Cheapest way to transport a motorcycle | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheapest way to transport a motorcycle

fuwafuwa

Hi Everyone,

I recently injured myself in the gym, and I think my riding season has ended early for this year.

My original plan was to ride the bike to my parents house or a winter storage space to put it away for the winter, but due to my condition I don't think I can ride the bike to the destination safely.

What would be the most economical way to transport my bike? I don't have any friends that has a M license so that won't be an option

It is really a short distance (5km) so I'm looking for way to cheap out a bit :p

Assuming you have access to a vehicle with a hitch, Uhaul trailer is great. Depending on the bike, some fit in the back of a van. If you don't have a van, buy a 2x12x8 from Home depot and rent their van for $20, use the board as a ramp.

Uhaul motorcycle trailer will cost you less than $20 and it a safe and easy way to load/unload.

Thank you guys, I own two compact cars and I don't think they will be able to tow the weight of the bike+trailer.

I did look into uHaul and they offer the larger trucks for a little bit more (around $29 for 6 hours), can I secure the bike into a 15' truck? If so what other items do I need to buy in order to secure the bike?

Compact cars can usually tow around 1000lbs but if you don't have a hitch then that's a no go for you. Go for a cargo van and your set, Home Depot has some if its a short jaunt and back within an hr. Just remember a ramp, lifting a bike into a truck is not fun...been there, done that.

What type of bike and from where to where?

A rider friend doesn't need an M if he/she stays off the 400 highways but if it's an insurance issue you need more qualified friends.

There are lots of very experienced riders here who may offer to help you out by just riding the bike the 5KM for you.

Yes, there's a risk associated with that of course, but again....choose the very experienced members to ask for help from. ;)

Where are you located? How much tread is on your tires? How much would like to have after?

Yes, there's a risk associated with that of course, but again....choose the very experienced members to ask for help from. ;)

The risk with a rider is probably lower than the risk of trying to get the bike up, transported and back down from a 15' truck. Youtube is full of hilarity of people trying to get bikes 3 feet off the ground.

if you can't ride 5km...loading into a truck may be out. Post up location and see if a member will ride it for you. Pay for lunch.

Yes the injury is pretty bad, I can't even get in a car, so even if someone offer to ride the bike for me I can't even drive you back.

Thanks everyone, I'll try to ask a friend to tow the trailer for me or rent a cargo van

If you're adamant on the vehicle rental, maybe look into Bristol car and truck rentals, they have the high roofed super cargo vans like the Dodge promaster, and I believe the bumper sits fairly low, making it possible to get the bike on board with a smaller ramp. Build yourself a ramp out of some 2x10's. My friend transports his custom Yamaha 400 using it, personally never have myself. Another option for you to consider anyway....

CAA. Just say bike won't start and you need it towed. Or, there's a motorcycle hauler service I've seen on this site.
Not cheapest , but you don't have to lift a finger.

Back
Top Bottom