a little too much tech? | GTAMotorcycle.com

a little too much tech?

stevie t

at what point do you stop being the rider and just become luggage?
Still a pretty cool example of what they can do....engineering wise and all that.

[video=youtube_share;VH60-R8MOKo]https://youtu.be/VH60-R8MOKo[/video]

Giant gyroscope where the engine is supposed to be? We all know riders mess up bikes stability, it would be interesting to see that bike a) at speed and b) with a rider that was trying to mess it up.

As a safety aid like ABS, sure. But I ride to control the machine. Otherwise, if it's just for transpo, I'd get a small scooter...or Smart car.

As a safety aid like ABS, sure. But I ride to control the machine. Otherwise, if it's just for transpo, I'd get a small scooter...or Smart car.
Scooters though are scooters. They have a stigma around them. They don't look cool and awesome.

And smart car well it's another bracket completely (17.8k +)

This would be the kind of middle ground for people who aren't fit for a bike, but want to know how it feels like and also prefer having the smaller vehicle

This would be the kind of middle ground for people who aren't fit for a bike, but want to know how it feels like and also prefer having the smaller vehicle

If it was able to ride autonomously it's also a cheap, small and agile platform for a fleet of driverless vehicles (think uber 2.0). Instead of walking around TO, you hop on a bike and it takes you where you want to go (disposable helmet liner and auto-inflate helmet to allow one size fits all?).

If it was able to ride autonomously it's also a cheap, small and agile platform for a fleet of driverless vehicles (think uber 2.0). Instead of walking around TO, you hop on a bike and it takes you where you want to go (disposable helmet liner and auto-inflate helmet to allow one size fits all?).

Impractical. Driverless Smart car or similar would fit the bill better.

Yeah scooters are scooters. Kinda my point, I want a bike to be a bike....not a robot...I want to control it.

Giant gyroscope where the engine is supposed to be? We all know riders mess up bikes stability, it would be interesting to see that bike a) at speed and b) with a rider that was trying to mess it up.
Doesn't need to be a big gyro at that speed, but at normal speed the gyro would have to be impossibly big. These guys have been trying but so far no success http://litmotors.com/c1/

For a half-width vehicle that balances itself, Toyota hit the nail on the head with the i-Road https://youtu.be/6CivQjlomEQ

Why is it impractical?

There are some definite obstacles like helmets, people falling off, rain etc. On the upside, if rules allowed lane splitting and/or bike lane usage at up to 30 km/h, compared to enclosed vehicles, a much smaller fleet would be required to service the city and it would likely be the fastest possible mode of transportation in the core (quick pickup, no finding parking, door to door, much less affected by traffic). If they were treated more like conventional vehicles, small cars make more sense.

I don't believe it is a gyroscope based system...something about the mass required etc., I think it is based on sensors and a sort of abs like steering control that adjust a billion times a second kind of thing.....it would be interesting to see it at speed.
On the up side though, it would be pretty cool to have your bike follow you around all day...

[video=youtube_share;3qGX3rn3s0I]https://youtu.be/3qGX3rn3s0I[/video]

People who "need" this shouldn't be on two wheels. This is why things like the Can Am Spyder exist:

1200px-Can-Am_Spyder_RSS_%2802%29.jpg

Look at it staying on its wheels all by itself, expending no energy in the process.

People who "need" this shouldn't be on two wheels. This is why things like the Can Am Spyder exist:

Look at it staying on its wheels all by itself, expending no energy in the process.

Even the MP3 seems like a more intelligent implementation of a bike that doesn't fall over. Has anyone driven one over streetcar tracks? How does it respond?

01piaggio-mp3400.jpg

I think this is just a techno bragging rights kinda thing....don't think it would be implemented within current market context...I did think the 'adjustable rake' thing was interesting....wonder if you could move between ujm and a more raked cruiser geometry based on the type of riding you wanted to do on that day...

Not the same handling at all, bigger footprint, and the price on those!? Starting at a whooping 20k

I know this tech is expensive most likely right now... but it's also in infancy stage

I don't believe it is a gyroscope based system...something about the mass required etc., I think it is based on sensors and a sort of abs like steering control that adjust a billion times a second kind of thing.....it would be interesting to see it at speed.
On the up side though, it would be pretty cool to have your bike follow you around all day...

[video=youtube_share;3qGX3rn3s0I]https://youtu.be/3qGX3rn3s0I[/video]
That makes a lot of sense, and it checks out too; no gyro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLZ6U71y700

You're missing the point. This is the way innovation happens. You try some weird new stuff, just because you can, and see what it can be made to do, how it can be combined with other tech, either new, existing, or sometimes obsolete, and maybe something useful comes of it maybe not. I'm guessing we'll see more of this in some form or another.

You're missing the point. This is the way innovation happens. You try some weird new stuff, just because you can, and see what it can be made to do, how it can be combined with other tech, either new, existing, or sometimes obsolete, and maybe something useful comes of it maybe not. I'm guessing we'll see more of this in some form or another.

Perhaps I'm just too much of an old (school) fart tired of seeing the relentless trend toward automation in cars and seeing the motorcycle, a last refuge from that creeping cancer, now being infected.

Back
Top Bottom