Who else hates electric bikes ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who else hates electric bikes ?

An article highlighting 2 instances from 10 years ago and an article from 2 years ago with a 3rd instance is hardly "common".

The first article points out loopholes and only says 1 or 2 confirmed instances in Toronto a month.

When I did a search on google I had a ton of hits... But I think we were commenting on the common perception or stereotype that this are used by DUI people. Just go down the Danforth and see them all lined up outside the bars. I bet its the same in other parts of the city and in Hamilton too.

I don't tend to see many ebike riders because my commute has changed.. and the areas I drive are not frequented by them. I suspect there are more and more of them around now days?

While I wouldn't go as far as Jesus and say "love thy e-bike neighbor", hating such pitiable people isn't necessary. It's not their fault the city can't craft a coherent transportation policy. Quibbling over renaming Centennial Park Stadium is more their speed. God Bless, Robert. May your glassware shine spotless for-ever.

see https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dai...-ontario-drunk-drivers-e-bikes-203142592.html

Here's some news articles on people on DUI charges getting charged on eBikes

http://www.saultstar.com/2012/11/10/laws-on-e-bikes-need-to-be-clear--millroy
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/5642682-e-bike-rider-facing-drunk-driving-charges/

Seems eBikes and DUI charged riders are very common. Maybe a stereotype, but you know, so stereotyped things come from when some is deemed to be "common"... ie. Sport Bikes being fast and reckless, Cruisers being slow , Adventure Bike guys in Hi Viz, Hipsters in Flannel on their Cafe Racers etc etc..

Interesting to note that the woman getting maximum bash in SSM killed a cop while DUI. I'm not against that. When you kill anyone DUI there should be no mercy.

The Hamilton rider seems to have gotten off light. No pedals therefore motorized vehicle. Why no $5,000 no insurance fine and all the other stuff you or I would get hit with if we decided to go for a romp on our M/Cs sans legalities?

The way I see it riding an E-bike while under DUI suspension is a reasonable charge and it appears to be criminal. It would be foolish to fight it with a paralegal or your Youtube law degree. Even if the rider gets off they will have a five figure tab from their lawyer. Since the charge is reasonable there would be no compensation from the police.

The one I have a problem with is the DUI using a mobility scooter. It has a motor but no pedals so technically a motor vehicle. If the person is disabled there could be a constitutional challenge if it hasn't already been dealt with.

I have a certain amount of empathy towards the disabled but if the person is disabled due to an at-fault DUI crash and they DUI a mobility scooter, ignoring the danger to others on the sidewalk some action is needed. I saw an old cow use her scooter like a battering ram to open a door as a fa(s)t food joint. A disabled person doesn't have the right to cripple others.

Sounds like you've personally spoken to a lot of eBike users and know their circumstances...

According to that legal loophole article, you're wrong on the inability to use them if you have a DUI. They're not considered limited speed motor vehicles if under 32km/h top sped and have pedals, which makes them a bicycle.

Who pays 3k for an eBike, anyway?
Oops, I guess your google machine must be broken, here use mine http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Can+you+ride+an+ebike+with+a+dui

While I wouldn't go as far as Jesus and say "love thy e-bike neighbor", hating such pitiable people isn't necessary. It's not their fault the city can't craft a coherent transportation policy. Quibbling over renaming Centennial Park Stadium is more their speed. God Bless, Robert. May your glassware shine spotless for-ever.

I dont hate e bikers, but thought I would start this thread to bash them.
Hell, you can get an awesome bicycle for that money and ride while getting exercise.

Clarifying, I could be interested in an electric motorcycle that ran 100 / 100 minimum. 100 Kph for 100 Km. Plates, licence, insurance etc.

I dont hate e bikers, but thought I would start this thread to bash them.

I cleaned my glasses with Windex but that still doesn't make sense. I know Etobian dialect, so that's not the issue. *shrugs* GTAM isn't a daily source of vitamins, so I shan't get wobbly over it.

Personally, I'm thinking 100/50. I'll ride no faster than 100 kph if my insurance is 50% off. I'll even wear hi-viz loafers and socks if they come free with the tracker app.

Oops, I guess your google machine must be broken, here use mine http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Can+you+ride+an+ebike+with+a+dui

Hilarious.

Kiwi posted an article that outlines that you CAN ride an eScooter with a DUI, as long as it meet requirements of an ebike.

But here says otherwise shttp://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/electric-bicycles-faq.shtml

By the sounds of it, it depends on if you're scooting or peddling.

The way I see it riding an E-bike while under DUI suspension is a reasonable charge and it appears to be criminal. It would be foolish to fight it with a paralegal or your Youtube law degree. Even if the rider gets off they will have a five figure tab from their lawyer. Since the charge is reasonable there would be no compensation from the police.
In that MTO link, it's a criminal offense if you're scooting but not chargeable under highway traffic act if it's considered an eBike. Peddles removed and it's no longer an eBike.

My commute is 40km one way and I would love a proper e-bike that I can use electricity on the way to work, and pedal on the way home so I don't get stupidly sweaty. However what I need costs about 3k or so which I can't justify right now. If I could find something reliable that would do the trick for less than 2 I'd be a very happy camper.

