Bike doesn't shift past 3rd gear, WDF!? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike doesn't shift past 3rd gear, WDF!?

KOSALKA

Just bought my 2014 ninja 300 few days ago, it doesn't shift passed 3rd gear.. I am so dumbfounded I bought this pos

I bought a ****ing lemon, called some shops and saying it is strange and would not be cheap to fix.. FML

Any help you guys can suggest would be great. Anyone know any good shops within the GTA?

P.S. I've ridden dirt bikes and understand how to shift, however on this bike I just cannot get it passed 3rd

Did you not test ride the bike before buying it?

yes i test drove it on the guys street and maybe got to third gear... im not ripping it in my own neighborhood(the guy lived real close to me)

yes i test drove it on the guys street and maybe got to third gear... im not ripping it in my own neighborhood(the guy lived real close to me)

You don't have to "rip it" to get into higher gears, just sayin'.

Anyway, as JF alludes to, eyeball the left side for evidence of a drop. If the bike's been down on the left side it can bend the shift shaft, force it toward the right side of the engine and damage the mechanism in behind the clutch.

You might try contacting the seller. Understanding it was likely sold as-is with no warranty, expressed or implied, it can't hurt to ask him if there's anything he'd like to tell you now that the money is in his pocket.

Crappy situation, but this is the primary reason I always tell new riders looking at used bikes to take a knowledgable person with them to check it over. Any experienced rider checking out a bike in this situation would have checked *all* the gears, even if it was while the bike was standing still.

Hopefully you can get the seller to own up, but it's doubtful they didn't realize that there was a problem.

... specially if it was sold as-is.

Ask the seller in a casual convo how to past the third gear and see what he says. As @Blackfin said, can't hurt to ask since he got the in his pocket.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Just bought my 2014 ninja 300 few days ago, it doesn't shift passed 3rd gear.. I am so dumbfounded I bought this pos

I bought a ****ing lemon, called some shops and saying it is strange and would not be cheap to fix.. FML

Any help you guys can suggest would be great. Anyone know any good shops within the GTA?

P.S. I've ridden dirt bikes and understand how to shift, however on this bike I just cannot get it passed 3rd

get someone else to take it for a quick ride and try it out before you start dumping money into it.
give a bit better of a general area so someone on here that is close can meet up and give it a go.

Have you tried giving "Frekeyguy" a call. Look him up on this site. Great guy.

OP, in the thread where you said you were going to look at this bike
you said you were going to take a mechanic with you to inspect

a few members in that thread gave you pointers for some things to check
one of them was to look for signs that it had been dumped

did you or your mechanic look at this?

can you see now looking at it, if there is damage to the left side of the bike?

Thought Ralph was closing down? But then, he's threatened that for 20 years if not more.

Send an PM to "frekeyguy" on this forum; he is quite familiar with those bikes.

The shift mechanism inside the transmission is accessible after removing the clutch on those.

Keep in mind that as with most Kawasaki bikes, this one has a "positive neutral finder" that blocks upshifts to 2nd gear unless the bike is moving faster than a certain minimum speed. It ONLY affects the upshift to 2nd gear; e.g. if you come to a stop in a higher gear you can still shift between the higher gears ... until such time as you select neutral or 1st, it will once again then block the upshft to 2nd.

Thought Ralph was closing down? But then, he's threatened that for 20 years if not more.

Ralph's still there - no one will give him what he wants for the business or building BUT best call ahead....

Back
Top Bottom