Bike doesn't shift past 3rd gear, WDF!? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike doesn't shift past 3rd gear, WDF!?

Have you checked that the shifter is not hitting the case or linkage

[video=youtube;3xCMaQ_oxBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xCMaQ_oxBY[/video]

Your bike can go in to 6th at 60km. It'll be very low revs but it'll do it.

If it's genuinely not able to go past 6th, it's not a lemon, it has been damaged internally. You'll have to take it to a repair shop to have it looked at.

OP, in the thread where you said you were going to look at this bike
you said you were going to take a mechanic with you to inspect

a few members in that thread gave you pointers for some things to check
one of them was to look for signs that it had been dumped

did you or your mechanic look at this?

can you see now looking at it, if there is damage to the left side of the bike?

If it was crashed to the point that the shifter change shaft was bent, I'm going to bet that the amount of damage to other parts of the bike would have been immediately noticeable. I've broken about half dozen foot rest brackets (shifter side) on the 250s (same as the 300 in that whole area of the bike) and have never bent the actual change shaft that goes in to the engine.

Were there new farings or any other new parts on the left side of the bike?

Last edited:
Are there any marks on the sprocket guard? Kickstand bracket? There’d have to be noticeable marks on the stator cover for sure.

Ralph's still there - no one will give him what he wants for the business or building BUT best call ahead....
Seriously?

Following a winter of business development & renovation, the new ownership team at T.O. Cycle has galvanized its commitment to service in the motorcycle industry and promises that 2016 will be an exciting year of growth.
So Ralph is still owner/part owner? I figured things would be looking up for that shop if he sold/left.

put it on the rear stand and shift it thru all the gears to make sure the linkage isn't binding. I highly doubt it's an internal problem.

Don't throw parts at the bike before diagnosing the problem first. It will require minor disassembly and you may need to remove the clutch basket ... which will require air tools to get the clutch hub nut off. You might be able to figure out what is going on with the indexing mechanism (behind the clutch basket) without actually taking the clutch basket off.

I brought it to my mechanic today to check it out, he works on cars and bikes.

I will keep the thread posted on what is the problem and how much it costs me to fix it.(cannot find a similar thread anywhere on the internet which shocks me really...)

I brought it to my mechanic today to check it out, he works on cars and bikes.

I will keep the thread posted on what is the problem and how much it costs me to fix it.(cannot find a similar thread anywhere on the internet which shocks me really...)

It's not a very common problem, in my experience the problem is usually pretty bad (like a broken shift fork) for it to happen. I have rebuilt 3 gearboxes in bikes and they are shockingly simple. A guided path shift mechanism with 3-4 forks, and two shafts of gears with dogs. No synchro's which is usually the issue with a worn car transmission.

Back
Top Bottom