Manufacturer recalls | GTAMotorcycle.com

Manufacturer recalls

LIGHTDUTY

Hi all, first post here. My question is there any specific time limits on safety recalls?

I just purchased a 2003 VFR 800 and it has an outstanding recall. I was talking with my local honda dealer and apparently the recall part has been discontinued.

Not too sure what I should do next...

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Hi all, first post here. My question is there any specific time limits on safety recalls?

I just purchased a 2003 VFR 800 and it has an outstanding recall. I was talking with my local honda dealer and apparently the recall part has been discontinued.

Not too sure what I should do next...

Contact Honda Canada head office. Also look up what the recall was so you understand what needs to be done. There's a list of recalls somewhere online.. might have to do some searching..

Call Honda Canada customer service, ask them what the next step is.

M/C, P/E & Marine Customer Relations
180 Honda Blvd
Markham, ON L6C 0H9
Toll Free: 1-888-9-HONDA-9 (1-888-946-6329)
Hours: 8:00 am to 7:30 pm Mon to Fri (EST)

To answer everyone's question I have done all the above. The recall is regarding a wiring harness, I have emailed Honda Canada to enquire about the issue and I just want to be as prepared as possible if I am told it is too old to do anything about. I can't find if there is a time limit on safety recalls on any gov't website anywhere. If hind doesn't have the parts anymore am I on the hook to repair or should they still have to handle on their end?

To answer everyone's question I have done all the above. The recall is regarding a wiring harness, I have emailed Honda Canada to enquire about the issue and I just want to be as prepared as possible if I am told it is too old to do anything about. I can't find if there is a time limit on safety recalls on any gov't website anywhere. If hind doesn't have the parts anymore am I on the hook to repair or should they still have to handle on their end?

That depends - there is no time limit on recalls that I am aware of BUT if its classified as a 'product update' then you're likely on your own.
For sure, you ran your VIN and its still there ?
One other thing - if it was imported from the U.S. then Honda Canada may consider there to be no obligation and to take it back across the border.
Wait for their reply.

That depends - there is no time limit on recalls that I am aware of BUT if its classified as a 'product update' then you're likely on your own.
For sure, you ran your VIN and its still there ?
One other thing - if it was imported from the U.S. then Honda Canada may consider there to be no obligation and to take it back across the border.
Wait for their reply.
Yes the recall still comes up on the Honda site, the bike is canadian. I will wait and see what they have to say. Hopefully all will work out.

Recall Description -

ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE FRONT FAIRING SUB-HARNESS (SECTION OF THE WIRING HARNESS) TRANSFERS THE ELECTRICAL GROUNDING LOAD OF THE HEADLIGHTS, FRONT TURN SIGNALS, INSTRUMENT PANEL, AND VARIOUS RELAYS TO THE MAIN WIRING HARNESS VIA AN 18-PIN CONNECTOR. UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, THE GROUND WIRE TERMINALS INSIDE THE CONNECTOR CAN OVERHEAT, RESULTING IN MELTING OF THE CONNECTOR AND A LOSS OF POWER TO VARIOUS CIRCUITS.
[h=2]Possible Effects[/h]AS A RESULT, A LOSS OF CRITICAL LIGHTING OR ENGINE POWER COULD OCCUR WITHOUT WARNING, WHICH COULD CAUSE A CRASH.
[h=2]Action[/h]DEALERS WILL INSTALL A RE-DESIGNED SUB-HARNESS. IF DAMAGE IS FOUND, THE MAIN WIRING HARNESS WILL ALSO BE REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE. AN INTERIM LETTER WAS MAILED TO OWNERS ON SEPTEMBER 26, 2007. OWNERS WERE RE-NOTIFIED ON NOVEMBER 10, 2007

Recall Description-

CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES EQUIPPED WITH COMBINED-BRAKE SYSTEMS HAVE A PROPORTIONING CONTROL VALVE (PCV) THAT MECHANICALLY PROPORTIONS BRAKE FORCE WHEN THE REAR BRAKE IS APPLIED. A SEAL IN SOME PCVS IS IMPROPERLY SHAPED, AND BRAKE FLUID LEAKAGE MAY OCCUR.
Possible Effects

IF THE MOTORCYCLE CONTINUES TO BE USED AFTER A LEAK OCCURS, THE REAR BRAKE WOULD EVENTUALLY BECOME INOPERATIVE. A LOSS OF REAR BRAKE FORCE COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Action

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE FORLEAKAGE. IF LEAKAGE IS CONFIRMED, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE PCV FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 31, 2005

if it can cause a crash, it needs to be addressed. Recalls are serious stuff, especially on a motorcycle.

I don't believe there is any specific law or regulation that forces a manufacturer to keep doing recalls and parts supplies do dry up as time goes on.

With that said Honda is pretty good about keeping parts available. I took a look and the updated part number for the sub front wire harness on your bike is 32108-MCW-A00 and it seems to be still available from some U.S. websites that sell OEM parts. Maybe the service advisor you spoke with made a mistake and looked up the old part number.

I'd call a Honda dealer parts department, give that part number and see if it still available and then go from there.

I don't believe there is any specific law or regulation that forces a manufacturer to keep doing recalls and parts supplies do dry up as time goes on.

With that said Honda is pretty good about keeping parts available. I took a look and the updated part number for the sub front wire harness on your bike is 32108-MCW-A00 and it seems to be still available from some U.S. websites that sell OEM parts. Maybe the service advisor you spoke with made a mistake and looked up the old part number.

I'd call a Honda dealer parts department, give that part number and see if it still available and then go from there.
Thanks very much for this!

haven't been here long
but this is probably the best thread I've seen
OP asked an intelligent question
members offer quality input and request more info
OP gets back to thread with updated info
more quality answers
and solutions provided
should be stickied as an example of how to do business here
just excellent

I would have thought if you could still walk in and buy/order the part, then that means it is available and they could do the recall. If it was a bike from the 70s or 80s I could understand...but a 2003 VFR?

Also another question -- Say someone has a bike like the OP that has a never done recall on the VIN. Will it pass safety/can it be legally sold for use on the road without somehow completing the recall?

Also another question -- Say someone has a bike like the OP that has a never done recall on the VIN. Will it pass safety/can it be legally sold for use on the road without somehow completing the recall?

Excellent question - I don't think one is dependent on the other BUT if the inspecting mechanic was diligent and the information was readily available then in good conscience it should be provided to the buyer/seller. I doubt too many inspection shops would check, but I may be wrong ?

Safety doesn't check on recall items. It doesn't check for wiring harness issues...except if it affects the lights coming on or the kill switch. Basically if it runs and stops and signals(lights + horn), etc. ...i.e. working(AT THE TIME), it passes.

Back
Top Bottom