Winter Tires recommendation | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter Tires recommendation

EC2010

Hello, bouncing off another thread on all weather vs. winter tires, thought I reach out to the community and see if anyone knows of an honest place to get winter tires with competitive pricing, other than the Costco?

looking for a brand new set of winters plus steel rims for a minivan

Thanks

Why not Costco? They are pretty competitive although I've found dealers are getting closer with their pricing as there's so much competition these days. I ended up buying Michelin X Ice tires (had them on all our cars) and the latest version of these are Latitude X Ice II's. I used to commute year round from Kingston to Ottawa and have driven on black ice highways (when the gritters screwed up) with these and they have been great. I watched people spin out in front of me but I was fine. I was driving an AWD too though.

Why not Costco? They are pretty competitive although I've found dealers are getting closer with their pricing as there's so much competition these days. I ended up buying Michelin X Ice tires (had them on all our cars) and the latest version of these are Latitude X Ice II's. I used to commute year round from Kingston to Ottawa and have driven on black ice highways (when the gritters screwed up) with these and they have been great. I watched people spin out in front of me but I was fine. I was driving an AWD too though.

thanks! Those Michelins (latitude X-ice) are exactly what I am looking at. And yes, Costco right now has the lowest price (I called a dealership and they quoted me almost $2000 including rims and labour #facepalm) With Costco, I just have to order the steelies online and bring them in when the tires arrive. Just trying to save a few bucks if possible and use them for diapers and other baby stuff.

I'm going to check CanTire also, but i think they are pretty much comparable.

Hello, bouncing off another thread on all weather vs. winter tires, thought I reach out to the community and see if anyone knows of an honest place to get winter tires with competitive pricing, other than the Costco?

looking for a brand new set of winters plus steel rims for a minivan

Thanks

If you're looking for wintes , michelin specifically, I would recommend Consumers tire on bridgeland. See Larry or Safa.
Me personally I've had the x ice 2 and x ice 3 and they have done the job. They just haven't been that great when it first starts snowing (light dusting).
Suprisingly I bought a set of firestone winters from them for cheap, compared to michelin, and they have been awesome on the sh** box camry I have lol.
Never tried the blizzaks but that will be my next tire. Looking forward to trying my pilot Alpin michelin that came with my Focus RS this winter

thanks! Those Michelins (latitude X-ice) are exactly what I am looking at. And yes, Costco right now has the lowest price (I called a dealership and they quoted me almost $2000 including rims and labour #facepalm) With Costco, I just have to order the steelies online and bring them in when the tires arrive. Just trying to save a few bucks if possible and use them for diapers and other baby stuff.

I'm going to check CanTire also, but i think they are pretty much comparable.

Just check you have the correct offset and hub pattern for the rims and also remember to save money you can size down the tires and rims with some vehicles. The Honda I'm getting comes with 18" all seasons but I can put 17" winters and rims on it.

Simply Tire, Toro Dr, North York (Keele/Finch area). Pricing on their website.

TPMS is a consideration if you're thinking about a 2nd set of wheels...

Canadian Tire - hence the name.

yup

what brand minivan? Get some used rims.

yup, kijiji is your friend

Simply Tire, Toro Dr, North York (Keele/Finch area). Pricing on their website.

TPMS is a consideration if you're thinking about a 2nd set of wheels...

yup, or get used to hearing the alarm/looking at the symbol on the dash
Ford is not bad, only squawks once then settles into the symbol nag

A relative has a '17 Honda Odyssey - bought tires only at Simply. No cheap steel wheels, gets the tires removed/replaced twice a year. Would've needed the Honda TPMS sensors on the 2nd set of wheels plus reprogramming every time they're swapped. Honda disables some features (traction control, etc) if the TPMS is missing.

My 2011 Ford is ok. My brother has the same and lives with the warning lamp all winter. I found a set of OEM wheels with the sensors so I have two sets of wheel/tires. A $30 transmitter and it's a simple retrain every time I swap sets.

if you have low profile tires (30, 35 series) - may be difficult for the tech to change tires on wheels twice a year. Hence the growing popularity of 'all weather' tires.

My wife's '15 RAV4, being built in Canada, doesn't have TPMS (a US requirement) hence a set of cheap steelies with winter tires for her.

Clarification - Honda prevents the disabling of traction control if a TPMS warning is set. You might get in a icy situation where the traction control is stopping you from getting underway and you can't override it.

I thought the new Hondas had a different tpms sensor system that doesn't require a piece of hardware, just recalibration after a wheel change.

check out steelcase tries and mags.

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

when i had a Honda the dealer price for steel rims was pretty good and no worry about bolt pattern.

when i had a Honda the dealer price for steel rims was pretty good and no worry about bolt pattern.

yep..less than $20 difference per rim with no offset/compatibility issues compared to Costco.

ive looked at costco in the past but canadian tires sale prices are cheaper.
i personally have 3 sources for staff price, quote all 3 and go to the cheapest...only once did wheels for less in brampton win

Dealer prices here were the best, and the steelies were good quality (Honda rim logos pop right in). Funny that, since their car prices sucked. Best to look around.

The dealers know if they aren't competitive they cant sell winter tire packages, hence they are often as good or better than the others (ctc,costco) and you have no fitment issues.

I thought the new Hondas had a different tpms sensor system that doesn't require a piece of hardware, just recalibration after a wheel change.

Odyssey has the old school sensors on the rims, the CRV has the indirect system with no TPMS sensors on the rims.

Kijiji. Know the size, bolt pattern and offset and see what's out there. People wreck or trade-in cars during the summer then sell their winters off cheap. Last year paid $250 for new condition 16" Honda steels with winter tires for the Accord.

Back
Top Bottom