Save those plastic bottles | GTAMotorcycle.com

Save those plastic bottles

So where do we donate bottles? Or do they have enough bottles and just need money?

Shannonville ought to have more "bottle bins" around the track. There's unfortunately no shortage of those trash bins though.

Shannonville ought to have more "bottle bins" around the track. There's unfortunately no shortage of those trash bins though.

They used to have blue barrels just for bottles for the CRSF but then people started dropping of garbage bags full of bottles. Things got out of hand and the staff at Shannonville are not involved with the CRSF and they had bottles everywhere. So the blue barrels are no more.

If you want to collect bottles the best time to drop them off is a RACE round weekend. We have started filling the bags after riders meets. Otherwise, please donate to the FB page.

So where do we donate bottles? Or do they have enough bottles and just need money?

Depending on where you are located there are a few people who collect them all year round. If you are near Belleville Mike Raniowski collects them at his Granite shop. I'm currently filling my shed near Ottawa. I don't know if there is anyone in the GTA willing to be a collection point.

The Canadian Rider Safety Fund is a non profit organization where 100% of all donations go back to the CRSF for bags. We have a 4 member board who are all volunteers. We have sent bags to Nova Scotia,Edmonton,St Eustache and Grand Bend. We are currently working with a small track in Quebec to help them get started. All the bags at Shannonville were donated and paid for by the CRSF and or donated. All the bottles were donated by riders.
The tracks are slowly buying into the program and we are getting more and more help. Saddly people don't get it. The bins we put around Shannonville and logo'd with the CRSF and NOT FOR GARBAGE,, seemed to be in the wrong language. So the track had to remove them as nobody wishes to pick through garbage,,nor should they have to.
Now we also have to sort the bottle donations as people throw food containers , which draw animals to the bags. Oil containers seep out and onto the track as well. So clean ,lids on bottles, no food scraps or oil containers allowed.
Thank you to all the riders at RACE that donate their time. Thanks to Mike Raniowski for storage and sorting help. But we need help. If you do a track day at Shannonville,,,those bags didn't just show up! The finances for them came from the racers and donations. The labour was CRSF and RACE members not SMP. The track is building it into some of their maintenance schedules but this is a new program they can not undertake alone, nor do they know how it works. So help us out and ,"pitch in" that bottle you just tossed could save you. All donations will get used directly for the bags.

What sized bottles are used...are 2L pop bottles any good? Anyone in the GTA collecting them?
Any size plastic pop bottles, windshield washer bottles, shampoo bottles, as long as they are empty and the lids are on it all works.

I don't know of anyone in the GTA that is collecting but if you bring them to Shannonville in May you'll get to watch some great racing and help out the racers at the same time.

I know when I did my Racer5 course they were collecting them at the time. Each one of those courses in the summer will generate a ton of bottles 3 days, lots of people, controlled collection environment. I hope this is still happening and if it isn't and that happened to be a fluke when I was there someone should be touching base with Fawaz again.

Safer tracks for everyone I'm all supportive of.

Never knew those giant bags were filled with empty bottles...
Guess I have a reason to start saving my empties now.

And they work!!

I slid in to one on turn 1 at Shannonville. No injuries, thanks to the bags. If i was about 10-15 feet further to the right, it would have been a much different outcome.

How much do the bags cost to make?

Geez my mom's apartment building could fill a couple of those bags every week.

Back
Top Bottom