Kijiji q | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kijiji q

jc100

Someone in the GTA is interested in something I'm selling in Kingston on Kijiji. My scam radar hasn't gone off yet but I'm naturally cautious. Is there a safe way to do the transaction? I know about the "PayPal....never received the order or goods defective" scam where the buyer contacts PayPal for a refund but is an electronic money transfer foolproof? I usually insist on cash with local transactions.

I don't deal indirect anymore. Once I had someone send me cash in the mail for an item and shipping cost, and I mailed it out. It's cash on pickup only now....not worth the hassle. If it was me, in your case they would need to show up with cash and take it away or have someone do it for them. I'm not shipping. But that's me. Lots of people do it differently.

Etransfer or cash for sure. Trading off at the time is always much better than take now IOU later.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

It's either cash, or cash.

In a real pinch, coins will do but try to stick with just cash.

I don't really want to have to ship the item either but there haven't been too many other nibbles. Just the usual flakes with "hey is it still available" then crickets.

Interac E-transfer is solid and can't be reversed, so it's safe for you. Just be sure it's legitimate - pay attention to the web addresses (URL) in the notification email you receive to make sure it's not a phishing thing.

If you're willing to ship to sell it (vs spending another month answering the usual window shoppers), I'd go for it without much concern.

The way I look at it is that if someone is willing to send a stranger money for something, I'm happy to ship it for them as long as they cover my cost.

I had read that EMT was irreversible but this link told a different story.

I can see totally see how a bank would try to screw us
http://www.ehmac.ca/info-centre/117378-interac-email-money-transfer-scam-funds-returned.html

It might be a case of your mileage may vary. Maybe some more consumer protection has been baked in since these days, assuming that linked story has any truth to it.

Having said that, if this were me, I'd just turn down the deal and only offer a face to face. Let them know it's for their own protection. I had a fellow fly from Winnipeg to buy a bicycle from me in Toronto. If they want it, they know what they have to do.

If you are serious about getting it sold take some effort on your part, e transfer is very safe, you could have them mail you a bank draft, you can box it up and courier it, get a shipping cost and add that in , if your a motivated seller.

just for curiosity sake , are we taking a couple hundred, few thousand dollars, bigger than a bread box? I can see not shipping a vintage guitar worth 5k, but a $200 play station, just get it done.

ETransfer does have a cap on the amount. I believe it's $2000 but, it may have changed.

Certified cheque can be forged.

Cash gets it done.

I've used eTransfer to purchase items in the hundreds of dollars. Sometimes there is a delay from the time it's sent to when the recipient receives the email. In one case, I cancelled and just withdrew the funds. Lost the fee charged for the eTransfer.

In terms of scams, if something feels hinky, I just don't do business with the prospective buyer.

E trans cap may have something to do with the particular banks involved, not really sure. I've been sent $3500. and have sent $2500. using TD.

Certified cheques can indeed be faked with a good printer, bank drafts are a bit harder I understand.

Nobody wants to get fleeced, but I think I usually get a good read on a guy in the first couple exchanges.

Also watch out for fake e-transfer links. They take you to a website that is very similar to your bank to steal your login information.

I had read that EMT was irreversible but this link told a different story.

I can see totally see how a bank would try to screw us
http://www.ehmac.ca/info-centre/117378-interac-email-money-transfer-scam-funds-returned.html

It might be a case of your mileage may vary. Maybe some more consumer protection has been baked in since these days, assuming that linked story has any truth to it.

Having said that, if this were me, I'd just turn down the deal and only offer a face to face. Let them know it's for their own protection. I had a fellow fly from Winnipeg to buy a bicycle from me in Toronto. If they want it, they know what they have to do.

Wow that sounds like a bunch of bull from TD. I hate TD. But every time I try to get away from them, they buy up the companies I switch to.

I've been screwed the opposite with etransfers before. As in I sent an etransfer and got crap product and then could not get a refund.

On the other hand, I recently sold my Sidi boots on Kijiji and a guy in the US actually wanted me to ship them down there. Everything went smoothly and he didn't rip me off. I was pleasantly surprised. Guess that guy liked them more than the guy that messaged me just to call me an ******* for trying to sell old boots.

Everything I buy I pay with e-transfer. If the person doesn't take it, then I move on. These days is the way to go and I am yet to hear about a scam on it. It is coming form the bank to your account and you get a confirmation that it was received in your acount by logging in and seen the money there.
Someone in the GTA is interested in something I'm selling in Kingston on Kijiji. My scam radar hasn't gone off yet but I'm naturally cautious. Is there a safe way to do the transaction? I know about the "PayPal....never received the order or goods defective" scam where the buyer contacts PayPal for a refund but is an electronic money transfer foolproof? I usually insist on cash with local transactions.

I have learned that if you aren't in a rush, there's always a buyer out there...eventually.

Everything I buy I pay with e-transfer. If the person doesn't take it, then I move on. These days is the way to go and I am yet to hear about a scam on it. It is coming form the bank to your account and you get a confirmation that it was received in your acount by logging in and seen the money there.

Thanks. Yep...I'll be patient. I put up a reasonable deal so I thought there'd be more interest. One of the lenses I'm selling is a Canon L lens that's $150 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen on Kijiji for instance and I've added incentives for people picking up multiple items.

Nobody uses PayPal anymore? Used to be my go-to but lately I've been getting the silent treatment when I mention it on a Kijiji inquiry.

Back
Top Bottom