Ducati owners with ONE key issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati owners with ONE key issue

Hey guys,
im specifically looking for some general info about your experience. I just purchased a 848evo(used) from Maranello bmw/ducati in Vaughan and to my surprise, at my pickup, they only gave me one key and tried to convince me this model did not come with a Key Card and 2 keys. After finally proving to the salesman that it even states in the original users manual, the importance of the Key Card, I haven't been able to get the card from anyone or a second key.

Has anyone been successful in getting the code and/or cloning a 2nd backup key?? where did you get it done and price?

This whole transaction at this dealership left a bad taste in my mouth... ill share this experience another time as its still being resolved....

Thanks

how much time has passed?
I'd call up and ask for the dealer principal to get involved
and be respectful but firm

anyone know the owner?

I can't help you with your question.

But I was wondering if you don't mind sharing your purchase and after sales experience with them. I am considering visiting them for a potential future purchase and wanted to know how they compare to another Ducati dealership e.g. GP Bikes.

Thanks

I picked up the bike yesterday.
so this is still being resolved, Im trying to be patient and respectful but made it clear I am not happy with the overall experience.

this is what happened:
Bike was left unwashed, dusty and dirty, the way it was when I saw it first time.... though "no big deal"
I received only ONE key and the salesguy tried to tell me that this model did not come with a Key Card, just 2 keys... I had to convince him that it SHOULD have the card and 2 keys... he said he would look into it.
Before purchase I asked about the service it needs, I was told the bike will be sold with FULL service done on it. at pick up, I asked for service history and found out this bike was NEVER serviced at that location but at an independent shop 100miles from the location by a well known mechanic... and tried to convince me that the service was done 100% and he will verify this with the indy shop.

I rode it home and began my little inspection and found the following:
-No license plate light (tail tidy but no light)
-rear brake pads ALMOST at 1mm!
-front brakes ok shape but squeek like crazy
-left main fairing all scratched up! (turns out the previous owner laid it down at a very slow speed enough to scratch it in 2 areas). i didn't notice this when I looked at the bike 3x as the lighting in the garage was dim.
-upper fairing right corner is scratched to the plastic (didn't notice that as well until in direct light)
-Oil was old and not changed , in my opinion for at least a year

I know buying a used bike is not same as a new one, but when Im spending a nice chunk of cash on something that is fairly low miles from an actual DEALER, My mind should be at ease and I shouldn't be questioning the safety of the vehicle. The cosmetics is my fault for not noticing, even though they DID NOT mention any of the damage aside from a small scuff in the belt area.

I went beack to them today, they did the oil change and ordered a new set of pads for the back... gave me a LED lights for the plate... but I still have not received any definite information regarding the 15k service that was apparently done and any help with the key issue... I stressed the importance of the service on belts and valves 4x before buying it and everytime they made it seem like it was done by them already and EVERYTHING is perfect. I asked about the fairing as well, and he will check in with his body shop to see what they can do.

My biggest concern now is:
based on how they did the SAFETY, how can i believe them regarding the major service done on it, and the key issue... the rest I can live with and swallow my pride.

Im hoping to get more answers by next week on monday or tuesday.

See if they are helpful, if not, make as much noise on the web/social media as possible

Businesses(especially small/mid sized ones) live and die by their reputation , they know this and once start to feel the heat will likely be more helpful

You NEED the red key.
If anything ever goes wrong with the electronics you must have it to reprogram the system after any parts are replaced.
If they (or the original owner) cannot provide make them buy it back.
You're screwed otherwise.

red keys were only given up to 2007. after that it was two keys and the Card. I know the card contains 2 codes, one electrical and one mechanical.
https://www.slideshare.net/andonis-artist/ducati-848evo2011ownersmanual
ill be pushing for this but I am very skeptical. many many owners loose this card and there is no way of retrieving the # unless the original dealer that sold the bike made a copy of it.

manufacturer will have the info available crossed to VIN
but will require dealer involvement
and probably some cost

Im counting on that.. ill be pushing them to get the info for me.

as for the service being done, ill be doing some of my own checking on sunday to see if the belts were replaced recently.

Im counting on that.. ill be pushing them to get the info for me.

as for the service being done, ill be doing some of my own checking on sunday to see if the belts were replaced recently.
I don't trust dealers techs, if you need anything pm Frekeguy

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Ducati owners club and please enjoy your new ride when sorting things out. I have had Ducs for years and while mine did come with the red key and card, I have never had to use it and I have even replaced the cpu. The tech that does the work can work around this so I would not worry and you won't need it for battery changes either. The thing about buying a used Ducati from a dealer or even private is that you don't know its true service history without someone providing you a receipt or service invoice. Every Ducati I buy used, I presume it is over due for service and get it done so I have piece of mind and I plan on keeping it anyways, so get it serviced and start fresh. Everything else on these is straight forward and requires regular maintenance like very other bike which means constant oil changes, tires and eventually brakes. Bike ownership is expensive and Ducati ownership is a lot more expensive, but the feel, sound and connection they provide is priceless in my opinion. You do no buy italian as a smart rational purchase. They are completely irrational and that is what makes them so beautiful. Do not worry about the little things and enjoy your new ride.

