3 men awarded 30 million by the feds | GTAMotorcycle.com

3 men awarded 30 million by the feds

feds sending military jets to assist in the ongoing civilian slaughter by saudi's....will/should be the next big suit.

we have no place in the ongoing Sunni - Shia Islamic civil war

and looks like we need more oversight for Canadian citizens accused of terrorism
and subsequently imprisoned with the aid of the RCMP, this is is getting expensive

all three were detained in the 2 years following 9/11
no doubt the civil rights of some were trampled on after that
I think we've gotten smarter than this since
I hope so, can't keep cutting these big cheques

Last edited:
One guy was in captivity for 30 days. No doubt it was a terrible time and it sounds like Canada contributed to his suffering, but htf does 30 days correlate to ~10 million dollars? It's not like any amount helps the government learn or do anything different next time.

Excessive settlements just contribute to the lottery culture of lawsuits. Thankfully, two of the ridiculous baby powder lawsuits in the US have just be axed by higher courts (one for 417 million dollars). As soon as people have something to latch on to, they go for it as it is potentially very lucrative. These guys should have counselling paid for by the government for the rest of their lives and a nominal amount of money (maybe 5 times their lost income while incarcerated?)

Well ~$10M was set a precedent in the Arar case and seems to be carrying forward. My guess, it is cheaper than spending $11M+ to lawyers to win in court. In the end only the lawyers truly win.

Well ~$10M was set a precedent in the Arar case and seems to be carrying forward. My guess, it is cheaper than spending $11M+ to lawyers to win in court. In the end only the lawyers truly win.

You're assuming they would win... It would significantly more if they took it to trial and lost.
My guess is the bigger concern is having everything brought out, and made public, in a court room.

Funny how the article doesn't mention this all happened during the infamous reign of Jean Chretien's Liberal government. The same government that brought us the draconian Firearms Act. The same police force who was exporting people to be tortured is also making firearms law in Canada. Because we can trust them to do the right thing. Right?

Anybody who has FULL & absolute trust in the government is a loon!

This is just the start . There will be more coming out now . With the government settling out of court .

That Joshua guy with an American wife. He's a convert & didn't come back to Canada to get the Timmie's

Funny how the article doesn't mention this all happened during the infamous reign of Jean Chretien's Liberal government. The same government that brought us the draconian Firearms Act. The same police force who was exporting people to be tortured is also making firearms law in Canada. Because we can trust them to do the right thing. Right?

Post-9/11 was a time where all western governments
reacted in ways that contravened civil rights of citizens

but you're right, it was his Gov, his record, he owns it

If a Canadian government employee makes a subordinate's life hell ie RCMP sexual assaults and the victims life is ruined does the victim get 10 million if it happens here?

Moral of story: Get assaulted overseas.

Travel Tip: Stay out of hell hole countries.

If a Canadian government employee makes a subordinate's life hell ie RCMP sexual assaults and the victims life is ruined does the victim get 10 million if it happens here?

Moral of story: Get assaulted overseas.

Travel Tip: Stay out of hell hole countries.

Are you volunteering to be imprisoned and tortured in Syria?

You're better off taunting the police at a G7 protest, when it's in Canada next, aren't you?

Are you volunteering to be imprisoned and tortured in Syria?

You're better off taunting the police at a G7 protest, when it's in Canada next, aren't you?

Except then you get charged and then the charges dropped in years and get no lottery win at the end. Buddy probably got over $300,000/day for his horrible experience in Syria.

Except then you get charged and then the charges dropped in years and get no lottery win at the end. Buddy probably got over $300,000/day for his horrible experience in Syria.

Could also be the other two got 15 a piece and he got almost nothing. Whatever happened to Adam Nobody's $11m lawsuit?

Could also be the other two got 15 a piece and he got almost nothing. Whatever happened to Adam Nobody's $11m lawsuit?

True, we don't know the split.

Adam settled for undisclosed amount in 2013. Another guy put in custody for 28 hours without charge (Jason Wall) sued for $25,000 and settled for an undisclosed amount. That would lead me to believe the police were handing out 5 digit settlements to make bad news disappear, not 8 digits as done by the federal goverment. Lets be honest, most of these settlements are to protect government image, not about making people that had been wronged whole again.

Torture was in the claim I believe. I wouldn't want to be imprisoned to find out.

That Joshua guy with an American wife. He's a convert & didn't come back to Canada to get the Timmie's

Very different scenario from these guys. He made the choice to go and went over on his own.

Something about that guy doesn't sit right with me.

Back
Top Bottom