Loud pipes? Grow up! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud pipes? Grow up!

I try to help the situation by removing my cat on my gsxr, putting on a 6 inch short muffler and running around at 14,000 rpm.
Forgot my ear plugs one night and thought iwas gonna go deaf hahah

Wouldn't even let us past the gate. Even at the insistence of the home owners who's place we were going to be parked in front of.

Heck, I've been turned away at gatehouse in some of the more exclusive communities in my work truck because they didn't want a big ugly tractor trailer cruising the neighborhood. The fact one of their homeowners was waiting for the delivery I had on my trailer was irrelevant apparently. I don't have time for that sort of BS so I just drive away and tell my dispatch to deal with the customer.

Homeowners associations and gated communities are borderline crazy.

This summer we got turned away on our scoots trying to visit the Port Abino histocal lighthouse - Google "Port Abino private road" to read the news coverage on this rediculousness. A home owner literally RAN out onto the road in front of us to stop us and threatened to call the police if we didn't "Leave immediately". I **** you not.

Was he waving a gun? Most of the residents there are Americans.

If you want to see the lighthouse you have to book a scheduled tour via bus and some association.

hmmmm, how can I start a thread to let the guys know I have 2 vacation spots...
loud pipes, yeah, I'll rant about loud pipes

Huh? Funny the meaning some people take away by looking so deep, they miss the obvious. It's a real world example on how something I have nothing to do with and is out of my control, affects me unfairly. That's it. But thanks for giving me the credit for cleverly working in my lifestyle, but you don't know me. I'm really not that smart!

I relate my life experience without inference; if I wanted to brag I have a lot more I could brag about, but you don't know me, so why should you care?

Last edited:
What a stupid pointless thread, cry me a river
that's the bulk of the forum.....

Well they say, 'opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one'. And here are two grumblers about the quality of this forum but then go on to read/post messages into the thousands ('000) count. Unbelievable! So sad.

Last edited:
Who's grumbling? Just pointing out the obvious...that what a discussion forum is. Lots of pointless content that isn't going to make a real difference in your life. It's entertainment. I've been around since almost the beginning of the forum and seen it's changes. I don't take it seriously enough to worry about it or it's "quality".

The Yappy dogs in my neighborhood barking at every hour of the day/night are way more annoying than any exhaust noise I have heard

Has any loud pipe supporter considered that the noise keeps them from hearing dangers, sirens, etc.

Was he waving a gun? Most of the residents there are Americans.

If you want to see the lighthouse you have to book a scheduled tour via bus and some association.

It's ridiculous that Canadians, in Canada, cannot visit visit a Canadian historic site because of an American owned "private" road.

I understand the whole private property thing and all, and that's effectively what it is, but they need to come up with some better compromise that allows people to visit the lighthouse at will without needing to schedule a bloody bus ride guided tour as part of the required permission to pass through their American First enclave.

Apparently you can walk if you REALLY want to, but it's several Kilometers each way, and I've heard that the residents still give you the fuzzy eyeball...and all of us in our riding gear would certainly have attracted attention.

The city talked about expropriating the property that the road lays on so that it would solve this once and for all. Next time there's a town council meeting about it I'm going to freakin' drive there and share my story (and I wouldn't be surprised the friends I was riding with that day would also LOVE to come) in support of exactly that.

I don't buy the argument that loud pipes save lives.

Next time you're on the road next to a big truck, remember these two pictures.

headlights.jpg

Yeah, it's car-based, and it's point is headlights, but I trust you see my point - at a quick glance you can get lost in the jumble, especially with only one headlight, and it's even worse in weather.

Being HEARD certainly helps me know you're there.

And most importantly, THIS photo:

StQwJUC.jpg

Every single one of those motorcycles is invisible in my 2 main mirrors.

So, would you rather be heard in that photo?

I'm not saying one needs obnoxious pipes to accomplish that either, but something that can be heard when you roll into the power a little bit very well (from the perspective of someone who HAS heard a motorcycle before seeing them) save your life some day.

