Do you wear full height boots for street riding? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you wear full height boots for street riding?

I have these when I'm walking around a lot, and a pair of Garne's for when I'm not.

5109.jpg

Been wearing my SMX-5 boots for 6 years now.

Wore them to school between classes and now wearing them in to the ride to work and changing to regular shoes once I arrive.

A chunk ripped off the top of the boot from one fall - would have been my toes.

Second fall while practicing low speed maneuvers, bike fell over to the side landing on my leg/ankle. Would have been walking with a wobble for a while if it crushed an unprotected leg.

On the very rare occasion of riding without boots (maybe once a year) and I'm wearing my runners because I left my boots somewhere (weird I know..), or if I'm doing a quick test run after making adjustments, it just feels weird. Too much grip on the pegs, and due to the typical fabric top of my shoes and relatively thin/soft soles, shifting simply feels uncomfortable.

There are just so many other variables that can cause someone to go down on the street, it simply isn't worth the risk to not wear the best protection you can afford even if it means a bit of discomfort. (Sand, any type of wet metal surface, painted lines, huge potholes, gravel spills, oil spills, etc).

That being said, everyone has the right to wear (or not wear) whatever they want.

Last edited:
No I wear these: https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNDIw/z/4K4AAOSwK-pZqf5s/$_35.JPG

Should I get full height boots? I do want to be safe. But also comfortable. Are full boots too hot?

No I wear these: https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNDIw/z/4K4AAOSwK-pZqf5s/$_35.JPG

Should I get full height boots? I do want to be safe. But also comfortable. Are full boots too hot?

I've never found boots to be "hot" or ever thought about it for that matter...

They're just not practical to walk around in.

It's basically a trade-off between safety and comfort. Kind of like how some people wear kevlar jeans (me) vs textile pants (also me) vs leather pants.

Something covering the ankle is usually seen as "good enough" for street riding. At higher speeds, there is a good chance that they'll fly off.

Exhibit A (Shoe goes flying into orbit):

[video]http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/embed/112940[/video]

Last edited:
My Gaerne look look like casual boots peeking out from under jeans ...they are comfortable as well and superb ankle and shin protection.
With knee armor under my jeans I'm fully covered from the top of my knee down as the armor meets the boots.
But still works under riding pants or something like 501 Tact pants.

For shorter boots I wear Milwaukee Troopers....

MB416-boots.jpg

Terrific grippy soles and with dual zippers and lace up ....you set the snugness once then one zipper in and out. I like the extra height I get as I'm only 30" inseam.
Pretty well thought out.

https://fortnine.ca/en/milwaukee-mb416-trooper-boots

Milwaukee MB416 Trooper Boots

The Mens Trooper by Milwaukee Motorcycle Clothing Company is a full lace-up with double zippers. Features leather Coramid panels and boot height is 9". Inside each pair, we offer Freedom Flex construction. The mid-sole of these unique boots is crafted to conform to the natural bend of the arch of your foot, allowing you to bend and move more freely. Also features a welted construction sole plus a removable washable insoles, offering the highest levels of durability and comfort a motorcycle boot can offer. Whether you're wearing your Milwaukee Boots to ride or to work, rest easy knowing that your footwear is built to last as long as you do.

Features

Full grain leather
Lace-up with double zippers
Water resistant
Boot height 9"
Welted constructed outsole and removeable washable insoles
Non skid acid and oil resistant outsole
Width: D, EE, EEE

Last edited:
Like Macdoc's boots above, I forgot I also occasionally wear a pair of Magnum tall boots - also with the side zippers. They are good compromise for local riding, but I wouldn't wear them on anything over 30 minutes. I have hiked 20km in them though.

Danp, the full length boots do not get hot. My hands, torso or even my head in my helmet feel much hotter than my feet ever do on a mid-summer day. I find that just wearing a thin pair of dress socks is really comfortable in the summer heat. Full height boots can be just as comfortable as some of the shorter length boots for extended walking - for example, the Alpinestars Web Gortex are comfortable to walk for hours in. The Daytona's are just as comfortable, but too pricey for me to waste those soles away for extended walking around.

