Do you wear full height boots for street riding? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you wear full height boots for street riding?

My knee guards are not quite as long but also interface with the boots ...warmer in winter and full coverage. Much preferred over in pant blobs of armor that moves around too much

I don't always agree with your advice, but this for sure! Ditch the built in knee pads in your pants, people, and go with an over/around the knee solution.

Back to the topic at hand. When we talk about ankle protection, what do we really mean? Is leather or a fabric of some sort which merely covers the ankle suitable? Or do we mean something much more robust, something which offers lateral rigidity?

For what it's worth, I wear BMW Allrounds on my Thruxton, and Falco Avantours when aboard the Tiger. Always.

allround-boots-580x290.jpg

800px-black_1425117575.png

Last edited:
I never thought icon would out do dainese at anything but their knee/ shin protectors are imo far superior to that of dainese, not trying to be confrontational just my opinion. In fact I was trying to quote somebody else but in the wise words of a late /great friend"sometimes it be's like that " :)

They could be, the only time I wear extra leg/knee protection is in the dirt (soon to be full knee braces). On asphalt my suits have built in armour that cover your knee and down your shin which is why I know that you can wear supertech r’s with armour.

I wear two different types, i actually prefer the Formas for the street, the daytonas have much better ankle protection but less grip on the sole.

EvoSports_gtx.jpg

forma-adventure-low-boots.jpg

I also use the Formas now. Was looking for Daytonas initially but I was told they're next to impossible to walk in. Had Sidi Vertigos before that.

I also use the Formas now. Was looking for Daytonas initially but I was told they're next to impossible to walk in. Had Sidi Vertigos before that.

I would have no issue walking with my Daytona's, i have the evo sports so maybe there is a difference compared to the security evo which is a full on race boot.
For sure the Forma's are more movable which makes shifting so much easier. I have done some mild off roading, dirt and trikes with the forma and they have done alright. It's a great boot which i would buy again.

I would have no issue walking with my Daytona's, i have the evo sports so maybe there is a difference compared to the security evo which is a full on race boot.
For sure the Forma's are more movable which makes shifting so much easier. I have done some mild off roading, dirt and trikes with the forma and they have done alright. It's a great boot which i would buy again.
My only complaints are that the thick lugged sole is a bit over kill for city use and makes using them on my little 2 stroke race replica a little tricky because the toe box is also fairly high on top of that.

And obviously that internal brace of Daytonas would be more protective. They probably cost 3x as much though, too.

I got lucky a few years back crashing with regular all leather boots (Roots boots), my buddy wearing SMX-3's who also crashed at the same time messed up his foot/ankle (ok now)...I bought SMX-4's right after and just leave other shoes at work.

My only complaints are that the thick lugged sole is a bit over kill for city use and makes using them on my little 2 stroke race replica a little tricky because the toe box is also fairly high on top of that.

One thing I liked about the Gaerne Trials ....slim enough toe to shift ( KLR is really tight ) but excellent protection.

The Daytona Evo Sports are a very comfortable walking boot and took about 20 rides for them to be nicely broken in. I ride every day and so I walk in them everyday - zero complaints and an excellent boot for the street.

wow thats looking awesome I saw the same boots at leatherbaba leather boots shop,,

Your supertechs should work just fine with Armour. I’ve been wearing them for a long time with my suits which have knee/schin Armour so your statement is false. Be pretty silly if their top of the line race boot didn’t work with a race suit.

No doubt it will work with a race suit, but for me personally, they do not work with that specific pair of knee armour and what I wear on the street. Honestly if my shins were maybe 1-2" longer they'd be fine, but I have fairly short legs (29-30" inseam), so they don't work well together in my case. Essentially for me, the shin armour extends a few inches into the boot, meaning I can't ratchet it fully closed, and given the extra bulk at the top, it prevents me from pivoting my ankle fully up and down. I've tried on other pairs of knee armour, but none fit as well as the Dainese ones do, nor do they cover most of the shin. I've had thoughts before of buying another pair of the same knee guards and hacking off the lower few inches with a dremel, but I've never gotten around to it.

Overall I'm happy with my street setup though...can ride for hours without any issues, and can walk around off bike and everything feels fine as well, plus the lower boots do not flex at all, and they still cover the bone in my ankle.

Last edited:
No doubt it will work with a race suit, but for me personally, they do not work with that specific pair of knee armour and what I wear on the street. Honestly if my shins were maybe 1-2" longer they'd be fine, but I have fairly short legs (29-30" inseam), so they don't work well together in my case. Essentially for me, the shin armour extends a few inches into the boot, meaning I can't ratchet it fully closed, and given the extra bulk at the top, it prevents me from pivoting my ankle fully up and down. I've tried on other pairs of knee armour, but none fit as well as the Dainese ones do, nor do they cover most of the shin. I've had thoughts before of buying another pair of the same knee guards and hacking off the lower few inches with a dremel, but I've never gotten around to it.

Overall I'm happy with my street setup though...can ride for hours without any issues, and can walk around off bike and everything feels fine as well, plus the lower boots do not flex at all, and they still cover the bone in my ankle.

The armour is suppose to go into the boot. You do up the inner boot snugly, then put your armour/pants on and zip the outer boot up and close the ratchet.

If the boot and armour didn’t overlap that would create a very voulnerable spot in a high impact area. Not so good for a flagship race boot.

I got lucky a few years back crashing with regular all leather boots (Roots boots), my buddy wearing SMX-3's who also crashed at the same time messed up his foot/ankle (ok now)...I bought SMX-4's right after and just leave other shoes at work.

Ouch serious? Alot of the people rock the SMX 3s myself included....

Back
Top Bottom