All Weather vs Snow Tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

All Weather vs Snow Tires

black_CG2

I always vote for using snow tires. However, there is a new player in the market. It is All weather tires. Apparently, provides you with grip in snow and also good handling in summer. I am thinking this is marketing gimmick.

Anyone use these? Feedback?

PS. These are all weather NOT all season.

I don't see how the all-weather tires can be used in the heat of summer (ambient-temps, road-surface temps, tire heating from friction/flex/speed), becoming hardened to some extent over time, thereby reducing the flexibility at low temps, reducing winter traction... My vote: gimmick.

After so many years, people realized that all season tires are not the same as snow tires.

Tire manufacturers had to think of a brand new name - All-weather tires. That should kick sales up for the next 10 years.

That aside, perhaps the all weather tires have a compound a bit softer than the usual summer tires, and treads that are able to throw the snow off so that it doesn't become a rolling snowball?

Last edited:
I'm a convert. I run Yokohama Avid Ascend tires on my car. I'm on my second set. They work great in all conditions. I drive up to Collingwood during snowstorms without issues and they handle great in the summer. They last as long as any other tire.

I had some all weather tires once on a recommendation from a dealer.

They lasted less than eight months. I no longer go to that dealer.

Due to Canadian Tire sucking *** and not being able to tell if tires are the same or not, I have 1 all weather tire on my car. I only use it in the summer. Wear is similar to the all-seasons. I think fundamentally the one I have is just an all-season with sipes to look wintry.

Personally I think all-weather is a marketing game. For a person that never wears out tires and avoids driving in the worst weather, they may be good enough to get away with a single set of rubber. I switch rubber on both daily-driver vehicles as they both get lots of distance and go out without regard to weather. I'm normally buying a set of tires approximately every two years for each vehicle, so I might as well have a set of snows and a set for the summer.

I'll stick with the softer/grippier winter compound tires for cold weather and the durable/harder summer compound tires. An all season tire sounds like too much of a compromise.

All weather tires biggest downfall in the past has been excessive wear. Most of the big players haven’t ventured into this part of the business. Toyo seem to be pushing their Celsius all weather brand this year. For the amount of driving I do I run winters 12 months a year, if it’s warm then more than likely I’m on the bike and the 4 wheels are parked.

Meh, i have 2 sets of tires. One for Mid april to November. One from November to mid april.

Gives me another excuse to get away from the family and wrench and drink beer.

So no i won't switch to the next iteration of "you don't have to change your tires next season"

I'm a convert. I run Yokohama Avid Ascend tires on my car. I'm on my second set. They work great in all conditions. I drive up to Collingwood during snowstorms without issues and they handle great in the summer. They last as long as any other tire.

I am on my second set of Ascends as well but I would never consider them for the winter. The only reason I am on my second set is that the first set only lasted 50000 km and my tire guy wasn't pleased so offered me another set for half the price as a test. I am at approx. 40000 km on these and are below half tread again and suck in the rain. They are rated as All Season, not All Weather. They will be coming off very soon.

For them to be effective they need to have reasonably deep thread. If they are close to worn out before winter they have to be replaced, when they could have easily done another summer or two. But considering the traffic in the GTA is bumper to bumper at the first snowflake even all seasons suffice.

Last edited:
Winter tires have significantly more sipes which makes them squishy in warm temps and bare asphalt. It’s not just a pliable compound when the temps drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nahhh
I like to change the wheels over
safer in winter
keep the nice rims out of the salt
and summer tires last longer

I mean... You're supposed to rotate your tires anyway for even wear....

I mean... You're supposed to rotate your tires anyway for even wear....

My tires are directional, so I have to flip them front to back on each side.

Here even proper snow tires (Michelin Latitude X-Ice) can be useless in certain conditions on my street, although I only got stuck once last year, but so did half the street.
Fortunately, one of the neighbors has a 4x4 lifted truck with a chain, to drag us home.

I use to run winters ever year. As I also used to bop up to Collingwood for skiing most week-ends. With the winters being so mild the past few years it hardly has seemed worth it. We haven't had any decent snow fall until January or mid January. Whereas is use to be late November. Anyhow I always (use) to run with winters, there is no substitute, and fly past those idiots crawling in the curb lane who can't seem to clean the snow off their car. I always purchased Hakkapeliitta, they are a directional tire.

I think all weather is everything but a true snow tire. I use snows in winter, it may only be 4-5 days a season, but I REALLY want to be home for dinner, not sitting on a 5% grade burning a transmission.

All tires are a matter of compromise between efficiency, grip, longevity, noise, performance, etc....so I personally don't think there's any magical formula that will work for both the super hot weather we are having, and the super cold weather that we have less and less of the last few years. I think it's a gimmick as any tire that grips well in the summer will tear away quickly, and then there's less rubber left for the winter anyway. A winter tire will grip great in the summer anyway because it's a considerably softer compound than a typical all season. However, that grip comes at the expense of short lasting rubber.

I've run winters for many years and have always been able to make it through whatever the weather brings. Personally I'd stick with dedicated winter/all seasons.

Love my snows tire . Saves my summer rims . Once you get snow tires you will not go back .

BTW like with everything buy quality .

I just found out this year that the little Honda logos on the good rims pop out and fit into the steel rims.

Hopefully, that'll stop some rust from forming on the axles.

Back
Top Bottom