Electrical supplies | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electrical supplies

mxs

Site Supporter
Where do you shop for basic electrical supplies? The big box suck in per meter cable pricing and don't always have everything (breaker, plus they seem to be expensive 35$) ... calling sometimes the industrial guys, is like time travel to 1960 ... plus no website pricing and calling is like pulling teeth.

Right now I just need:

- 15ft of NM 8/2 or 8/3 cable
- double pole 40A breaker, push-on style Stab-Lock
- 14-50 NEMA outlet

Thanks

I haven't had much luck buying electrical supplies from suppliers like Torbram. If you start asking for breakers and boxes, they start asking for your electrical license (and will happily provide you with a name of one of their licensed customers).

Sometimes princess auto has parts, but it is not guaranteed. For pieces of wire that short, check the tails section at HD for 1/2 price cable.

EDIT:

Another thought since you need so little cable. Can you buy a pre-terminated cord that is long enough and wire it straight into the breaker? It may be cheaper although it could be slightly dodgy depending on how it is mounted.

Second thought, are you sure you want to do 40A? Tesla is requiring 50A, for the incremental cost (especially on such a short run), I would probably run 50A/6 ga.

Last edited:
I've got to buy some similar supplies for the EV charger I have to install and will be talking with a couple of electrician friends. I'll pass along what I learn from them.

I just hung up on Torbram waiting 5 minutes for answer ... why they just don't say ... "no too small for us" rather than proudly telling that they serve retail market too ... LOL

Anyway, yep, let me know what you find out ... if you buy 8/3 or 8/2 cable in spool and have spare 15-20', it might work out ...

Another thought since you need so little cable. Can you buy a pre-terminated cord that is long enough and wire it straight into the breaker? It may be cheaper although it could be slightly dodgy depending on how it is mounted.

I see what you mean, but I don't want "dodgy" in my walls ... LOL

@mxs let me check what I have for wire. Not sure what gauge I have.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I see what you mean, but I don't want "dodgy" in my walls ... LOL

I wouldn't want that solution in my walls either (it would be especially hard to hold the receptacle stable). If you were running the outlet across garage rafters or surface mounting it, I would be less concerned with this approach.

MXS, not sure where your located, I deal with Primary Electric supply in Milton. They have everything.
Just sound like you know what your doing and your fine. Really good guys.
Calling can be hard but over the counter service has always been great.

My hot tub wiring, spa pack and related fittings, (and the stuff you cant get at the box) was 50% less expensive than a home depot spa pack. Its the same brand.

Vaughan Electric.

My wife bought a lot of low voltage outdoor lighting there, also the panasonic fan for our basement bathroom. Sent her in for a 30A GFCI breaker and they gave her the trade discount, no other questions asked.

For the breaker, you need to specify your panel mfr, eg Siemens...

I bought all my stuff at HD when I was installing me L2 for the Volt last week. I was happy that my dad had some spare 40A cable at home which went into the garage. Works like a charm so far and is charging right now.

Try a smaller independent distributor and not first thing in the morning when they're busy with their regular customers. You seem to know what you want so I don't see a problem.

Where do you shop for basic electrical supplies? The big box suck in per meter cable pricing and don't always have everything (breaker, plus they seem to be expensive 35$) ... calling sometimes the industrial guys, is like time travel to 1960 ... plus no website pricing and calling is like pulling teeth.

Right now I just need:

- 15ft of NM 8/2 or 8/3 cable
- double pole 40A breaker, push-on style Stab-Lock
- 14-50 NEMA outlet

Thanks

15ft is around 5m. you're worried about big box pricing on 5m of cable? lolz.

15ft is around 5m. you're worried about big box pricing on 5m of cable? lolz.

This, your volume is so low it doesn't make sense to me to put much effort into a big box alternative--trade supplier (unless very close by and friendly to DIY). Time is money and you will waste more than you will save.

Rona/Lowes
Home Depot
Canadian Tire

Last edited:
This, your volume is so low it doesn't make sense to me to put much effort into a big box alternative--trade supplier (unless very close by and friendly to DIY). Time is money and you will waste more than you will save.

Rona/Lowes
Home Depot
Canadian Tire

On a lot of items the BB's aren't more expensive. Contractors go to trade distributors because of service. They aren't in line behind a dweeb trying to explain a thingamajig to someone doesn't know what a whatchamacallit does.

On a lot of items the BB's aren't more expensive. Contractors go to trade distributors because of service. They aren't in line behind a dweeb trying to explain a thingamajig to someone doesn't know what a whatchamacallit does.

Yep, I get it. I was just trying to get a clue where else than BB people shop for electrical supplies who reportedly deal with retail, non-contractor buyers. The issue also is that BB's don't carry everything .... the three items I listed they should, but other times they don't.

Vaughan Electric.

My wife bought a lot of low voltage outdoor lighting there, also the panasonic fan for our basement bathroom. Sent her in for a 30A GFCI breaker and they gave her the trade discount, no other questions asked.

For the breaker, you need to specify your panel mfr, eg Siemens...

Not too far from my work actually, I will give them a try.

Back
Top Bottom