Switching insurance companies mid-term | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Switching insurance companies mid-term

Probably because they're on the 250 for the first two or three years.

What he's getting at is that even a 250 has capabilities far beyond what a novice (under 2-3 years of consistent riding) can utilize. No shortage of stories of highly experienced riders on small CC sportbikes eating the lunch of inexperienced riders on supersports on the track. Yeah, they'll run away on the straights...but anyone can go fast on a motorcycle in a straight line - that doesn't demonstrate skill.

If you come back to the bike after a few years experience, you'll most likely find that it isn't quite the laggard that you'd come to expect; yet the bike hasn't changed at all.

OP, there are a number of bikes that, while not living up to your SS dreams, will scratch the itch that a 25HP 250 just won't and likely won't slaughter you on insurance. A CBR500R is one. A KTM RC390 is another. You might ask for a quote on a Ninja650 and an SV650.

While these "standard" bikes don't have 100HP or SS-ergonomics you're going to be more satisfied on any of these than a 250. You might even find insurance is reasonable on them; the CBR500R is, in other markets, recognized as a "learner approved" bike which means that insurers here might just give your a break on it.

If you haven't done so already, talk to your agent about bundling: Do you have homeowners/apartment insurance? A car? Ask for a quote if you bring all of that stuff over with the bike.

Agree with all the above if you just want to rid yourself of the 250 in the end, but still don't want to pay a mortgage payment in insurance costs every month.

By the way, if you sell the 250 it's not considered cancelling, don't have a bike, don't need insurance. Then when you buy another bike you're free to insure with any company. Just don't wait to long or it'll interfere with "continuous coverage".

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Look into naked bikes, Fz-07 for example, insurance friendly and has power. Ride something you enjoy regardless of skill level

Last edited:
By the way, if you sell the 250 it's not considered cancelling, don't have a bike, don't need insurance. Then when you buy another bike you're free to insure with any company. Just don't wait to long or it'll interfere with "continuous coverage".

curious,,, how do they (the insurance companies) define continuous insurance?

curious,,, how do they (the insurance companies) define continuous insurance?
Just emailed my guy, and for my situation, where I want to sell my 600 end of fall and buy a 1k for spring would be considered gap. So I'll be buying a second bike, and hope to sell the second I suppose.

That's bs, switch companies. My wife went an entire year without insurance with TD, no gap on renewal.

If the bike contains the following attributes from factory, then I'd be interested in looking into it regardless of its class (sport, naked, SS):

1. More than one cylinder
2. clip-on handlebars
3. Steering damper
4. ABS
5. Redline ABOVE 10K
6. dual-disk front brakes

any suggestions?

If the bike contains the following attributes from factory, then I'd be interested in looking into it regardless of its class (sport, naked, SS):

2. clip-on handlebars
3. Steering damper
4. ABS
5. Redline ABOVE 10K

any suggestions?

I kinda get what you are looking for but, at the same time you are essentially placing the specs of a 600 SS to find your alternative.

You can have many of those elements but, hard pressed to find them all.

The F07 for example has great power delivery and I believe the redline is right at 10k. Doesn't have a steering dampener but, doesn't need one if if you really feel the need, can add one.

You can even look at different handlebars to lower yourself.

But, my recommendation would be before dismissing some offering because they don't meet the criteria mentioned, to give some of "entry level" or "mid level" bikes a demo first.

Twin disc rotors look nice but, plenty can stop with one. Unless you plan to track it. In that case, I'd say get a track bike. Get your kicks like you want and don't have to worry about insurance expenses etc.

2. clip-on handlebars
3. Steering damper
4. ABS
5. Redline ABOVE 10K

any suggestions?
Seriously, check out an sv650. It's the closest thing to a ss you're going to get while still seeing reasonable insurance.

That's bs, switch companies. My wife went an entire year without insurance with TD, no gap on renewal.

Enh, they reduced my rate from 3800 down to 1100, I'll play with their rules for now.

Different insurance companies have different policies on what they consider gaps in insurance.

2. clip-on handlebars
3. Steering damper
4. ABS
5. Redline ABOVE 10K

any suggestions?

Ninja 300 checks a good number of those boxes:

1) Parallel twin
2) Basically (definitely not a "straight bar" if that matters)
3) Curious why this is a "must have". They typically come in handy when the front is very light or coming down from a wheelie. Planning this for the street? Regardless, you can get 'em in the aftermarket:

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/gpr-v4-steering-stabilizer-kawasaki-ninja-300r-13-17/

4) Easy to find a N300 with ABS.

5) I believe the N300 redline is ~13000RPM

6) Single disc on the N300.

I wouldn't be in such a rush to get a SS. Ride the 250R for a couple seasons, get your M, take it to the track, ride everywhere and anywhere you can, and gain experience. You'll have a better appreciation and frame of reference when you finally jumping onto a 600. The 250R is a great track bike. If you've never done a track day I would highly recommend it. If you're curious to explore the performance limits of that bike go to the track and I'm willing to bet that 250R will dish out way more than you're capable of handling.

Back
Top Bottom