For those that deal with Ebay. Dispute resolution question. | GTAMotorcycle.com

For those that deal with Ebay. Dispute resolution question.

DJM

Site Supporter
In a nutshell

I ordered a plastic part to be painted from a seller that's done it correctly before. Give correct paint code, it shows up from overseas totally wrong colour. Think Silver instead of Gray.

I send "question to seller" via Ebay, say it's the wrong colour and ask for replacement. I attach a picture.

Seller responds to contact them via email address so I do.

Seller states they will ship a replacement one out. (Taiwan) I reply to please lmk with a tracking number like the original (DHL)

I wait 14 days, (original took 3 days to process) so I file dispute with Ebay. Seller responds to remove dispute and contact them by email so they can proceed with replacement.

This is where I am today.

Thoughts on proceeding? I think I should just ask for a refund, but then, I really want the correctly painted part.

It largely depends on whether you want the part or need the part. Are there other sources?

I wouldn't remove dispute and go outside of ebay at this point. If it comes a cropper, you will be sol. Respond through ebay system with your resolution and indicate that you will clear dispute once you have a gray part in hand.

I had a similar situation where the seller sent the wrong colour for a backpack. eBay did nothing useful. Ended up having to figure out a compromise with the seller. he agreed to give me a good discount since it was the wrong item rather than sending it back.

eBay's whole 'money back guarantees' is not at all reliable. It worked for me once on an item that was $600+ and never arrived. But for me to win that, i had to spend more than 10 hours on the phone with eBay and Paypal over a period of 4 weeks and also had to provide them with over 15 emails between me and the seller outside of eBay, Despite me having more than enough proof that the seller was dic**ng around, it took them almost a month to agree to refund me. Their customer service is horrible. Shop Amazon whenever it's an option.

Your best bet is to deal with the seller but as others mentioned, do not cancel the dispute.

Like he said. The seller wants you to drop the dispute so that they're off the hook. Continue to be very clear and concise in your communications as you may need to forward your messages to eBay for a resolution

Sent from my X5max_PRO using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

OK, so I'm assuming then that they were trying to run out the clock for Ebay dispute by using email?

I responded through Ebay that I'll remove the dispute case when I receive the correct product. If they haven't sent it yet I'm guessing they never planned to. I'll see what the response is.

Do NOT communicate outside eBay - that's the first red flag that they're looking to just time-out the dispute resolution process as there's no paper trail for eBay personnel to read.

Secondly, assume that they are legitimately sending out the right part, but shipping from China is notoriously slow..but CYA - In the end, take note of the deadline on the dispute resolution/refund process, and advise the seller that they have until this deadline to get the replacement part in your hand or you will pull the trigger on the refund request. If you miss this deadline you are hosed and the dispute is basically dead.

Last edited:
Alright thanks, I have a better idea about how the process works.

Back
Top Bottom