Insuring an unfit bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insuring an unfit bike

6mtsedan

Hi all,

Have had a dilemma the last year. Due to a head injury i have been unable to drive/ride/ be in a vehicle for over a year now. Sold my street bike but insurance is due up next year. Just realized i probably shouldnt have sold it :(

I have my track bike here with signed overship (can get uvip signed no problem). My question is is if i registered the bike as unfit, can i get fire and theft and would this count as not having a break in insurance until i am ready to pick up a new bike?

Other options....
1) Pick up a bike i want and just sit on it until i (hopefully get better)
2) Pick up a 50cc scooter for cheap and pay cheap insurance on that for the time being
3) go back to sq1 (will need to convince the wife to let me buy a bike in the future again)

Call your agent and ask for a rate on the track bike, giving them the VIN. I don't think they need a plate number because you can't get a plate until you have insurance.

What is the bike worth and is the premium worth the risk?

Call your agent and ask for a rate on the track bike, giving them the VIN. I don't think they need a plate number because you can't get a plate until you have insurance.

What is the bike worth and is the premium worth the risk?

The bike isnt worth much....its more so because i dont have a streetbike that i dont want my insurance history to have a break in any history

I'm not sure insuring for comp only will give you the insurance continuity you are hoping for.

If you are thinking about paying liability insurance for 1 year plus to keep cheaper rates upon your return, I would look through the math closely. I'm not sure you can get ahead in that program.

I'm not sure insuring for comp only will give you the insurance continuity you are hoping for.

If you are thinking about paying liability insurance for 1 year plus to keep cheaper rates upon your return, I would look through the math closely. I'm not sure you can get ahead in that program.

I'm not really interested in cheaper rates moreso i dont want to start back at square 1 as I have been riding continuously for the last 7 years...the question is can i insure the track bike to keep that record and have it unplated/unfit, get a 50cc scooter, or just grab a bike that i think will fit (I'm 6'4 so not a lot of bikes are comfortable)

The bike isnt worth much....its more so because i dont have a streetbike that i dont want my insurance history to have a break in any history

If you aren't a high risk / high premium rider and have a friend with a bike see if you can get listed on his policy. That would show continuity. It worked for my brother when he left the country for a couple of years although his was a car policy.

Your friend doesn't ever have to let you ride his bike.

If you can find comp only coverage, please let us know, because when I looked into it recently, every broker/insurance company I asked told me they don't do that anymore.

Go to a scrapyard like cycle salvage in Peterborough and buy the smallest CC/cheapest piece of junk you can find that still has a Vin and ownership. Insure that For just basic liability, and assuming you have a clean record it should only cost you a few hundred dollars a year and you've accomplished your mission of keeping insurance continuity.

This assumes it would be cheaper than insuring your track bike (SS/RR=$$$++?) which is also a totally viable solution – it doesn't have to be registered as fit to insure it.

Right idea, but the cheapest/smallest bike isn't necessarily the cheapest to insure. Get a quote before you actually buy ANYTHING.

Go to a scrapyard like cycle salvage in Peterborough and buy the smallest CC/cheapest piece of junk you can find that still has a Vin and ownership. Insure that For just basic liability, and assuming you have a clean record it should only cost you a few hundred dollars a year and you've accomplished your mission of keeping insurance continuity.

This assumes it would be cheaper than insuring your track bike (SS/RR=$$$++?) which is also a totally viable solution – it doesn't have to be registered as fit to insure it.

Back
Top Bottom