Loud pipes? Grow up! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud pipes? Grow up!

HarleyHare

When we were kids some of us would take an empty pack of cigarettes (they were everywhere then) and flatten and fasten them with clothes pins to our rear fame and align it with the spokes of the rear wheel and pretend to be riding loud motorcycles. Cool! Neat! What fun to pretend. But then we grew up and threw away childish things, at least some of us did.

In the summer sitting on the deck up north, frequently throughout the weekend, we will hear a very loud vehicle coming up the beach road and take bets to see if the approaching vehicle is a dump truck, a car missing its exhaust or someone on a bike craving for attention.

The reason at my annoyance and writing is that I was thinking of throwing on the panniers and ride down to Florida to my time share instead of driving. But I just found out many if not all time share resorts (remember these are privately held by the members so can set whatever rules they want) do not allow motorcycles! Why? Because owner/guests and their families want peace and quiet and they won't get that if they feel they are living in a compound frequented by Hells Angels wanna be's. I suspect this is also why many riders get a negative response from the uninformed masses - we all get tarred with the same brush.

When I complained to the resort that my bike is stock and quiet and that it is unfair to lump everyone into the same category, the receptionist said those are the rules, no motorcycles period. So as usual in situations like this, the few spoil it for everybody else. Nice going.

So just grow up and don't give me a defense that loud pipes save lives. It's like leaning on a car horn non-stop, you just p*ss-off everybody. Whose life is saved? Yours, when you scare half the drivers off the road? .......there I now only feel slightly better........but it's a real bummer about not being able to ride to my vacation.

giphy.gif

6ae2a7263358d32d4cfa50205b87a5f00452941b0770eacd82df82d8428e0fc3.jpg

Last edited:
News flash for you: Homeowners associations/resorts/etc ban all sorts of stupid things for perceived reasons, not always legitimate reasons.

We were once told that we couldn't bring our RV (a beautiful 35' fifth wheel/dually combination, not a hunt camp special lets just say) into a friends gated community in the USA to visit them because "RV's are not visuallly appealing and lower the class of the neighbourhood".

As for motorcycles, theres a good chance that for every loud pipes guy, theres a wheelie popping rev-bomb sportbike kid out there who is equally as responsible for these sorts of generalizations.

Personally I don't care how loud your bike is -- that's up to you. I have lightly baffled moto-gp's on my Busa, they are loud WOT but not offensive when running through a subdivision at 2500 RPM.

I'm not crazy when by neighbour, lets call him Guido (not his real name), feels it's necessary to clutch and clear his pipes every 100 meters in our subdivision. Or when one of the guys I ride with, lets call him Siros (not his real name), runs WOT up hills in too low a gear because he loves the sound of his 1800cc Vtwin making torque. They get a kick out of the sound, so I can live with it.

I don't buy the argument that loud pipes save lives. When I ride behind Guido and Siros, I hear them loud and clear -- so maybe they are safe from me rear ending them. Since I don't like hearing them all day long, they rarely ride ahead of me -- when they are behind or approaching me, I can't hear those pipes.

For those who's riding abilities necessitate an warning surround them, I think more chrome and lights would be more effective. Those I can see far away, I won't hear their pipes in time to save them.

Pretty much a preach to the choir situation.

FWIW I was out for a walk in the neighbourhood with the Mrs. and a Harley passed us. Stock pipes and low on the power curve his noise was drowned out by the guy mowing his lawn across the street.

The funny thing about condos is the attitude some people get because for them "Condo" seems more cool than "House".

Attitude: I pointed out to a property manager how they could eliminate a $100,000 capital expense and a $10,000 a year operating expense but the suggestion got canned because it meant that two women (B's) would have to walk past each other through the same lobby once in a while.

I have V & H pipes on my Dyna. They're loud. (When I want them to be). I love the sound and I am generally responsible citizen in my 50's. It's really my only vice, so too bad. I don't have them to show off, they are part of an overall 'performance improvement' package and they do the job.

My g/f lives in on a nice street & doesn't want to piss off her neighbours so I am instructed to ride quietly when I come to her house. No one's ever complained. But get it out on the highway and............

OP

Who says you cannot ride down to your destination, the only problem I see is you can't park it at your gated community, no big deal, rent out a storage unit nearby and park the bike there, when you want to go for a ride go to your bike and ride all you want....wash, rinse, repeat.....

-------

As for the issue nobbie48 pointed out on the 100,000 dollar expense, that would have been a good case for miss-management of corporation funds, and should have been brought up to the board and the condo residents, but I am sure they used some other reasoning as to why the money was spent.....

While we're at it can we also ban small children playing outdoors; all that screeching and yelling and incessantly calling "car!" really grates...

Buses are pretty noisy so they're out. So are aircraft; forget noise abatement procedures, ban 'em. Lawn mowers make an awful lot of racket so they're gone.

First world problems indeed: OP can't seem to catch a break, not at his cottage up north or his time share down south. Boo ****ing hoo.

When we were kids some of us would take an empty pack of cigarettes (they were everywhere then) and flatten and fasten them with clothes pins to our rear fame and align it with the spokes of the rear wheel and pretend to be riding loud motorcycles. Cool! Neat! What fun to pretend. But then we grew up and threw away childish things, at least some of us did.

