Can I get a title for an old bike with just a bill of sale? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can I get a title for an old bike with just a bill of sale?

johnnnw

How does this all work when a seller of an old forgotten bike doesn't have a title?

Anyone have experience with this?

A ton of old bikes on kijiji are always no ownership, what do the buyers of these bikes do about this?

Just looking to get as much info on this situation as possible.

Last edited:
How does this all work when a seller of an old forgotten bike doesn't have a title?

Anyone have experience with this?

A ton of old bikes on kijiji are always no ownership, what do the buyers of these bikes do about this?

Just looking to get as much info on this situation as possible.

Have Service Ontario run the VIN - then at least you can try and track the last legal owner.

Run the VIN through the CPIC website to make sure it isn't flagged as stolen.

Then get the seller to take the VIN to Service Ontario and get a UVIP. Check to see who's name is on it - it SHOULD be the same person selling the bike. If not, then there's more to the story, so start to tread carefully. The person at the kiosk may (or may not, depends if they have time) be willing to give you hints on when the bike last showed active in their system - IE, a change of ownership/plate attachment/sticker/etc.

If everything checks out and there's no reason to think anything is fishy there is a sworn statement option that will let you get the ownership in your name, but I'm not overly familiar with this, nor are a lot of Service Ontario's based on what I've read online. It may also have changed at some point (again, conflicting info) so you want to do your homework BEFORE handing over any cash in that situation.

In the end, if it is in the sellers name but they just don't have an ownership (lost it), tell them you want a replacement - it's only $15 at ServiceOntario.

I did this a long time ago. I bought a 1973 Suzuki T350 from the estate of an older genetleman who had passed away. Maybe the process has changed. I took the vin to a police station. They checked to see the bike hadn't been stolen.
Then I had to trailer the bike to a Suzuki dealer ( McBrides!) where they visually verified that I was in possession of the bike and wrote a letter to that effect. I took both the police report and dealers letter to MTO and got an ownership in my name.

Step 1 - Get the VIN and order the UVIP. This will tell you the last Ontario registrant, if there are liens, and any branding. If the seller won't to this, you can order a UVIP online or get one at service Ontario yourself as long as you have the VIN.

If there is no UVIP available OR it comes back with liens or brands -- leave this alone unless you need it for parts only.

Step 2 - Make an attempt to contact the last known owner. If you're successful, ask them for a standard bill of sale - or have them fill in the UVIP bill of sale. Make sure the bill of sale notes that ownership has been lost.

If you cannot make contact with the last owner of record OR that owner is not willing to generate a bill of sale, note the time and date of your attempt and have the seller make up a bill of sale with VIN and the seller's name and address.

Step 3) Draw up an affidavit stating the following:
- you are purchasing this vehicle from the actual seller, include his name and address
- you have attempted to contact the last known owner to secure ownership and bill of sale without success (note time and date)
- print a clear picture of the bike and another of the VIN plate/sticker
- have the affidavit notarized by an Ontario notary at a chamber of commerce, public notary office, or civic office.

Take everything to a Service Ontario and they will transfer the ownership.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom