Ex-girlfriend wants a piece of $6 million Lotto 6/49 win | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ex-girlfriend wants a piece of $6 million Lotto 6/49 win

spitRR

This is gonna get ugly...

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/1...iend-wants-a-piece-of-6-million-lotto-649-win

The war over a $6-million lottery ticket sold in Ontario has torn apart a couple that should instead be sharing experiences they "could only dream of doing.” That’s the pained perspective of Denise Robertson, 46, who has gone to court in an attempt win what she believes is her share of the massive jackpot her longtime live-in boyfriend, Maurice Thibeault, won Sept. 20 – before moving out without telling her about it.

I agree with backmarkerducati. It should be pretty cut and dry. Having said that, the dude in the story does not strike me as the brightest bulb of the bunch (and also seems like a genuine piece of **** from what the article mentions). I predict the lawyers will have a large portion of that 6mil by the time this is all over.

I'd like to hear his side of the situation.

I thought lottery wins are not subject to be shared with common law partners/ spouses. At least I thought I read this, but I can't seem to find any info.
My wife gives me crap for buying lotto tickets....she also gives me crap for saying if "I" win the lotto and not "we".
You explain it to me.

--
After reading the full article, if she is telling the truth that they bought tix together, then he owes her half imo.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

You know what sucks though, if he had the means to separate, he probably would've done it. At that point it would've just been his.

But right now, its too much of a gray zone so im convinced she'll get half.

I wonder how a case where say, a wife is being abused by her hubby but doesn't have the money to leave with the kids, and wins lotto to run away...would it be treated the same?

Like i think that maybe she could get some of the earning, proportionate to the time they've been together (but compared to what i don't know). But living 2 years with someone to me wouldnt warrant get half of their earnings from a lotto ticket.

You know what sucks though, if he had the means to separate, he probably would've done it. At that point it would've just been his.

But right now, its too much of a gray zone so im convinced she'll get half.

I wonder how a case where say, a wife is being abused by her hubby but doesn't have the money to leave with the kids, and wins lotto to run away...would it be treated the same?

Like i think that maybe she could get some of the earning, proportionate to the time they've been together (but compared to what i don't know). But living 2 years with someone to me wouldnt warrant get half of their earnings from a lotto ticket.

It is basically half of what they accumulate (say make) during the common law relationship. So she or in your example above he, gets half. If he bought the ticket the day after he left he would be clear.

There was one, maybe a decade ago, where the guy won--parked the ticket in a deposit box--divorced ex (or maybe just separated)--came in to the lotto office on or near the last valid day. Guess who got half.

quit his job before collecting the prize money
is this Homer Simpson?

put her in a strong negotiating position
nothing for anyone until she settles

and as the guy has no dough
and needs legal help he can't afford
will have to take a contingency deal
likely around 30% of settlement

should stop being a doosh and just pay her

lawyers will eat through that dough while he goes broke

Last edited:
If it turns out they were just roomies, who couldn't afford to rent a space themselves . . .

If it turns out they were just roomies, who couldn't afford to rent a space themselves . . .

That is one I always question in the entire common law scenario. Of course if they filled joint taxes or something else it is clear cut. Otherwise one could say room-mate the other partner/GF/BF, which is it... I guess they can get a line-up of people to swear they were a couple in court, pictures, etc.

As a funny side note, back in college my buddy's GF had a male room-mate (there was no funny business, few people in the house), we had her convinced (and freaked out) that if they were room-mates for a year they were then common-law married because they had the same address....

That is one I always question in the entire common law scenario. Of course if they filled joint taxes or something else it is clear cut. Otherwise one could say room-mate the other partner/GF/BF, which is it... I guess they can get a line-up of people to swear they were a couple in court, pictures, etc. As a funny side note, back in college my buddy's GF had a male room-mate (there was no funny business, few people in the house), we had her convinced (and freaked out) that if they were room-mates for a year they were then common-law married because they had the same address....
Luckily her roomie didn't win the Lotto, or you might have had some splainin' to do.

This lottery winning Mensa member stated to his ex-boss that he and Denise were no longer together. I think it would be pretty tough for him to win the "just room mates" argument.

This lottery winning Mensa member stated to his ex-boss that he and Denise were no longer together. I think it would be pretty tough for him to win the "just room mates" argument.
I believe that that information was conveyed through Denise or her representatives. It's not inconceivable that they were paraphrasing in their best possible light.

Exact same thing happened in Woodstock like ten years ago. Except that guy did it way better and he still ended up giving up half to the ex.

When he found out he won he bailed common law wife for whatever reason and moved out and disappeared. Waited 23 months and 29 days or whatever the last day was to claim the jackpot, etc.

This dummy has no hope and rightly so

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

If they were together in any way, they were common-law and split the winnings 50/50. Only way they wouldn't be common law is if they paid for rent, etc. separately and had separate bedrooms.

wit that kinda of money e could almost make her disappear

This guy got way too excited. He needed to collect the winnings, keep it a secret with everything else the same for a good while if he expected to get away with this. Dude was setting up red flags all over the place lol.

wit that kinda of money e could almost make her disappear

whoa...dude, whoa...lol

This guy got way too excited. He needed to collect the winnings, keep it a secret with everything else the same for a good while if he expected to get away with this. Dude was setting up red flags all over the place lol.

thinking the same thing
double check that the ticket is indeed a winner
put it somewhere safe and keep your mouth shut
wait a few weeks
sit down with her
deliver the it's not you, it's me speech
pack up and move
keep your job
open a new bank account at an institution you're never dealt with before
open another overseas
wait a month or so
go to OLG office to collect winnings