For a good pair of Dianese or Daytona's, they will certainly cost more than the shorty's or more casual boots, but worth it if you can afford it.

Personally combine 2 pieces for my gear....pair of shorter height boots plus knee & shin armour. I actually have a pair of Supertech Rs, but they can't interface with the knee armour at all, so I don't use them much.

Alpinestars_SMX-2_Stiefel_schwarz_55.jpg

dainese_knee_ve1_n_zoom.jpg

My knee guards are not quite as long but also interface with the boots ...warmer in winter and full coverage. Much preferred over in pant blobs of armor that moves around too much

That's not full height boots...

these are

BALANCE%20OILED%20BROWN.jpg

and yes I wear them on the dualsport if I'm going off pavement. As far as protection goes ...generally the higher the better
I have all black versions that I use every day.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Personally combine 2 pieces for my gear....pair of shorter height boots plus knee & shin armour. I actually have a pair of Supertech Rs, but they can't interface with the knee armour at all, so I don't use them much.

Alpinestars_SMX-2_Stiefel_schwarz_55.jpg

dainese_knee_ve1_n_zoom.jpg

Your supertechs should work just fine with Armour. I’ve been wearing them for a long time with my suits which have knee/schin Armour so your statement is false. Be pretty silly if their top of the line race boot didn’t work with a race suit.

Well I'm talking like whether to just wear something like the SMX1 where they just cover the ankle or to wear something like the SMX 5 all around town. Like if I was going to a restaurant or mall, I would feel silly walking around in my motorcycle boots. If I was going for a long pleasure ride then of course it sounds right.

Thanks for the response.
I understand what you are saying. I too wonder if I look geeky in something that does not fit my style of clothes. However, I am at the point that I do not really care what others think of my style. In my mind I am trend setting. Not exactly wearing shorts and great protection boots. Weird, oh yes.
As many here have said,"Wear the best protection you can afford"
I taught all levels of First Aid/Trauma. I would take a wheel chair to demonstrate how it feels to be in a confined position. With the obvious question. Need I say more? I think not.
Certainly not going to preach. Common sense?
OP. Good question. Thanks.

That might be something I could wear thx . Looks like a good compromise ........
My Gaerne look look like casual boots peeking out from under jeans ...they are comfortable as well and superb ankle and shin protection.
With knee armor under my jeans I'm fully covered from the top of my knee down as the armor meets the boots.
But still works under riding pants or something like 501 Tact pants.

For shorter boots I wear Milwaukee Troopers....

MB416-boots.jpg

Terrific grippy soles and with dual zippers and lace up ....you set the snugness once then one zipper in and out. I like the extra height I get as I'm only 30" inseam.
Pretty well thought out.

https://fortnine.ca/en/milwaukee-mb416-trooper-boots

Thanks for the response.
I understand what you are saying. I too wonder if I look geeky in something that does not fit my style of clothes. However, I am at the point that I do not really care what others think of my style. In my mind I am trend setting. Not exactly wearing shorts and great protection boots. Weird, oh yes.
As many here have said,"Wear the best protection you can afford"
I taught all levels of First Aid/Trauma. I would take a wheel chair to demonstrate how it feels to be in a confined position. With the obvious question. Need I say more? I think not.
Certainly not going to preach. Common sense?
OP. Good question. Thanks.

Thank you for your response. That's exactly what I'm talking about. I was thinking full on track boots for my feet and if I walk around in them, people would just look at you. It just doesn't fit with the setting. But yes the milkauwakee boots posted by the other OP seems like a great compromise. Functional and looks casual although not sure if bulky or not.

Going to try these:
download_1__3.jpg

Forma Adventure. I'll have to see how good they are for walking in next year.
I can always bring a smaller boot to swap them out for walking.

Your supertechs should work just fine with Armour. I’ve been wearing them for a long time with my suits which have knee/schin Armour so your statement is false. Be pretty silly if their top of the line race boot didn’t work with a race suit.

I never thought icon would out do dainese at anything but their knee/ shin protectors are imo far superior to that of dainese, not trying to be confrontational just my opinion. In fact I was trying to quote somebody else but in the wise words of a late /great friend"sometimes it be's like that " :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom