Setting the price for an as-is car | GTAMotorcycle.com

Setting the price for an as-is car

jc100

The internet hasn't been too much help here...maybe one of you auto experts has some advice.

i have a 2006 Nissan X trail with low Kms on the engine, 145k Kms, it has a hole in the subframe, one wheel well has a rust issue and my mechanic says it will shortly need a wheel bearing. Aside from that it's a daily driver and drives fine. Everything else is functional. My mechanic says it will definitely need the subframe at the end of winter most likely and that's a 6h labour job plus a used subframe (if one can be found), he doesn't think it can be welded as there isn't good metal around the hole for the weld. I've also got some winter tires on rims for this car too, some life left on the winters.

Im not looking to make a fortune off this but does anyone know what it's likely worth? Auto traders lowest priced vehicle is one at 350k Kms that needs a ball joint for $900 sold as-is.

Is $750 selling it short or is that Ok?

Lol. Ok, shortest thread ever. Sold it to the father of a friend 10 mins ago for $750. Got a deposit, deliver car in a few days.

So....what do I do now? Remove plates and get a UVIP?

If you have informed him multiple times, not much else you can do. He has been informed. It's sold AS IS. Deliver, take the cash and plates and go to MTO to tell them the car is sold and either return the plates for a refund on the sticker or keep for next car if it's soon.

chances are it will be okay
could go to Service Ontario with him to ensure it's changed
or at least make sure you have a signed copy of the bill of sale

I've sold several vehicles and never bothered to keep a copy
as soon as I had the cash I didn't care
but after reading that thread, I'm gonna have a copy on file
maybe ask for a copy of the buyers DL too

You'll be fine. On one side you're selling the vehicle as-is and are not a professional in the industry so really there wouldn't be a requirement to make any special disclosures on the current state of the vehicle so no liability there with the subframe etc.

The other issue posted in the above linked thread can be solved by keeping a copy of the bill of sale with a date of the sale and proof of payment. In a cash sale I would be confident on just making a note on the bill of sale that it is paid in full. If you question that the purchaser will transfer the ownership you can always go into the MTO say a week later and notify them that the vehicle has been sold.

There is no reason to have the buyer's DL. Do a bill of sale you both sign and have copies of and go to MTO to inform sold.

I handwrote a signed dated and witnessed note stating that a deposit had been paid for the car and that I'd agreed to a particular price. Copied it and gave the buyer one and I kept the other. I'll print up something a bit more formal when I hand the car over with the UVIP.

a wheel bearing for this car is about 500 installed, probably be around 2grand to cert the car legally for the road.

first and most colossal mistake every made. Selling a known faulty used vehicle to a "Friend"

If he was straight up about its condition, I have no problem with this. If he just did the "it's as-is I don't know what it needs" it could go wrong.

If he was straight up about its condition, I have no problem with this. If he just did the "it's as-is I don't know what it needs" it could go wrong.

I told him everything and I'll be giving him a copy of the last mechanic's report too. Also told his son in law it needs a subframe and can't be welded several times. Engine is in great condition though and aside from the subframe and the wheel bearing and some rust on the wheel well it runs fine.

Offered to take him out on a drive and he didn't want to. Said it was all fine. I think he fixes cars up at home.

I told him everything and I'll be giving him a copy of the last mechanic's report too. Also told his son in law it needs a subframe and can't be welded several times. Engine is in great condition though and aside from the subframe and the wheel bearing and some rust on the wheel well it runs fine.

Offered to take him out on a drive and he didn't want to. Said it was all fine. I think he fixes cars up at home.

Haha, soon we will see it pop up on kijiji for $4000 after he puts some lipstick on the pig.

Haha, soon we will see it pop up on kijiji for $4000 after he puts some lipstick on the pig.

that's about what they go for. i own one and have about 280 in it. runs great and very good in the winter as it's a 2wd, flick the switch and it's auto 4wd ,flick the switch again and it's 4 wheel lock

I'm fine with that. Estimated 6h labour to get the subframe in and that's if you can find one because the X trail wasn't sold in the US only Canada, so there's limited availability, so 1-1.5k. I also told them they might have a job getting a subframe too by the way. Then there's the wheelwell which is probably 1k to fix...wheel bearing $500. All power to the guy if he can get that thing looking good and make it roadworthy.

Back
Top Bottom