Harley-Davidson Profit Falls As Slide in Motorcycle Sales Continues | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Harley-Davidson Profit Falls As Slide in Motorcycle Sales Continues

LOL. I was stirring the pot a bit with that remark. You buy what suits you. I certainly wouldn't expect you to do otherwise. There are those who express endless frustration that HD isn't building them an H2 for a bargain price. It's never going to happen. There are already excellent SS bikes crowding the market. It's too small of a market with too many players and not enough profit. The money is in exactly what they're doing right now: big expensive touring motorcycles and cruisers.

You're absolutely correct, they OWN their niche in the market, and it's a big one. Contrary to what some want to believe HD is an entirely modern company in every way, manufacturing, marketing and management. They produce enough bikes to create a degree of scarcity to keep new & used prices high, and bolster the image of exclusivity.

Their present (perhaps ongoing) dip in sales might be temporary or it might be just part of the overall decline in MC sales. There's plenty of competition for our discretionary dollar, and as the costs of our needs (food, shelter etc.) goes up the competition intensifies.

And to add my voice to a common lament, if HD had made the XR1200 a modern, but close-to identical in appearance XLCR I would most likely have bought one.

Brand new hd dealership being built in Oakville on the south service rd, just down the street from Indian. Its apparently the guys that own porche oakville building it, in a new building.

Somebody should drive over there and let them know the end is near.

"Once you're more mature, you might be interested in spending serious money on a Harley Davidson."

And this is the attitude that repels me from HD ownership, though I had one for 6 months (just not the right bike for where/how I like to ride).

I'm 52 and have been riding since I was 15. Wrote my MC 365 on my 16th birthday and got my license 1.5 months later.

I'm as "mature" as I intend/expect to get and I can spend copious quantities of "serious" money on anything that I want. I just DON'T WANT (another) HD.

Nothing wrong with the bikes in general, they're certainly good looking, but just not suited for my preferred riding. That doesn't mean I'm missing something or "just don't get it".

I can assure you I get it; I just don't want it.

This ^^!

I don't like the cruiser riding position. I don't find it comfortable sitting on my tailbone without my legs able to help absorb a bump (and yes I have tried several cruisers), and I don't find it conducive to an active riding style where you use your whole body. Ground clearance and suspension travel are important! I've toured 2-up on a R1200RT and a Tiger Exprorer, and you don't need to give up comfort or speed and handling in the corners to tour.

Harley sells a brand image. I have no desire to buy into that image. I am not American, so waving the American flag does more to turn me off than to interest me. I'm in my mid 50s and I can assure you that I will never "mature" into a redneck, beer gut, pirate dressing, 1%er wannabe. And I think that as more and more younger people feel that way, Harley sales will continue to slow. They are caught between not offending their aging core followers and staying loyal to the brand they worked so hard to create, and trying to find something that interests other riders or potential riders who see beyond the hype. Not a good place to be.

Brand new hd dealership being built in Oakville on the south service rd, just down the street from Indian. Its apparently the guys that own porche oakville building it, in a new building.

Wasn't there a nice big fancy clothing shop on Lawrence east of the DVP that also happened to sell a few Harleys? Isn't it a Tesla dealership now?

They are looking to bring in new riders but riding HD is more a culture than ride. My wife and I walked into HD dealership in our area last July, guy asked us if we got there looking for washroom?!!!

I think this will be the new site for Pfatt in Richmond hill. The sales guy I met there said they would be moving to the west end as real estate in the area was too expensive close to Toronto.

Well as a new rider I purchased a 2012 HD Electra Glide. I have always wanted a cruiser and the one brand which stands out is Harley, and they are great looking bikes. They look like the ultimate cruiser, to my eyes. Sure I could have bought maybe 2 used Japanese bike's for what I paid. But why would I want a imitation. So far it has been great, good ride, great sound, presence etc no regrets. There is also something more to being a Harley rider as well.

I was in Spain recently, tones of motorcycles, scooters etc. There was definitely a HD presence there. Mostly 883's. You can always tell when one was in the area from the sound. I visited 2 of the dealers there. At one I bumped into a guy from England. He was cruising around lower France and Spain on his Electra Glide.

I am sure every industry go through Ups & Downs I am sure they will rebound. They are obviously doing something right.

I keep hearing HD mouthers "imitators" but what makes a japanese an imitator? reliability? Cheaper price? Less pirate crowd?

It does the same thing, has a v twin, comfy riding position, same torque, same sound

I keep hearing HD mouthers "imitators" but what makes a japanese an imitator? reliability? Cheaper price? Less pirate crowd?

It does the same thing, has a v twin, comfy riding position, same torque, same sound

Where the hell do you think they got the inspiration to make the design of those bikes from?

What at a ridiculous way of thinking, great example why people dislike the Harley image

Has nothing to do with image, just the facts. You can't seem to grasp it though.

care to take a minute and explain that?

To be completely honest I am still trying to put my finger on it. But my comment wasn't meant to be anything like superior to everyone else.

Harley is the imitator, copying Indian motorcycles, who have been building since 1901, before harley even existed.

Why dont you go get the real thing instead of your cheap imitation?

I would suggest the scout bobber

Harley is the imitator, copying Indian motorcycles, who have been building since 1901, before harley even existed.

I am not getting into a history debate of Indian vs HD, or how Indian went out of business. All this means you have proven my point that the Japanese bikes have copied American motorcycles. If you enjoy your Japanese sewing machine then great, all the power to you. Or step up and get yourself some American muscle. I think the new Indian models are great looking bikes. Oh and I am more a fan of the Indian Chieftain myself.:cool:

LOL. Real thing what? Todays Harleys, cruisers, customs etc. for the most part imitate what garage builders were making in the 40 years after WWII. Unfortunately, you're wrong about Indian. They were not the first V-twin motorcycle. You can read all about that here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-twin_engine

Some of the guys who hate on Harley almost sound neurotic. You don't like them, won't buy one, can't stand the people who ride them, view most of them as 1% wannabes and pirates but... You never miss a Harley thread, turning it into a multi-page "don't like Harleys" debate, almost like you're trying to convince yourselves more than everyone else. It's okay. No, really it is. Go ride what you like. Nobody's going to stop you. :D

thread is about declining HD sales
several of us were discussing what we think they need to do
to appeal to a new demographic as theirs is dying off

then the pirate crowd rides in, unable to understand what an abstract discussion is
and turns it into a bash thread

another one for the waste bin

thread is about declining HD sales
several of us were discussing what we think they need to do
to appeal to a new demographic as theirs is dying off

then the pirate crowd rides in, unable to understand what an abstract discussion is
and turns it into a bash thread

another one for the waste bin

If constructive criticism worked with the harley crowd, they'd be wearing full face helmets by now, but apparently a face full of dirt tastes like freedom and made in murica.

Atleast harley seems to be listening, they released the new fat bob, it looks sick, and is More performance oriented, of course by all accounts the harley pirates hate it(too jappy looking)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom