Focal Length | GTAMotorcycle.com

Focal Length

nobbie48

Site Supporter
The focal length of a camera changes the appearance of things. Portrait photos tend to look more flattering taken with a mild telephoto as it flattens the nose a bit. A wide angle makes a person's nose look bulbous (Fish face).

Telephotos work by compressing distance distorting stuff but wide angle does weird stuff too.

What are the effects of focal length on dash cams and GoPros clips?

I watch some of the Youtube videos and the rider / driver seems to have a lot of time / space to take corrective action but it doesn't happen. I get the feeling that the space and speed are being accentuated. Or maybe people are really just that dense.

Comments?

My car DVR ( cheap chines but full HD) makes it look like you have lots of room when you don't. The Contour seems to ad just a bit of room but not much.

Seems like you have a good handle on the distortion and difference of focal length. Most of the time the dash cameras are running a much wider lens to show a greater area of the drivers view and to compensate for the small sensor they use.

I'm going to go with a combo of wide angle distortion and dense with a dash of hindsight.

Looking at Youtube clips I've toyed with the playback speeds and it compensates to some extent for the distance distortion. However just because the dashcam is looking at the road it doesn't mean the driver is.

Back
Top Bottom