What do we think of the new Z900RS? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What do we think of the new Z900RS?

Bonnevilles benefit from hiding the rad between the twin cylinders.

I think Kawi execution is excellent considering the engine config and amount of power it delivers.

And it looks cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the CB1100 is an outstanding engine in a uninspired package. The Z900 rad is a bit off, but it has to go someplace, damn you EC4 specs!

Definitely, Honda should have stuck closer to the original concept bike--the differences are subtle but it just looks cleaner. Not a custom jobby exactly, more like a cool hand who knows how to coax a bit of *slouch* out of the CAD. The sort of bike one of the members of Boris would ride. A few more horses in the paddock wouldn't go far wrong, but speed junkies would have scoffed even at 100 hp.

The Type II wasn't a bad attempt, but looked a bit too--chunky?--for my tastes. I guess I'm disappointed that Kawasaki can build the Han Solo of motorcycles, the ZRX 1100/1200 (also with radiators) and then forget their achievement. That being said, I hope it sells well enough to justify similar projects.

the CB1100 is an outstanding engine in a uninspired package. The Z900 rad is a bit off, but it has to go someplace, damn you EC4 specs!

As retromobiles go though, the Honda comes closer to the mark: dual chrome rear shocks and an air/oil coiled I4. I have to say that the Honda engine is just ****ing gorgeous and really does take me back to the days of my youth drooling over 750 Nighthawks. The only thing they missed IMO was to paint the head black and "edge" the cooling fins:

e4cae902706aec6e192c82698048c7eb.jpg

The more I look at the Kawi the more wrong that rad looks.

I'm not into those retro looks. I liked the Nighthawk S, so I too would favor the CAFE RACER 2049 styling or similar. Give me new tech function then add fresh styling. I like the FZ series and CB650F.

Last edited:
The slime green and blue paint job is ttittties but I have to agree with some of the other posters here a lot of this bike( no twin rear shocks !) is a poor effort from Kwai, thumbs down from me

Bonnevilles benefit from hiding the rad between the twin cylinders.

The water cooled Triumph modern classics have the radiator postioned "portrait" style, it's also long and narrow. The Kawasaki's is positioned "landscape", and is closer to square, more difficult to hide.

84363.jpg

Here are more shots of the Z900RS. I don't know if these colours will come to Canada. A second, café version has also been shown, this one with wire wheels, four into two exhaust, clip on bars and a small screen. I dig both versions. I think they've captured the look of the original perfectly.

Z900RS_mod.jpg

Z900RS__classic2.jpg

Z900RS_x_CAFE_1.jpg

Z900RS_x_CAFE_2.jpg

The Kawasaki and the CB1100 are miles better than the latest Yamaha, the XRS700. Yamaha uses words like "heritage" and "retro" to describe it, but I don't see anything retro about this bike at all. It's just busy and ugly.
img.jpg

Where did you get those image from? The images in the official release the tank doesn't have knee indents, the side covers are different among other things.

Where did you get those image from? The images in the official release the tank doesn't have knee indents, the side covers are different among other things.

Wow, good eye. Thanks for pointing that out. I noticed some differences in the motor, but not the tank or side covers. The photos came from http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2017/september/kawasaki-z900rs/

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about, here's the shot from CMG:

2018-Kawasaki-Z900-RS-1-9.jpg

And the one from MCN:

Z900RS__classic1.jpg

Upon closer study, there are numerous differences. Some major, some minor details. I prefer the lower bike, but I suspect the one shown by CMG is what we'll get.

Considering I’m currently riding a standard configuration of a Sportster, the Z900RS is very appealing.

Always loved the late 70s Kawis and I’d welcome this in my garage.

I imagine any concerns with how the rad looks would be dismissed after riding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the one that seems to be fake

Thats the one that seems to be fake

After seeing the fake (esp. cafe) versions, I thought maybe I had mis-spoken since they looked decent. Amazing how just a few small details can make or break a design.

After seeing the fake (esp. cafe) versions, I thought maybe I had mis-spoken since they looked decent. Amazing how just a few small details can make or break a design.

but if you never saw the artist conceptions of the ones that may not make production, how are you with the one that did?

I like styling excercises , it shows they are trying. But it can be a big tease.

I like the Z900RS styling. Retro look with a modern suspension. I look forward to Kawasaki making a 250-300cc version of it at a sober price for commuting. Versys 300 is too expensive and too thirsty.

CB500x is your ride then....people getting 70 mpg + and a lot of fun. It's actually a 477 cc and wildly successful.

Back
Top Bottom