Motorcycle Outdoor Storage Question | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Outdoor Storage Question

You are correct. The problem starts when the spouse / partner doesn't ride. They don't understand why you need 4 motorcycles, 5 scooters and "why are you are always surfing kijiji for more"

They dont get it,

but the hierarchy of things that are important in my life are

bikes=daughter>>>wife/other stuff

Someday i might have to sit down and explain this to her, i dont think it will go well

Last edited:
I have had 2 car garages....only ever got 2 cars in when brand new. After that shelving, etc goes in, it fits one car if you squeeze everything else to the side. Otherwise the cars get parked outside if the bikes take up the space.

Car goes in the garage for winter, with the bike behind it. I hate scraping snow off.

Who was it here, that buried his bike in the backyard?

Hello.

With the purchase of my first new bike, I'm currently ironing out the logistics of storage throughout the seasons (I live in Richmond Hill).

I live in a townhouse with a garage and a size-able "private" backyard.
Unfortunately due to the size of the drive-way and garage, there's only room in the inner corner of the garage to store the bike.
To take the bike out would mean driving two cars out, and driving them back in.
For winter storage, the bike can stay in the garage with no problem.

I found a storage shed/sprung from Home Depot that I can put in the backyard, has anyone had experience using these before?
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....ak-style-storage-shed-in-grey.1000781221.html

Or

www.amazon.ca/Speed-Way-MTS-GRY-Standard-Small-Shelter/dp/B0098ISYGC

My worry is, if the bike is left in the storage outside throughout Spring to Fall, how much would the GTA weather affect the bike? (Provided the storage shelter holds up)
Is it better to invest in one of these?
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.big-max-7-ft-x-7-ft-shed.1000762039.html

Let me know your personal experiences of storing your bike in your backyard!

Add me to the list of people that have had the fabric ones blow way. I don't know if it's a factor but do they flap away all night in wind?

My single car garage holds the car, the Goldwing and its spares, a canoe, welder, numerous tool boxes, 4 ladders, my gear and sometimes a partridge in a pear tree. If I have to I can also fit in a bicycle with a sidecar.

The wing is on a rolling stand that adds about 2 minutes to ride and return preparation / reset times but is great for checking tires. The Chinese fire drill of moving vehicles adds a bit more but if one develops a system it's only a couple of minutes.

It would get me down if I only did coffee runs but since I live well away from the roads I enjoy, the few minutes spent are worth it knowing the bike is safe and sound and can be worked on in comfort when needed.

I have a back yard with a stick built shed but putting the bike there (900 pounds over lawns and curbs) would be even more work.

I can see 5 or so minutes to get the bike out in your situation. If that is too much hassle for a bike ride yeah, you could have patience issues. I'm not sure about the patience of a fetus.

BTW If the townhouse is a condo make sure the shed doesn't break any rules or that there is an understanding with management.

You are correct. The problem starts when the spouse / partner doesn't ride. They don't understand why you need 4 motorcycles, 5 scooters and "why are you are always surfing kijiji for more"

Paid half the mortgage, got half the garage. Very simple. When I need him to move his **** to get bikes out I ask him to move his ****.

Easy peasy

I have had 2 car garages....only ever got 2 cars in when brand new. After that shelving, etc goes in, it fits one car if you squeeze everything else to the side. Otherwise the cars get parked outside if the bikes take up the space.

After 5years the garage still fits 2 bikes,,,,,lol

ZnuKljq.jpg

bruh you got carpet for your bike!

After 5years the garage still fits 2 bikes,,,,,lol

Ah hem, I see three bikes and part of a car there. You're spreading bro.

Horse mats work well if you can air them out enough to get rid of the smell.
I could fit two bikes if I move stuff, I think.
ISsPBNrh.jpg

Last edited:
Get a good quality and well fitted bike cover for the summer backyard parking. Better covers can be locked under your bike. It will be enough protection from the elements.

bruh you got carpet for your bike!

Both our bikes are parked on carpet...but my garage certainly doesn't look like that. Too much stuff...and when when it's organized it still takes up a metric crapton of space unfortunately.

At the cottage I have a 10' x 10' shed where the ST lives most of the riding season. Shed holds a bunch of other things as well. It's dry and relatively secure. Don't buy too small a shed as you'll probable regret it in the long run.

This. Buy the biggest shed you can afford that will reasonably fit in the space you have. I have a 10'x10' and you'd be surprised how quickly it filled up. I would have gotten a bigger shed but unfortunately I don't have a very large back yard and wanted to be able to use it for other things as well.

This. Buy the biggest shed you can afford that will reasonably fit in the space you have. I have a 10'x10' and you'd be surprised how quickly it filled up. I would have gotten a bigger shed but unfortunately I don't have a very large back yard and wanted to be able to use it for other things as well.

Over 100 sq ft, you quickly start bumping into by-law problems and/or building permits required as well.

I agree, install the largest possible shed that doesn't add to your problems.

Build a 2 story shed. Buddy built one where the footprint was inside the by-lays. The 2nd story though was bigger...think mushroom shape.

Build a 2 story shed. Buddy built one where the footprint was inside the by-lays. The 2nd story though was bigger...think mushroom shape.

Haha, I've thought about it. Some municipalities have blocked that one, but you can still build a damn big shed without a permit.

This shed was designed to be max size in (near) compliance with the local by-law. It is 10'x10.5'x12.33' on top of the footings. The loft is about 4' tall to store kids crap over the winter. Technically a loft isn't allowed, but the ladder is removable and the door is locked, so it is just an architectural space if it I ever had to chat with a MLE officer. I was amazed you were allowed to build this tall (max height is specified to the ridge in a conventional roof or the break in a mansard roof). Price got a little steep (~$5,000 in materials) and we may move soon, so it may never get built.

2vnqc8p.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2 sheds. Ones mine for bikes and bits. The other is for yard crap and then all the other bike bits. Know your neighbours and neighbourhood. Most of my neighbours have much bigger "sheds". Nobody will complain in my area. The older guy behind even told me to go big as you never have enough space.

Back
Top Bottom