Warm feet ...it's that time of year | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Warm feet ...it's that time of year

And yes they are corded, but it's the typical coax cables which cause no issues unplugging or plugging. Just get off the bike and go. I feel no cords in my pant legs.

You may be correct and I might do that yet if the insoles don't work out but I did not see the cables that are needed to come up to the controller at your waist
Their heated gloves work well.

You may be correct and I might do that yet if the insoles don't work out but I did not see the cables that are needed to come up to the controller at your waist
Their heated gloves work well.
The set up I use requires a long y cable that comes up each pant leg to the waist. Then I use a remote dual controller by Warmnsafe. The socks get plugged into the jacket (inot the little yellow plug) and the jacket (red plug) gets plugged into the bike. This setup allows separate control of the heat to the jacket and separate control to the socks. I mount the dual controller onto the back of the brake fluid reservoir.

My advice, don't get a single controller, because the in time you will find a use for needing another.
http://www.warmnsafe.com/dual-remote-control-heat-troller/

Here's the long y splitter cable if this is what you were looking for:
http://www.warmnsafe.com/long-splitter-cable-for-gloves-socks/

I've been using heated insoles (plug in variety) and they are good to below freezing. Never felt like i would need a complete sock.

@MacDoc…. With the long rides you do you might want to consider the Thermacell foot warmers with the replaceable batteries instead of the ones you linked to so you have a spare set of batteries ready to go.

Per the Thermacell website, they now have 3 models. The ones you were looking at and the replaceable battery ones last “up to” 5 hours on medium heat. They say the heavy duty ones last “up to” 8.5 hours on low heat so not a fair comparison but they charge in 2 hours (twice as fast as the other two models). The heavy duty model also is Bluetooth so you don’t need to carry the remote control.

Note that the website says they do not get as hot as “disposables” but are not designed to …they are to provide warmth and not get hot and cause sweating. It also says that they fit best in boots with removable insoles (as they are fairly thick). I own the replaceable battery model. I measured mine and they are about ½ inch thick so about a ¼ inch thicker than the liner my riding boots came with. And they need air space in your boot for warm airflow to circulate and so that your foot isn’t pressed to the top of the cold leather of the boot. This may mean a thinner sock is needed. I use mine for hunting and ice fishing not riding (MC has been winterized) but just tried them in my Icon Patrol riding boots. With the liner replaced by the Thermacells it is a pretty snug fit. If I was going to ride in the colder weather with the Thermacell liners I’d probably want a boot a ½ size or more larger. I couldn't find the thickness of the ones you were looking at (non replaceable battery) but would think they are about the same since they last about as long.

I bought the Thermacell heated insoles for $99 at 1 of those safety shoe stores (can't recall which now) but they're sold in a lot of places. You only need to put them on low otherwise you'll sweat. I've had them for 2 years now and still working. Recommend them.

https://heat.thermacell.com/heated-insoles/original-heated-insoles

Thanks - always good to have actual users report. I can always return as I am leaning to the heated socks in the long term. I have enough room in my Milwaukee troopers with the DarnTough socks I wear ....not sure on the Gaernes ...should be okay as they are a half size large.

I've been using heated insoles (plug in variety) and they are good to below freezing. Never felt like i would need a complete sock.

that's good info.

i'm not likely on any long rides this fall but I am not going to Australia this winter so for the first time in many years ( going in the dry season which is July Aug Sept = much nicer riding than the wet )will be around early spring and will be itching for longer jaunts to find the green in the US.

Always a fav trip to punch through the chilly bits near Buffalo and hit warmer weather a few hours south. I still have to complete the interrupted southern BRP run. New boots on the CBF this weekend as I found a deal on some Metzlers of the correct size....so nicely set for cooler roads.
See how it goes with the heated gloves ...should be good but my overgloves they fit under have no armour.

Cooler weather these next 10 days will be a good test bed for gear......I don't envy those that have to commute ...I like to pick my chills.

The set up I use requires a long y cable that comes up each pant leg to the waist. Then I use a remote dual controller by Warmnsafe. The socks get plugged into the jacket (inot the little yellow plug) and the jacket (red plug) gets plugged into the bike. This setup allows separate control of the heat to the jacket and separate control to the socks. I mount the dual controller onto the back of the brake fluid reservoir.

My advice, don't get a single controller, because the in time you will find a use for needing another.
http://www.warmnsafe.com/dual-remote-control-heat-troller/

Here's the long y splitter cable if this is what you were looking for:
http://www.warmnsafe.com/long-splitter-cable-for-gloves-socks/

Good advice, this is the exact setup I've been using for about 8 years and it works very well. Jacket and gloves on one circuit, socks on the second. Putting the socks on, threading the wires down pant legs etc... is a pain, but 15 minutes into your ride you'll be glad for doing it.

Make certain you have access to the controller because during your ride you'll need to fine tune settings based on changing temps, wind speed and the speed you are traveling. Settings for that 80 - 90 km/h sheltered back road are not the same as the slab ride at 120 km/h you did to get there. Controllers that are relatively inaccessible will be a pain.

One thing about heated gear is that you'll never hear anyone say it wasn't worth it or that they regret buying it. Only comment I've heard is people saying they believed layering was the thing to do, but they are so comfortable with heated gear that they regret not buying it years earlier.

What about heated pegs? Wonder if you could heat the boot enough to warm toes without damaging the rubber, plastic and glue. Maybe a bark buster-style cover? With proper clearance, of course.

Just slip on a pair of these over your riding boots. Only $10 at Amazon.

Show me a Daffy Duck version and I'm sold. Bugs was cool enough but I couldn't relate to the unflappable "What's Up Doc?". Daffy's "I may be a coward, but I'm a greeeedy coward!" was more believable. Certainly more applicable to modern society, I think. Same thing with Sylvester. Hard luck characters are the best.

Wind screening works - the Burgman was good protection but not practical on most bikes.

Yeah, my sub 70 kph commute requires no special gear. Work boots and jeans pretty much covers it. I still need the heated gloves/jacket though.

Back on topic, sweat is a concern - excess moisture will reduce the efficiency of whatever insulation is in the boot. Sometimes less insulation / more breathability ends up performing better overall.

Back
Top Bottom