Ganaraska | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ganaraska

I don't, I do track where I go in case I find a good trail and I want to go back there
You guys use GPS in Ganny?
I just get lost and try to find my way back before dark or run out of gas...way more fun

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

You guys use GPS in Ganny?
I just get lost and try to find my way back before dark or run out of gas...way more fun

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Could always use your phone with an offline gps app like Osmand in lieu of gps.

Could always use your phone with an offline gps app like Osmand in lieu of gps.
That is exactly what Maprika is, it has a better map for Ganny.
5e42047348a740843b9f52b47d8a3fab.jpg

Good question and one of my concerns, no it doesn't at all. However I have the phone screen off inside my backpack, i find any apps that you use that keep the screen on use a lot of battery
nice tracks :) . Does maprika chew a lot of battery life?

On my Android it uses about 15 percent battery for a 4 hour ride.

Last edited:
Good question and one of my concerns, no it doesn't at all. However I have the phone screen off inside my backpack, i find any apps that you use that keep the screen on use a lot of battery

great, I didn't realise it would work with the screen off. That's great. Do I have a USB socket wired up on my WR for auxillary power just incase.

Just downloaded it. Hopefully I'm tech savvy enough to make it work.

Load the map on Maprika and turn on GPS on the phone, the dot is where you are in the map. Simple and effective, it also works great for hiking/camping.

4a6b093bf6324912bf7cf623a38e968b.jpg

nice. Are any of the Simcoe Forest routes available? I couldn't find any

Don't think so ... but the Simcoe tracts are more compact, with exception of the Orr lake expansion, maybe.

If you're a SCORRA member and have online map access they have a mobile app on their map website that does overlays your location on their trail maps.

If you're a SCORRA member and have online map access they have a mobile app on their map website that does overlays your location on their trail maps.

ah yes, I forgot about that. thanks!

I am not too fond of those maps. I just don't think it works as well as the Maprika approach. But, yes it's better than nothing.

I am not too fond of those maps. I just don't think it works as well as the Maprika approach. But, yes it's better than nothing.

from a technology point of view, the Maprika ones are based on loading a "map file" and then overlaying it with know coordinates. It allows the app to work well off line and not connected to the internet . I believe the SCORRA ones are online based, and you need a connection to the website hosting them to utilize them. I can see why SCORRA does this, as they indicate what tracts are open/closed and are available to be accessed at any given time. If they just posted the .gpx files people could potentially be tresspassing on private property when certain land was not available to be accessed. Not a good thing when trying to appease land owners etc

Last edited:
Perhaps you have a point. From practicality standpoint, it's just frustrating to use for me. Or at least it was when I tried to use it a couple of times when not exactly sitting at home in front of my desktop and fast connection ...

Perhaps you have a point. From practicality standpoint, it's just frustrating to use for me. Or at least it was when I tried to use it a couple of times when not exactly sitting at home in front of my desktop and fast connection ...

Same here. I tried using it a couple times while at the tract and it never quite worked for me.

One day I went solo to a tract unknown to me ... so I pre-printed the trail map on a piece of paper and put into my riding pants pocket. I felt younger instantly, bringing the memories of the premium technology of our youth ... LOL

One day I went solo to a tract unknown to me ... so I pre-printed the trail map on a piece of paper and put into my riding pants pocket. I felt younger instantly, bringing the memories of the premium technology of our youth ... LOL
I used to just get lost and find my way out after. Lol

Now I go, get lost and push the home button on my gps.

Best trails i have found were while lost. It is kind of impossible to truly get lost at the Ganny.
I used to just get lost and find my way out after. Lol

Now I go, get lost and push the home button on my gps.

Back
Top Bottom