Someone to port a head in the GTA | GTAMotorcycle.com

Someone to port a head in the GTA

Clem

Is there a good tuner in the GTA that is recommended that could port a head for me?

I've been rebuilding a GPZ750 - the one with the twin shocks - and managed to get a good set of Megacycle cams. They are their all around street/road performance cam but need some porting to get the best out of them.

Thanks in advance

Is there a good tuner in the GTA that is recommended that could port a head for me?

I've been rebuilding a GPZ750 - the one with the twin shocks - and managed to get a good set of Megacycle cams. They are their all around street/road performance cam but need some porting to get the best out of them.

Thanks in advance
Nice bike. I met a guy about a year ago that's got two of them sitting in a barn for over 25 years but won't part with them.If my memory serves me correctly, the GPZ 750 has a factory port and polish and flow better than the run of the mill kz750.One of the bike magazines did a road test on that bike and did a tear down of the motor. They accused Kawasaki of underhandedly prepping the test bike when they saw the ports on it.Turns out all the GPZ's got the port work done at the factory and the magazine later issued an apology to Kawasaki.Not sure what magazine it was.

are you going to rebuild any other engine parts when you have the head ported? Having the engine squish clearance reduced would likely be recommended along with the porting for best effect- If the engine is a good runner and you don't plan on using new pistons/rings etc - I would just install the cams w/o bothering to port the head. Those cams alone should provide a good boost in power.

Those cams are a sweet find - quick and easy install. I would check first with the cam manufacturer; to first be sure they are meant to be installed on an otherwise stock valve train. a true bolt on and go.

the benefits to just dropping in the cams:

no engine removal
no expensive new head gasket req'd
minimal work needed
$ saved on porting

if, she is a good runner to start....

EDIT- I cannot stress enough that you confirm with the manufacturer that these cams are meant to be used on an otherwise stock valve train. The wrong "hotter" cams may have clearance issues and destroy your motor. Nice bike.

Last edited:
Nice bike. I met a guy about a year ago that's got two of them sitting in a barn for over 25 years but won't part with them.If my memory serves me correctly, the GPZ 750 has a factory port and polish and flow better than the run of the mill kz750.One of the bike magazines did a road test on that bike and did a tear down of the motor. They accused Kawasaki of underhandedly prepping the test bike when they saw the ports on it.Turns out all the GPZ's got the port work done at the factory and the magazine later issued an apology to Kawasaki.Not sure what magazine it was.

I too remember this, but Im not sure what year(s) this was done. Carbs/size changed between years also I believe.

Last edited:
I too remember this, but Im not sure what year(s) this was done. Carbs/size changed between years also I believe.
That article was definitely on the 1982 GPZ750, the first year.I think all the GPZ750’s the following years also got a bit of port work although they also got different carbs and cams.Loved the first year, the mono shock version never did anything for me.

Back
Top Bottom