Friday the 13th ride home from Dover | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Friday the 13th ride home from Dover

If you are watching your mirrors and see a bike gaining fast why hold them up? wave them threw if oncoming traffic is there.

A bike doing 130 in an 80 zone, assuming one is doing the speed limit @ 80, well, that's coming up behind you pretty fast...and sorry, but although I keep an eye on what's happening behind me in my mirrors, I don't spend so much time looking in my mirrors (as opposed to looking ahead) that one might even see the bike behind you before it's already blasting past.

back to the original post

please don't share my lane with a 30km/hr speed differential. the centre lane was open, should I be watching others behind me to "wave them through" ? Im looking where I go, and glance my mirrors.

Why would you be in the left lane if the slower lane is vacant? I see this all the time on the 401 from all kinds of vehicles.

Typically I’m travelling in the left lane at a faster rate than other traffic and there is other traffic in the right lane.

However, I may not be the fastest in the left lane. And to clarify, I will be going faster than the traffic to the right of me unless the vehicles ahead of me are not.

So I either move right when an opening is available and let the faster vehicle past me or......I’ll wave a motorcycle through in my lane when they are coming up fast and I can’t get over due to others in the slower lane going slower.

Not common practice and doesn’t happen all the time. Majority, I can move over. But when traffic is moderate and t would be dangerous to cut in front of someone in the right lane, I don’t mind letting someone get ahead of me and possibly take the radar hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And the alternative is ... Waving someone by when there is no oncoming traffic.

I tend to ride close to the middle track of a lane, if someone's coming up fast, car or bike, I tend to move to the right track, and adjust my speed to give them an opportunity to get by.

If they pass me on the inside at a high rate of speed, I take a description and phone it in.

It may be a waste of time for an officer to chat with them, but you never know, maybe they'll smarten up and treat others with respect.

Edit: I also say the magic phrase "forward radar sensor deployed!"

Lol what a hero you are, may God help you

Lol what a hero you are, may God help you

Likewise, I'm sure. Luring people to their deaths is not a kind act, I felt I had to speak out.

Edit: btw it sounds like you might be being sarcastic, but I don't understand why. Would you mind explaining?

Last edited:
When I commute regularly on my bike this happens to me probably at least once a week.

"Waving people past when there is no traffic" ...

Chances are, the idiot weaving through traffic going way above the speed of traffic, is not going to wait for either opposing traffic to clear (they're going to pass you in your lane), nor are they going to wait for you to wave them past. This is something the other rider made a decision to do (rightly or wrongly).

At least half the time when someone DOES wave me past, it's at a time and place that's completely inappropriate for overtaking. Happens at Deals Gap all the time. Someone waves me past on the entrance to a blind corner, or approaching the crest of a hill, and there isn't enough space to overtake in the same lane. Nope. I'll make my own decision.

Back
Top Bottom