Loud pipes? Grow up! | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud pipes? Grow up!

When we were kids some of us would take an empty pack of cigarettes (they were everywhere then) and flatten and fasten them with clothes pins to our rear fame and align it with the spokes of the rear wheel and pretend to be riding loud motorcycles. Cool! Neat! What fun to pretend. But then we grew up and threw away childish things, at least some of us did.

In the summer sitting on the deck up north, frequently throughout the weekend, we will hear a very loud vehicle coming up the beach road and take bets to see if the approaching vehicle is a dump truck, a car missing its exhaust or someone on a bike craving for attention.

The reason at my annoyance and writing is that I was thinking of throwing on the panniers and ride down to Florida to my time share instead of driving. But I just found out many if not all time share resorts (remember these are privately held by the members so can set whatever rules they want) do not allow motorcycles! Why? Because owner/guests and their families want peace and quiet and they won't get that if they feel they are living in a compound frequented by Hells Angels wanna be's. I suspect this is also why many riders get a negative response from the uninformed masses - we all get tarred with the same brush.

When I complained to the resort that my bike is stock and quiet and that it is unfair to lump everyone into the same category, the receptionist said those are the rules, no motorcycles period. So as usual in situations like this, the few spoil it for everybody else. Nice going.

So just grow up and don't give me a defense that loud pipes save lives. It's like leaning on a car horn non-stop, you just p*ss-off everybody. Whose life is saved? Yours, when you scare half the drivers off the road? .......there I now only feel slightly better........but it's a real bummer about not being able to ride to my vacation.

I agree that bike riders with loud pipes who unnecessarily rev their bikes to garner attention are the cause of many people being anti-bike. The consolation is that most of them will suffer permanent hearing loss as they get older. Now that makes it all right in my book.

On my side of the GTA, the war museum Lancaster could have all 4 engines to the tits and make an emergency landing on the expressway and the talented transport driver wearing his phone headset with bollywood soundtrack kicking at 9 would still just change lanes into him. 10,000hp and straight pipes wont save you over here. #brampton...

True story

An OPP Golden Helmet Team member, I can't remember her name, was hit by some twit while she was on parade duty with her Harley.

Think about it. Loud pipes, flashing lights, a good looking babe with a gun and he didn't notice her. What chance do we mortals have?

Back
Top Bottom