SUV choices update | GTAMotorcycle.com

SUV choices update

jc100

The old thread seems to have gone but I thought I'd post an update..l

Out of the blue today I got an email from the VW dealer I've been chatting to. I've been very pleasant with them regarding thoughts on the car (2018 Tiguan) and have told them I need to send offers round to other dealers first then I would give them a chance to match the lowest. I also told him that we're still trying to decide between Honda and VW. He asked what kind of offers I'm seeing for Honda so I mentioned around dealer invoice+$300 (from the CRV forum on RFD). He said he could do the same for the Tiguan.

Just need to see if his dealer invoice price is the same as mine (from unhaggle). If so this is pretty tempting.

The more I see the Tiguan, the more I think it looks tiny (from the outside) compared to the Honda.
Is it just my perception?

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

pretty sure the Tiguan is larger, and has a optional 3rd row the Honda lacks?

Regardless, I stated this in the other thread, VW can go to hell with the crap they pulled with diesel gate. I wouldn't trust them, and their mexican made tiguan.

I also don't like how they cost cut on things you can't see like the iron block engine with alum heads which makes this SUV nose heavy but cheaper.

The Honda is simply a better engineered product and built better with an all aluminum engine.

Yes agreed. I did some more reading and the Tiguan is universally described in reviews as "underpowered" and not just for boy racer type stuff, for lane merging and overtaking. It wasn't too bad when I took it for a test drive, in fact I liked it but it definitely didn't feel sprightly. It's also 500lbs heavier than a CRV. I don't need a race car, my bike is for that kind of thing, but I don't want to be passing semis on a highway longer than I have to.

So this coming week I'll be sending out offers to Honda dealers in the area to see if I can't get someone motivated to sell a left over 2017 Touring model, of which there seems to be quite a few left. Ideally I'd like winter tires and rims in that deal and a couple of paint protection accessories.

As far as I can tell, the only downside to the Honda is a slow infotainment system but Android auto powered by my phone should bypass that.

Oh and just for interest sakes I'm going to let the VW people know what I'm intending on doing...just in case they feel like "giving" a Tiguan away. It's definitely not a terrible car, I just think the Honda has an edge in most areas.

Last edited:
The more I see the Tiguan, the more I think it looks tiny (from the outside) compared to the Honda.
Is it just my perception?

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

you might be looking at the 2017 and under Tiguan. The 2018 is bigger.

I really hate this process. Car buying should be way less painful than this. Histrionics from car dealers mortally wounded that my offer won't feed their familes.......I kid you not.

...and...as I was writing this I just got an offer of 2% over invoice for what I want. 2 emails total sent. Swings and roundabouts.

Back
Top Bottom