I like the one posted earlier and am interested in learning more about them. I've seen kits for regular bikes which I would consider. Basically I can get to work, bring it into the office, charge during the day, and come back home.

It's not a municipal problem it's a federal problem. They stipulated the performance requirements for e-bikes that essentially made them low speed motorcycles, as opposed to low energy bicycles. They modeled our rules after the US, like everything else, but if we had copied the EU rules (must pedal, low power available) e-bikes wouldn't be known as DUI specials anymore, they'd have some form of respectability.

Hilarious.

Kiwi posted an article that outlines that you CAN ride an eScooter with a DUI, as long as it meet requirements of an ebike.

But here says otherwise shttp://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/electric-bicycles-faq.shtml

By the sounds of it, it depends on if you're scooting or peddling.

In that MTO link, it's a criminal offense if you're scooting but not chargeable under highway traffic act if it's considered an eBike. Peddles removed and it's no longer an eBike.
HTA is cool with it, criminal code is not cool with it. Which is cool, because instead of a slap on the wrist ticket, they get arrested.

I actually think they have a place and given their speed limitations should definitely NOT require insurance. Usain Bolt can run at 44km/h, should his shoes require insurance?
All jokes aside, I firmly believe they are the vehicle of last resort for dui offenders, but the offenders need to get to work in the morning somehow. Better on an ebike than at home on social assistance. Can they damage your car if the potentially drunk rider hits it? Sure can, at 32 km/h, you're not just going to buff that out. Would a drunk on a bicycle do damage, you bet they will. Obviously not as much because the mass is much lower, but you're potentially not buffing that out either. Would I rather a drunk hit me doing 32 on an ebike than 60 in the car they're driving illegally and uninsured? Damn straight. Not to mention, on an ebike the drunk is much more likely to get injured than in a car. We'll refer to that as poetic justice.

Furthermore, a friend of mine had a stroke a little while back, and although his wasn't horrifically bad like some, he did end up with tunnel vision and lost all his peripheral vision. Thus, at the age of 55 he now has to depend on his wife to drive him everywhere as he was stripped of his licence (was a motorcycle rider too). I think he's a prime candidate for someone that should get an ebike. It's slow enough that he can spend more time turning his head to make up for his lost vision, but fast enough to get him around his small town conveniently.

Lastly, insurance....really? Everyone on this site is overpaying for insurance, and does complain about it and start threads asking where to get cheaper insurance. Then to turn around and try to force it on others is pretty f*****g hypocritical.

Lastly, insurance....really? Everyone on this site is overpaying for insurance, and does complain about it and start threads asking where to get cheaper insurance. Then to turn around and try to force it on others is pretty f*****g hypocritical.

I don't like high rates and they include damage from uninsured vehicles, E-bikes included. If E-bikes are so innocent insurance should be about the same as a six pack for the rider.

I've seen two up e-bikes on sidewalks with chubby riders. 500 - 600 pounds hitting a pedestrian could cause crippling injuries. Who pays???

The issue is when people include themselves in insured motor vehicle driving space, which is common, and do not keep to bicycle etiquette/rules.

There are too many grey areas with these things, whether they look like bicycles, scooters or knock-off sport bikes.

The rest of your post makes a good argument.

Clarifying, I could be interested in an electric motorcycle that ran 100 / 100 minimum. 100 Kph for 100 Km. Plates, licence, insurance etc.

Zero http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ca/ has real motorbikes that have electric motors. I saw them doing demos at a race weekend in Ohio. They looked crazy fun and everyone who got off them had mostly positive things to say. I couldn't do the test rides because of scheduling.

They cost as much as gas bikes (maybe a bit more) but you can't find them used.

They have this bike now, showing up in mississauga and brampton...its EMMO

Looks like a 250R/300R , Honda Grom etc.

Seem like they are Chinese knockoffs but electric scooters...

zone_black_1-121856_850x500.jpg

Knight-Matt%20Black-1000x667.jpg

Would love to take the top one and swap out 250/300cc front suspension and swing arm for 17"wheels/tires. Then run it on a large gokart track. Would be awesome fun!

They only come with 16" wheels and no goo tire choices.

I don't like high rates and they include damage from uninsured vehicles, E-bikes included. If E-bikes are so innocent insurance should be about the same as a six pack for the rider.

I've seen two up e-bikes on sidewalks with chubby riders. 500 - 600 pounds hitting a pedestrian could cause crippling injuries. Who pays???
I firmly believe in this case insurance should be optional, either you get sued, or you pay insurance so the insurance company pays. Leaving you with a choice. Why should all ebike riders have to pay insurance because someone's acting like a moron? I fully admit I don't know the legislation regarding ebikes, but I imagine they're not supposed to be on sidewalks (like adult bicycles), why aren't those rules enforced more strictly?

That must have been something funny to see though. If for nothing else, must have been good comic relief.

One would think the cost of these things would be reasonable by now. Ebikes are everywhere so they are obviously selling like hot cakes, thus the production costs should reflect the price. It would be great to get an electric mountain bike-like unit for a reasonable cost. A little something to bomb around on without pulling ninja out of the garage eh. I'm getting too old to peddle a bike up a hill now-a-days... Happy apexes.

Back
Top Bottom