me thinking. At what point do you consider to retire your ride?

I'll keep this bike until the end, which should be another few years, and at least 100 000km. I've also test rode a few others and with the mods I've put it, nothing gave me the same joy.

1 litre or less in 7000 km is not excessive consumption. If you are happy with the bike then keep rolling on.

80000 kms.2012. Bought new. Regular services. Getting an average of 45 miles per gallon, Imperial. Not easy on the throttle. Zoom, Zoom.

Touch wood, knock, knock. no problems. No idea if or when I am going to retire the bike.

I understand what you mean about all the bolt on goodies. Same here.

when the range/tank drops off considerably
or you have blue smog
it's time to be concerned
until then no worries

also make sure you're using the correct oil

Some manufacturers say 1L of oil consumed per 1000km is normal. Seems crazy to me, but I don't make the rules.

Until I was throwing a cloud behind me, I wouldn't retire for oil consumption. More likely it would get to a point where lots of maintenance was required (eg wheel bearings, tires, plugs and/or coils) and it wouldn't be worth putting that much money into it. If you truly love that bike and don't want something else, logic doesn't matter, do maintenance regardless of cost and enjoy the ride.

Some bikes don't "burn oil" as much as lose it out the breather on high speed runs. A litre in 7k is nothing to be concerned about ( 130k km on my 650 Vstrom )

Blue smoke ....then be concerned.

That's not using A LOT of oil. Normal at that mileage.
You have to figure out where it is going to know what to do next.

If it blows blue smoke all the time, and has oil in the airbox: rings.
If it blows blue smoke on deceleration: valve guides and seals.
If it is all over the motor: it leaks.
Do a compression test and check that you have crankcase vents that vent.

Some oil consumption is a good thing. It keeps you checking your oil.

Nothing to worry about.My Wing never uses any oil.I had an airhead that used a liter every 4k.Normal for both.

Pfft. My old CM250 goes through a litre every 2000km with new rings. These old OHC air cooled bikes blow it past the rings, valves or whatever at high RPM. I'm not worried as long as it starts and makes it up hills.

-I've never "retired" a bike, someone else has always been willing to take it. That includes a Daytona with a spun bearing, and a Suzuki GS twin frankenbike that had a spun bearing, dodgy transmission, badly worn out rings in one cylinder (start the bike wrong and it would instantly oil foul the plug)

-I had a YX600 that would burn oil seemingly only if you used much throttle when it was cold. When it warmed up, it was perfectly happy

-The bike I have enjoyed the most I still have, sitting in my garage, waiting for me to have the time to get it running & roadworthy again

You don't mention what bike you have. Increasing oil consumption may be a common theme for your model and as per post #8 there could be a number of things causing this. I don't think 1l / 7,000km is a rate to be too concerned about at this point.

My 15+ year old ST has just 110,000 km on it and burns zero oil between semi annual oil changes. Same with all of the ST riders I know and they have anywhere from 120,000 - 200,000 km on their bikes.

After 5 seasons so far and 70K, mine doesn't burn any oil at all.

See my sig, none of my bikes have ever burnt oil. Not sure if that's the Rotella T6 or just plain luck

The bike is a 2006 SV650, using Rotella T for the past few seasons. I've never noticed any consumption before and I've had her since new.

Say what you will about the SV, she's my baby for the next few years at least. I'm just overly forward thinking.

Thanks all!

Did you do many sustained high speed runs?....the Suzuki 650 motors tend to spit out oil at sustained speed

What are we considering as high speed for the purposes of this discussion? Google isn't helping me.

Another Rotella T user here, put 40,000KM on the bike since buying it late summer 2015, burns/uses/looses absolutely no oil at all.

As along as the oil burning isn't causing reliability issues or being a pain (Carrying extra oil on 100 km rides) enjoy the moment. I believe in maintaining equipment but not overkill.

Back
Top Bottom