Last edited:
Two points -
1) When I see the pirates riding around with their LOUD PIPES and their HogTunes cranked to 11 so they can hear over the racket I laugh at the absurdity.
2) I live about 1km from the DVP and hear the sport bike squids ramping at 14,000 rpm in the middle of the night and think to myself "where are the cops, this should be such an easy bust ?"
There is the law and there is enforcement - one is no good without the other.

wondering PP
if you're on the highway
and there's a bike in any of your blind spots

can you hear it sometimes?

and if you can't see it, but can hear it
does it cause you to drive differently?

being a rider yourself is gonna make a difference in what you do I'm [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]assuming[/FONT]

but as for other drivers, I wonder how many bother altering what they want to do
because they hear a loud rumbling?

and as for that private road
I read up on that, and it bothers me
not sure because it's a private waterfront enclave
or because it's populated by Americans
probably the latter
and they would likely love nothing better than a court challenge to expropriate
I bet they have a war chest of $ all ready for the battle

Last edited:
PP, I would think a loud horn, used if the truck starts to move into your lane because the driver doesn't see you in one of his many blind spots, would be far more effective than loud pipes. Also, any rider who is situationally aware, would not sit beside a truck if they can help it.

Next time you're on the road next to a big truck, remember these two pictures.

headlights.jpg

Yeah, it's car-based, and it's point is headlights, but I trust you see my point - at a quick glance you can get lost in the jumble, especially with only one headlight, and it's even worse in weather.

Being HEARD certainly helps me know you're there.

And most importantly, THIS photo:

StQwJUC.jpg

Every single one of those motorcycles is invisible in my 2 main mirrors.

So, would you rather be heard in that photo?

I'm not saying one needs obnoxious pipes to accomplish that either, but something that can be heard when you roll into the power a little bit very well (from the perspective of someone who HAS heard a motorcycle before seeing them) save your life some day.

So you think that loud pipes drown out the noise of a semi truck's engine? You might have a chance if their windows are down...i guess.

But in this day and age, when i'm in my car, with music blasting, no loud pipes is gonna ever be heard.

My ears are tuned to hear certain things. Before i had a motorcycle, i didn't hear them. They were just background noise. Now i know exactly what it sounds like.Same thing goes for the Subaru rumble and can identify it at 100% without seeing it. Most people won't, it's just noise to them as most people don't car about what your muffler sounds like.

So while there's an argument for 'loud pipes saves lives' and that 'people can hear you', on the road while you're distracted and thinking about something else that's on your mind, or like most people, on your phone, the loud pipe will be filtered into the "noise" bucket and won't be differentiated from the other noises around you. It's kinda the same symptom of when you buy a certain car, you end up seeing it everywhere, whereas before you didn't notice it.

How many times have you driven your car and wondered 'how you got home' as you were basically on autopilot mode during the drive. That's how most people commute daily. And in the autopilot mode, active listening skills aren't at their highest.

When you have people complaining about loud pipes, it's usually people OUTSIDE of their car, who are usually in a quiet environment (ie. at home, work, etc) or more 'prone' (ie. pedestrian on the street) to be affected by those noises and get disturbed by it. Therefore the biggest group of people that actually HEAR you are not the ones who would cause a lethal accident.

Slightly louder & Nicer sounding exhaust? I'm all for that. Obnoxiously loud is what i find unnecessary.

PP, I would think a loud horn, used if the truck starts to move into your lane because the driver doesn't see you in one of his many blind spots, would be far more effective than loud pipes. Also, any rider who is situationally aware, would not sit beside a truck if they can help it.

BINGO!! :hello1:

The racket a semi makes on the highway would probably drown out the motorcycle with loud pipes.. but more realistically the semi would be passing the loud pipe motorcycle(s) on the highway as they always cruise 10km below the speed limit in the passing lane, so I am sure the semi-driver would have seen them... and thats if the loud pipes guys do go on the highway, because on the highway, they can't rev the bikes for no reason like they do outside coffee shops....

;-p

The two of you jackwagons just made the assumption, that a truck driver can't hear a bike over his truck, right after a truck driver told you that he can. And one of you even quoted the ****ing post.

The two of you jackwagons just made the assumption, that a truck driver can't hear a bike over his truck, right after a truck driver told you that he can. And one of you even quoted the ****ing post.
As i mentioned in the post, not all drivers have their ears tuned to hear/pay attention to louder pipes. Some people don't pay attention to it in their cars, so in a semi, you hear it less.

I can believe that this trucker, who also rides, will hear it.
But to the average truck driver doing long distance hauls, that's always on the road, i doubt that he'll pay attention to every single loud pipe he hears on the road. It just becomes part of the white noise of the road. Not the special/singular sound that us enthusiasts hear.

jackwagon? arrrrrrh, matey, thats a new one..

I have also been told by a motorcycle instructor to always stay in the left tire track on the highway. Even "professionals" are full of **** and wrong

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Muffler testing tonight at Blackfin's, 2 AM sharp. Loudest bike wins a free "Decihell" T-shirt.

Back
Top Bottom