In the summer sitting on the deck up north, frequently throughout the weekend, we will hear a very loud vehicle coming up the beach road and take bets to see if the approaching vehicle is a dump truck, a car missing its exhaust or someone on a bike craving for attention.

The reason at my annoyance and writing is that I was thinking of throwing on the panniers and ride down to Florida to my time share instead of driving. But I just found out many if not all time share resorts (remember these are privately held by the members so can set whatever rules they want) do not allow motorcycles! Why? Because owner/guests and their families want peace and quiet and they won't get that if they feel they are living in a compound frequented by Hells Angels wanna be's. I suspect this is also why many riders get a negative response from the uninformed masses - we all get tarred with the same brush.

When I complained to the resort that my bike is stock and quiet and that it is unfair to lump everyone into the same category, the receptionist said those are the rules, no motorcycles period. So as usual in situations like this, the few spoil it for everybody else. Nice going.

So just grow up and don't give me a defense that loud pipes save lives. It's like leaning on a car horn non-stop, you just p*ss-off everybody. Whose life is saved? Yours, when you scare half the drivers off the road? .......there I now only feel slightly better........but it's a real bummer about not being able to ride to my vacation.

LOL, GEEEEZEE man, such a sad Fing story. Wow, we HAVE become such a pussified society havent we? I guess you didnt realize theres a pile of bikes that are sold with loud pipes. Ducati, harley, etc..... Go tell these well established people who can afford these bikes to "grow up" lol

Get bent.

OP

Who says you cannot ride down to your destination, the only problem I see is you can't park it at your gated community, no big deal, rent out a storage unit nearby and park the bike there, when you want to go for a ride go to your bike and ride all you want....wash, rinse, repeat.....

-------

As for the issue nobbie48 pointed out on the 100,000 dollar expense, that would have been a good case for miss-management of corporation funds, and should have been brought up to the board and the condo residents, but I am sure they used some other reasoning as to why the money was spent.....

The manager follows the instructions of the owners via the board of directors. Whine enough and it goes through. If everything is in plain sight it isn't the manager's fault.

You haven't seen a pizzing contest until you've seen a board consisting of retired VIPs trying to outdo each other, trying to prove they've still got it.

While we're at it can we also ban small children playing outdoors; all that screeching and yelling and incessantly calling "car!" really grates...

Buses are pretty noisy so they're out. So are aircraft; forget noise abatement procedures, ban 'em. Lawn mowers make an awful lot of racket so they're gone.

First world problems indeed: OP can't seem to catch a break, not at his cottage up north or his time share down south. Boo ****ing hoo.

I work night shifts sometimes and I don't like unnecessary noise in the neighbourhood when I'm trying to sleep. However, people need to mow their lawn, kids need to play, truck drivers need to transport loads and my neighbour doesn't have a lot of money and her car's muffler is beat. I can't beef about that kind of noise. That's people doing what they need to do to live.

There's also people who treat the stop sign as the launch point for a drag strip, warm up cold motorcycle engines by revving them up to redline (?), play loud music and light firecrackers after 2am.

I think the OP is suggesting that someone old enough to have a licence should know the difference between noise that's a part of life and making noise that just pisses people off.

Hiked around Queenston yesterday and all I could hear was cruisers blasting up and down the parkway all day. ( and the occasional SS )

If I was a local resident, I’d probably find it annoying. If I could regulate the sound of traffic or type of traffic I’d see and hear in the neighbourhood, I probably would.

And I ride a HD with aftermarket slip ons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These stories just remind me of the X files episode with the pink plastic flamingos on the lawn.

I lived in a place in Europe once where there was a rule that you couldn't mow the lawn on a Sunday. I used a strimmer instead.

hmmmm, how can I start a thread to let the guys know I have 2 vacation spots...
loud pipes, yeah, I'll rant about loud pipes

News flash for you: Homeowners associations/resorts/etc ban all sorts of stupid things for perceived reasons, not always legitimate reasons.

We were once told that we couldn't bring our RV (a beautiful 35' fifth wheel/dually combination, not a hunt camp special lets just say) into a friends gated community in the USA to visit them because "RV's are not visuallly appealing and lower the class of the neighbourhood".

An HOA wouldn't let you park that as a *guest*? I can maybe sorta understand an HOA not permitting it to be permanently moored there (I doubt it would fit on anybody's property anyway), but they can stop a non-resident from driving through?! I don't understand why anybody puts up with HOAs, or likes them

Hiked around Queenston yesterday and all I could hear was cruisers blasting up and down the parkway all day. ( and the occasional SS )

If I was a local resident, I’d probably find it annoying.

They probably should have thought of that before buying a house next to a 400-series highway that's been there since 1963.

Any parent with a kid trying to nap will tell those loud pipe ********.... **** you.

That also includes the ******* with the black Honda Civic with a loud pipe that thinks he is driving a lambo..... you are embarrassing yourself buddy, slow down through neighborhoods.

Now this has been as useful as a GTAM argument.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom