Anybody else getting ticked off with Morneau? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody else getting ticked off with Morneau?

Clem

I am Diabetic.

Type 1 Diabetes normally starts in Kids around 10-14 years old and unlike Type 2 Diabetes is not related to lifestyle and cannot be controlled or reversed through diet, exercise and weight loss. It occurs when your immune system, attacks and destroys the insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas. Scientists believe type 1 Diabetes is caused by genes and environmental factors, such as viruses, that trigger the disease.

Being a Diabetic is not cheap. There are significant out of pocket costs in Canada - http://www.diabetes.ca/CDA/media/do...-pocket-costs-for-canadians-with-diabetes.pdf

There are considerable costs related to Drugs, Pumps, Glucose Monitors, etc. It's a disability that could potentially cost an average sufferer $15,000 annually. Up until recently Canadians were eligible for a $1500 grant to help cover that, provided they met specific income requirements.

Morneau is clawing that back - https://globalnews.ca/news/3818585/liberal-tax-plan-hurts-diabetics-critics-say/

Personally it will not impact me or have any negative impact as my benefits cover me, at least until I retire; but the real impact is to those who can least afford it.

In Newfoundland there is a huge epidemic. According to the governments own figures, there are 35 cases per 100,000 children. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...es-a-public-health-perspective/chapter-5.html

When the average income is $50k that's a huge burden for families, especially since the genetic nature of the disease means that the chances of 2 or more children in a household contracting it are extremely high. It becomes much worse in Native communities where Diabetic treatment is funded almost entirely by grants.

Morneau is now putting lives in danger. 57% of Canadians with diabetes already say they do not comply with their prescribed therapy because they cannot afford their medications, devices and supplies.

Help end this madness and tax grab. Write or phone your MP.

I don't want this to turn into a political pissing thread and have it deleted. All I'm asking for is support and 2 minutes to call or write your MP.

Thanks in Advance

He doesn't seem to get it. Tried to tax small business. The government has way over spent and is trying to get money from low and middle class while saying it's trying to tax the rich.

Good job everyone on putting liberals in the office. Wait till prices soar next year thanks to provincial liberals.

He's liberal. What you expect?

Sunny ways. *sarcasm*

Much easier to tax middle class .

I like the free needles at needle exchange programs for druggies . But diabetic have to buy theirs .

Much easier to tax middle class .

I like the free needles at needle exchange programs for druggies . But diabetic have to buy theirs .
They gotta be loyal to their voting demographic

I have sent a note of concern to my MP. However, my MP is a Conservative who naturally agrees with me. It is the Health Minister you need to lobby. Last I heard they were sort of backtracking. I'm afraid the others here have it right: you get what you vote for, and the Liberals have been making sneaky cutbacks. If they got rid of the CBC that would be $2billion annually we could put toward health care and the debt.

My MP is the honourable Indira Naidoo-Haris, I could send her a note, but she is central to everything I view wrong with the current liberal gov't.

I did write the Health minister, and Morneau. I'm sure both thier inboxes flood daily and my note will be read by a low level assistant that is really happy tomorrow is world pasta day and the heavily subsidized buffet at parliament hill will be awesome.

So, Clem,

"There are considerable costs related to Drugs, Pumps, Glucose Monitors, etc. It's a disability that could potentially cost an average sufferer $15,000 annually. Up until recently Canadians were eligible for a $1500 grant to help cover that, provided they met specific income requirements."

Not being diabetic I had no idea of the costs. I'm appalled that there isn't more coverage to keep those affected healthy productive members of society. Where do these airheads come from?

So, Clem,

"There are considerable costs related to Drugs, Pumps, Glucose Monitors, etc. It's a disability that could potentially cost an average sufferer $15,000 annually. Up until recently Canadians were eligible for a $1500 grant to help cover that, provided they met specific income requirements."

Not being diabetic I had no idea of the costs. I'm appalled that there isn't more coverage to keep those affected healthy productive members of society. Where do these airheads come from?

Private health care plans pick up much of the cost.

From the government side, it's another short-sighted approach to save a little now in exchange for a lot later. As much as diabetic care isn't cheap, how much do you think we will spend on foot amputations and care of blind people when people can't afford to appropriately monitor their blood sugar?

Somewhat like dental, I think yearly cleaning and checkups should be covered. Many studies have shown that dental health affects overall health. At least this would give people without insurance a fighting chance. As it is many just wait until their teeth are in terrible shape and get them pulled as they can't afford major restoration. I've never seen a great argument against this (other than they'd rather spend money on wind-turbines and other scandals they think are more likely to buy votes).

So, Clem,

For someone that is lucky enough to have a job with good benefits it goes a long way to covering those costs. The $15,000 figure was published Canadian Diabetes based on their research.

Just based on Genetic and Environmental factors it seems that the poorest areas of our country are most impacted, Newfoundland for example, where people are more likely to have part time or seasonal work without benefits.

There is a potential cure on the horizon though. Researchers have been using Stem Cells implants that mature inside the body into the islet cells that get destroyed in type 1 diabetes. If this works it would save so much money in general.

Last edited:
Was Morneau the one who took away income splitting? I'm trying to wrap my head around how that would work well for the super wealthy vs the middle class, since it was supposed to be, "helping the middle class".

