Ducati owners with ONE key issue | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati owners with ONE key issue

update:

As for the keys, they did contact Ducati of Canada, and no luck. no one keeps a record of the code card as its too much liability. Jim explained that in the early 2000s, there was a BMW manager in one of the US dealerships that was selling the codes to individuals and was responsible for thousands of thefts. After this incident, they stopped registering the codes for liability reasons...

So im left with finding out the previous owners name and try to contact him my self and see if he can maybe find it.
Thats a total BS, the problem you have is the sale person at the time sold you this bike stated " THIS BIKE COMES WITH 1 KEY ONLY" the manager seems working at you side but than he is just covering up his people issue. At least this is how i see the problem.

Thats a total BS, the problem you have is the sale person at the time sold you this bike stated " THIS BIKE COMES WITH 1 KEY ONLY" the manager seems working at you side but than he is just covering up his people issue. At least this is how i see the problem.
I agree. If i end up having issues getting one, Ill be forced to increase this matter as well.. its already a small headache as its hard to find someone who actually can clone one. Im being patient right now and keeping cool. Ill see if I can get this done without their help

Nothing really new with this type of issue. I bought from Two Wheel in Guelph a used Burgman. One key only, now I have to try and find original owner for second and its tag as the lock system is magnet sensitive. Sure you can cut a blank Ilco key but god help you if the shutter gets closed and you cannot find your original. Just plain bad dealership presentation. As for up to date service always take that with a heavy helping of salt. Do your own if you can. Buyer beware.....

unless I'm paying a SIGNIFICANT amount under market I'm just not buying a one key, no code card, no red key product. If the previous owner 'lost' the red key or code card, which owning a Ducati is like losing your birth certificate or health card, what else is sketchy with a product like that? As the "new" owner of the maranello Duc has found , no claimed service work was done.

Once the salesman has closed the deal his level of interest is about zero. The sales manager sees it as sucking another few hundred out of the sale so he's not motivated either.

Even the import euro cars with the coded keys are a complete pain to replace and really expensive, no being critical, well maybe a bit, but why buy a one key wonder unless its really rare and your willing to suffer to get spares? I'd need many hundreds off market value.

I got lucky as the owner of Edge Performance was selling his personal bike so I snapped it up. Properly maintained, and I got 6 ignition keys and 8 luggage keys lol.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I rec`d the one red key and the regular fob with a key. That unlocks the rear seat. Never had a problem with fob. Leave it on the rear bag, or in my jacket pocket.

The dealership did the service, and picked her up on friday just in time to get some riding in that day.
I also found someone who does keys for $140 (key incl), so thats my priority for now... Ill be still fishing to find the previous owner and possibly trying the dealership it was originally sold at, they might have a record who knows.

Also found couple places in US that actually reflash the lcd display, make a new code and make 2 keys.. so this whole "need to buy a Brand New display" is B.S.

The dealership did the service, and picked her up on friday just in time to get some riding in that day.
I also found someone who does keys for $140 (key incl), so thats my priority for now... Ill be still fishing to find the previous owner and possibly trying the dealership it was originally sold at, they might have a record who knows.

The guy I referred you to did mine for something like $80 and he provided the blank.

its a used bike...they'll resell it as they got it. They don't dish out money to make it like a new sale (manuals, keys, stock parts etc)... they will make that bike, as you see it, in a safe condition to be sold.

Are all new bikes this hokey, where you need two keys and a red tag, or just Ducati?

Last edited:
got my key duplicated on a 2008 hypermotard,. But I cannot get a hold of the guy recently. If I do I will let you know

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Are all new bikes this hokey, where you need two keys and a red tag, or just Ducati?

Nah only ducati afaik

The Japanese are far too sensible for this sort of ****

My KTMs have key cards, an orange key and 2 black keys...

ESPRO
thats really cheap!!! he never emailed me.
I found a guy close to me for $140 with key. It works... its not identical to my OEM key but has same shape.

Last edited:
JFD
it would be understandable if they "disclosed" everything. In stead, they never mentioned "FYI it only has ONE key", which is quite important in the world of DUCs, nor did they state "as is" and they did state "FULL SERVICE will be done before the sale". I asked multiple times about the belts being done and all, which they said YES to it as well.

So used or new, they sold me on the "FULL SERVICE" which was not performed, and even the basic safety was not performed correctly.

At this point Im just hoping they can manage to click the mouse a couple of times and let me know where it was originally sold at.

Back
Top Bottom