Insurance cost has gone crazy, What insurance co is fair $$ for large cc "R" bikes?? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance cost has gone crazy, What insurance co is fair $$ for large cc "R" bikes??

Re: Insurance cost has gone crazy, What insurance co is fair $$ for large cc "R" bik

the street triple R is a supersport... just a naked one. I own a 2016 myself and good luck insuring them. insurance knows about the loophole. I ride with r6s and cbr600rrs and zx6r and keep up every situation. they just have a little bit more top speed mine is governed at around 255-260kmh. I race my buddy on his 2009 gsx-r600 and leave him everytime. the only bike that will pull away is the r6. at speeds of 0-200kmh they are all very similar except the gixxer which Is terribly slow

the difference between the "R" on the Street Triple is in the suspension and brakes. ( The "R" model uses fully adjustable forks), and a different sticker on the side with a "R" . Nothing different in the Engine. :)

Re: Insurance cost has gone crazy, What insurance co is fair $$ for large cc "R" bik

the street triple R is a supersport... just a naked one. I own a 2016 myself and good luck insuring them. insurance knows about the loophole. I ride with r6s and cbr600rrs and zx6r and keep up every situation. they just have a little bit more top speed mine is governed at around 255-260kmh. I race my buddy on his 2009 gsx-r600 and leave him everytime. the only bike that will pull away is the r6. at speeds of 0-200kmh they are all very similar except the gixxer which Is terribly slow

Not quite true.

Insurance is still refusing to insure me on SS's or when they want my money they are asking $4,500+/yr. Just for kicks i asked about a 2012 street triple RS with say 30,000km and they quoted me at $2,200.

Performance wise? Sure.

Also just for fun i asked about a brand new MV Agusta Brutale 800CC, quote was less than $1,800. Go figure.

Also just for fun i asked about a brand new MV Agusta Brutale 800CC, quote was less than $1,800. Go figure.

Not surprised. Starting with a more expensive bike can get you cheaper insurance because many young and invincible riders tend to buy cheaper bikes. I think this was how S1000RR had affordable insurance for a while (until the price dropped on the used ones and they started getting crashed much more frequently).

Not surprised. Starting with a more expensive bike can get you cheaper insurance because many young and invincible riders tend to buy cheaper bikes. I think this was how S1000RR had affordable insurance for a while (until the price dropped on the used ones and they started getting crashed much more frequently).

I suppose. I find it a bit ridiculous that a $20k bike will be cheaper to insure then a $7k one. Now that i think about it probably aren't too many MVs around though.

Switch to a B-King. They are classed as sport touring and quite cheap to insure...

There are blacklists. I had been with Dejardins for years, never had a claim, multiple bikes -- they blacklist most SS / R bikes -- they would not add a Busa to my policy, I had to move to TD.

I suppose. I find it a bit ridiculous that a $20k bike will be cheaper to insure then a $7k one. Now that i think about it probably aren't too many MVs around though.

thats how it goes...a mazda 3 is more to insure than a tesla.

There are blacklists. I had been with Dejardins for years, never had a claim, multiple bikes -- they blacklist most SS / R bikes -- they would not add a Busa to my policy, I had to move to TD.
Hi, may I ask what premium you're paying with TD for a busa? Also, safe to assume you're 30+? Thanks

The "R" with the Triumph has absolutely nothing to do with engine performance, it is suspension and brakes like Kiwi stated. On paper, and through insurance, the Street Triple does not follow under the SS category.
TD quoted me $3200/yr for a GSXR 600, $1650/yr for a Street Triple R, and $1780 for an FZ09.

Last edited:

Last year Certas (Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance ) took over State Farm, and since then the cost of my insurance has gone up huge.

Called around, and because I have over 1000 cc and there is the letter "R" in the model, many companies won't even insure it...

Who has reasonable insurance for the over 1000 cc ???

I'm with TD and pay $800/year for my Busa and $100/year for my DRZ400S

All State if you're 30+, no need to bundle, they can do a stand alone policy.

Hi, may I ask what premium you're paying with TD for a busa? Also, safe to assume you're 30+? Thanks
I pay $1210 for my Hayabusa. I do about, get discounts for bundling home insurance, I'm 50+ with a clean record, live in Markham, have been insured continuiously for along time. For kicks I had them quote my son, 23, 5 years licenced, would add $6900 as an occasional rider. Instead he's insured as the principal rider on a Ninja Ex250R which costs him less than $400/year -- since he's fully insured on his own bike he can legally ride my Busa or FJR without being listed as an occasional rider at no additional cost. My wife has an M2 and is not insured on anything, she cannot ride (front seat) on the Busa and my other bikes unless I pay for her to be an occassional rider.

Who has reasonable insurance for the over 1000 cc ???

$840 for the CBF1000 with Chris South ( Aviva )

I pay $1210 for my Hayabusa. I do about, get discounts for bundling home insurance, I'm 50+ with a clean record, live in Markham, have been insured continuiously for along time. For kicks I had them quote my son, 23, 5 years licenced, would add $6900 as an occasional rider. Instead he's insured as the principal rider on a Ninja Ex250R which costs him less than $400/year -- since he's fully insured on his own bike he can legally ride my Busa or FJR without being listed as an occasional rider at no additional cost. My wife has an M2 and is not insured on anything, she cannot ride (front seat) on the Busa and my other bikes unless I pay for her to be an occassional rider.
Thanks! Looks like I have no hope of riding a busa anytime soon. Been a dream since I was a kid. I was hoping to get one once I hit 30.

Allstate is the new State Farm (in terms of rates). What sucks is that I went from a Gixxer 1000 to an Aprilia Tuono but my rate stayed exactly the same. I guess they still consider the Tuono as a supersport literbike. Not really fair since that's what the RSV4 is... Tuono should be cheaper. Oh well.

^ that surprises me... I almost purchased tuono because the rate would have been same as my old monster.

Im with allstate no as well. 1250/yeah for 848 evo, and it should drop to about 860 next year. They look for 3 consecutive years of insurance and it should drop (thats what I was told).

I would give Jeff Lynn at Allstate a call. They literally don't have any blacklisted bikes and have really good rates. Contact Jeff Lynn - 519-471-1900 Ext 5010.

My company called it a "restricted" motorcycle, not a black listed one as such and the very first year the F3 was imported into Canada it was a brand new machine with zero road history to draw from, but the insurance people had already decided it was a high liability motorcycle. They pulled that conclusion right out of thin air.

Fair motorcycle insurance in Ontario is an oxymoron. If it was fair then we would be insuring the rider, not the model of motorcycle and there would be recognition given to the fact you simply can not ride all 7 or 8 or whatever of your vehicles at the same time.

Don't even try and apply logic to motorcycle insurance rates, it will just drive you crazy because there is no logic being applied, it's based on complete utter nonsense. Our insurance rates are calculated on corporate profits and losses, but they are entitled to never lose money so it's only about profits. We should all be so lucky as to operate a business that sells a compulsory product at whatever cost the market will bare and always turn a healthy profit.

Back
Top Bottom