There is a potential cure on the horizon though. Researchers have been using Stem Cells implants that mature inside the body into the islet cells that get destroyed in type 1 diabetes. If this works it would save so much money in general.

That seems to have been on the horizon for a very long time. I fear that something is up with it. It might be people not wanting to cure chronic diseases, and lessen their profit, but it might be something less sinister.

Was Morneau the one who took away income splitting? I'm trying to wrap my head around how that would work well for the super wealthy vs the middle class, since it was supposed to be, "helping the middle class".

That seems to have been on the horizon for a very long time. I fear that something is up with it. It might be people not wanting to cure chronic diseases, and lessen their profit, but it might be something less sinister.

Is it just my imagination but weren't there a bunch of cancer treatment improvements once aids started getting media attention and mass funding?

Is it just my imagination but weren't there a bunch of cancer treatment improvements once aids started getting media attention and mass funding?

There's been some pretty big breakthroughs in tech and treatments since then. Not all connected. It's still mostly extension of survival rates rather than outright cures though but there's more and more remission cases with certain specific cancers.

That's very callous. Of all the cheap ways to save a buck.

Its been a common theme over the years that the most needy are ignored.

I was reading an interesting article in Vice a few months ago that the Trudeau government had spent $3/4 million fighting a Human Rights Tribunal ruling that the government is discriminating against First Nations children by not giving them equitable health care. Apparently First Nations were trying to get a ruling since 1998, I guess Chretien was in power then

So what is the option, the country voted out guys that were trying to balance the budget on the backs of veterans now we have guys trying to balance the budget on the backs of diabetics????

There is one slight difference, while the previous guys did what they did these guys are at this point are just suggesting it, it has not been put in place. Actions will what counts for me.

In the end politicians are all just pigs at a trough, it is cute when people think one colour pig is any different than another. Cute like believing in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.

So what is the option, the country voted out guys that were trying to balance the budget on the backs of veterans now we have guys trying to balance the budget on the backs of diabetics????

Maybe you should speak to a Vet or someone actually serving in the military. Trudeau's election promise was that "no veteran would have to fight the government for the support and compensation they have earned".

I served with people that were wounded in Afghanistan, and now the Trudeau government is taking them back to court to claw back benefits for their injuries and wounds. The Veterans emergency fund has been gutted and is out of money. I would say that's pretty definitive action.

WW2 and Korean Vets have had their benefits for medication cut. My Father in Law is one. Some of these people are 90 years old. A nice way to end your life after putting yours on the line to stand up against Hitler the Nazis.

Our Military has been gutted. I'm performing maintenance on planes with Chewing Gum, Bailing Wire and Duct Tape. OK. Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but budgets have been stripped to the point where lives are now in danger,

Well, not all lives. Trudeau's plane is maintained by a private company in in Brampton, although we were good enough Chretien, Martin, Harper.

Thank goodness I have only 8 weeks to go. The last 18 months have been soul destroying. I enlisted in 1997 and enjoyed myself for the first 18 years. I got to travel the world and hopefully we did some good in Ethiopia, Haiti, Sudan, Darfur and Afghanistan.

Whats next for me? A job as a Military Contractor in the US starting January.

To the OP. Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a political rant. Wrote to an Phoned Neil Ellis who is the liberal MP in my area. Was told by an office worker that they couldn't comment but would have someone return my call. I'm waiting with baited breath for that ;)

Last edited:
Maybe you should speak to a Vet or someone actually serving in the military. Trudeau's election promise was that "no veteran would have to fight the government for the support and compensation they have earned".

I served with people that were wounded in Afghanistan, and now the Trudeau government is taking them back to court to claw back benefits for their injuries and wounds. The Veterans emergency fund has been gutted and is out of money. I would say that's pretty definitive action.

WW2 and Korean Vets have had their benefits for medication cut. My Father in Law is one. Some of these people are 90 years old. A nice way to end your life after putting yours on the line to stand up against Hitler the Nazis.

Our Military has been gutted. I'm performing maintenance on planes with Chewing Gum, Bailing Wire and Duct Tape. OK. Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but budgets have been stripped to the point where lives are now in danger,

Well, not all lives. Trudeau's plane is maintained by a private company in in Brampton, although we were good enough Chretien, Martin, Harper.

Thank goodness I have only 8 weeks to go. The last 18 months have been soul destroying. I enlisted in 1997 and enjoyed myself for the first 18 years. I got to travel the world and hopefully we did some good in Ethiopia, Haiti, Sudan, Darfur and Afghanistan.

Whats next for me? A job as a Military Contractor in the US starting January.

To the OP. Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a political rant. Wrote to an Phoned Neil Ellis who is the liberal MP in my area. Was told by an office worker that they couldn't comment but would have someone return my call. I'm waiting with baited breath for that ;)

I know plenty of veterans that retired during the Harper era that had to fight extremely hard to get their benefits (and some were never made right), all while he pulled a billion dollars out of veterans affairs for his fake election balanced budget.

To my point though, so we got rid of Haprer, now the new guys is as big an a---hole, and we will then vote him out and the next guy will be as big an a---hole. rinse and repeat, pigs at a trough, super cute that people think one colour pig is any different than another...

Back
Top Bottom