Welcome to the Ducati owners club and please enjoy your new ride when sorting things out. I have had Ducs for years and while mine did come with the red key and card, I have never had to use it and I have even replaced the cpu. The tech that does the work can work around this so I would not worry and you won't need it for battery changes either. The thing about buying a used Ducati from a dealer or even private is that you don't know its true service history without someone providing you a receipt or service invoice. Every Ducati I buy used, I presume it is over due for service and get it done so I have piece of mind and I plan on keeping it anyways, so get it serviced and start fresh. Everything else on these is straight forward and requires regular maintenance like very other bike which means constant oil changes, tires and eventually brakes. Bike ownership is expensive(1) and Ducati ownership is a lot more expensive, but the feel, sound and connection they provide is priceless in my opinion. You do no buy italian as a smart rational purchase. They are completely irrational and that is what makes them so beautiful. Do not worry about the little things and enjoy your new ride.

Translation: Your ****ed.

I kid I kid

1) Apart from insurance in ontario, bike ownership is not expensive.
If your bike is gutting your finances, you bought the wrong bike

I fully agree... I usually do that with every vehicle I buy that is used. Check and replace all fluids and do all service unless I can actually see for myself that it has been replaced.
Im not afraid of these bikes and I wouldn't hesitate to get my hands dirty and do some if not all things on these, after all, its just another machine that requires human hands.
Thanks for the reassurance that most likely I won't need to use a code... I guess thats just one of these things you hope you don't and you actually don't here many people experiencing first hand, but at the same time, if it was not necessary than why have it in first place and why wouldn't the actual Dealer have the ability to find it. It blows my mind that something so "important" can be lost for ever.

either way, the machine runs amazing and Im looking forward to breaking some necks when on the road ;)

I'm with you OP

chances are you will not need the code
but I'd get it now while you should be in a position to get help from selling dealer

down the road if you have an issue acquiring the info will delay the service
and I bet you have to pay for it

just had a look at the belts (lower) to verify if they were replaced recently... surprise surprise... doesn't look like it. they look old, at least a year if not two.
I know visually its my fault for not noticing the outside damage, but this is something beyond that. The sale included a full service and NOTHING has been done on this bike. Is there any lawyer on this forum that is interested in a fun case?? Id love to go back there this week and whip some ***ducbelts-3.jpgducbelts-6.jpgducbelts-5.jpgducbelts.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the Ducati world as I am a new ducati owner myself.
anyways to your question,
I asked the same question to my dealership (GPBikes) what happen if I lost my key / only left with 1 key. the answer is DONT lol because they told me the KEY is not somthing you can replace(2017 panigale). If you happen to lost ALL the key you will have to change the following on a 2017 Panigale , ECU + ignition (which comes with 2 set of new kit) = P/L u are looking at around 2k. thats on a 2017 panigale with immobilizer not sure if your ducati have it.

having said above. i was advise you can make you own key and program it so you have your 3rd key. I was told you need to cut a 3rd key than go back to dealership and using your 2 OEM KEY to program the 3rd key. if you lost your OE key or only have 1 OE, you can not program it.

I brought my 959 new at gp bike and was given 2 keys.

side story, I never have any good experience with Maranello, from BMW dealership to service to motorcycle . there names has gone down so much that you can trust 1% of what they are saying. there is many incidence and finally enough is enough so I sold my BMW and never went back to this dealership.

good luck with your ducati, maybe its time to get the higher management in your case. check your bill of sale. see if anywere stated if you were provided with 1 key or 2. good luck ! enjoy you Duc.

update:

Went back to them yesterday, explained everything to Jim, hes one of the higher ppl in that building. To my surprise, he gave me zero problems and without hesitating, told me to bring it in and they will do the valves and belts as was promised at the sale. :)
I was very impressed how he handled this...

As for the keys, they did contact Ducati of Canada, and no luck. no one keeps a record of the code card as its too much liability. Jim explained that in the early 2000s, there was a BMW manager in one of the US dealerships that was selling the codes to individuals and was responsible for thousands of thefts. After this incident, they stopped registering the codes for liability reasons...

So im left with finding out the previous owners name and try to contact him my self and see if he can maybe find it.

So in general, the cosmetics I can't really argue, but as for the mechanical part I was able to get them to do what they promised from the beginning. Wish they did all of this right off the bat. I believe this could have been avoided if the sales rep was professional and actually cared about the customer. Used or New, each vehicle that is sold should be treated equally. After all, we pay less for older vehicles due to the age and milage, not for worse service.

Im off to drop off the bike now

If you have one key, get a copy made. nariusb@gmail.com can do it, shoot him an email. Had it done for mine. I ride with my copied key and keep the original safe. Have had zero issues

update:

Went back to them yesterday, explained everything to Jim, hes one of the higher ppl in that building. To my surprise, he gave me zero problems and without hesitating, told me to bring it in and they will do the valves and belts as was promised at the sale. :)
I was very impressed how he handled this...

As for the keys, they did contact Ducati of Canada, and no luck. no one keeps a record of the code card as its too much liability. Jim explained that in the early 2000s, there was a BMW manager in one of the US dealerships that was selling the codes to individuals and was responsible for thousands of thefts. After this incident, they stopped registering the codes for liability reasons...

So im left with finding out the previous owners name and try to contact him my self and see if he can maybe find it.

So in general, the cosmetics I can't really argue, but as for the mechanical part I was able to get them to do what they promised from the beginning. Wish they did all of this right off the bat. I believe this could have been avoided if the sales rep was professional and actually cared about the customer. Used or New, each vehicle that is sold should be treated equally. After all, we pay less for older vehicles due to the age and milage, not for worse service.

Im off to drop off the bike now

That does seem to be the one big problem fobs and smart keys. BMW is not quiet so bad, but I heard there is only 5 spares you can make in total before getting a new lock. I am not concerned though personally, I have never lost my keys. I do have a spare though if it did happen, but the bike only came with one key fob and one plastic key with RF to use to start the bike if I lost the fob.

Back
Top Bottom