Ganaraska | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ganaraska

mxs

Site Supporter
Has anyone unloaded a bike at the Forest center parking lot? I called them and the the voice on the other end claimed that you cannot unload a bike at the Forest center location. Apparently, not even, unload it and walk it to the trail head ..... reason I ask is simple. I will have some passengers in the car who will hike etc. during a day, so this common point makes sense to all of us. Otherwise will have to go unload somewhere and they will have to move the car to Forest center and the same in the end .... kind of lame.

I have read that on the list of rules on the Map you get when you pay the monthly membership or on teh big wooden maps on the trails, can't remember exactly

So I assume P1 is my closes parking lot to center, sight?

In that case, is the Cold Springs Camp Rd. a decent unpaved road, or does one need SUV/truck clearance? I cant remember, it's been a while (hard to tell from Google) ... if it is like Boundary then it would be quite OK.

So I assume P1 is my closes parking lot to center, sight?

In that case, is the Cold Springs Camp Rd. a decent unpaved road, or does one need SUV/truck clearance? I cant remember, it's been a while (hard to tell from Google) ... if it is like Boundary then it would be quite OK.

Most of it is paved. Any car can go through it.

I don't hang that way so not sure what parking lot, I can take a look when i get home on the map if you want me to

Thanks. I am pretty sure P1 is closest. I don't see actually any official parking spots in southern border of the forest.

There’s no loading/unloading at the forest center. They moved the lot 3km up the trail (stupid). If you’re not leaving your vehicle there and are quick I’m sure you could drop the bike off where the old lot was (just passed the forest center) and none will say anything.

First time there this summer and I went to unload at the Centre...no go. Took the minivan and trailer on the dirt road from the Centre north.....not a good idea.

So now you have me concerned ... Exactly what I did not want to hear. I guess I will have to go to South west corner of P4 lot and have someone just drove the vehicle back to the center.

Why do they always have to come up with silly rules like this? I can sense why ....

[Why do they always have to come up with silly rules like this? I can sense why ....[/QUOTE]

I was up the forest center road last week. unless you're driving a low slung sports car or have clapped out suspension you'll be fine.

As for not allowing unloading at, or just north of the forest center it's because the Central Forest is a no-motorized zones. Keeping the noise down in that area in particular is paramount to keeping the rest of the forest open to motorized use.

You can ride to the forest center for the spring water, snack bar, or to use the phone etc., just be cognizant of keeping the speed to near walking pace and be reasonably quiet.

But the trails go right passed and through where we all used to park, they didn’t ban riding there just parking. It’s dumb and dangerous to have a parking lot 3km down a fire road that’s as wide as a car with blind hills.

I've always assumed that they didn't want the parking lot at the centre filling up with trailers. There are lots of other activities going on at the centre. I know you're all going to say "but I've never seen that parking lot full", and neither have I, but I have seen it very busy with school kids on weekdays. That's likely more of a concern for them, kids running around with ORV's coming and going is an accident waiting to happen. P6, P2 and P3 are great for ORV parking. I'm baffled whenever I see people unloading in the middle of the woods nowhere near a designated parking area. Seems like a lot of effort and risk.

But the trails go right passed and through where we all used to park, they didn’t ban riding there just parking. It’s dumb and dangerous to have a parking lot 3km down a fire road that’s as wide as a car with blind hills.

Blind Hills? in your car/truck/minivan you're going about 20 kph and the speed limit on a bike in the forest is 60. Plus there's a pretty good trail on the west side of the road. You can meet someone coming the opposite direction ANYWHERE in the forest, and from what I've seen over the years the forest center road is the last place anybody is tearing it up.

I met 3 groups last Sunday. There was plenty of time and room for us to pass each other.

I believe there's still parking accessible from Boundary Rd., off the 35/115 that doesn't require as much forest road driving, and there's parking at the eastern forest that only 100 metres off the road.

it doesn't seem to me that the parking situation in the forest is particularly inconvenient.

Exactly ... hence me starting the thread. If you could not ride to the forest center, it would be one thing, but we all know you certainly can. As far as trailer traffic at the center ... well, just set out a decent size lot, just for trailers and be done with it. If it's full you have to go elsewhere. Maybe it's also time for them to consider south east corner P lot ....

Considering, the motorized vehicles are the lifeblood of the place (especially for 30$ a pop) it would be nice for them to consider few things. Anyway, I ended up going elsewhere.

Last edited:
Blind Hills? in your car/truck/minivan you're going about 20 kph and the speed limit on a bike in the forest is 60. Plus there's a pretty good trail on the west side of the road. You can meet someone coming the opposite direction ANYWHERE in the forest, and from what I've seen over the years the forest center road is the last place anybody is tearing it up.

I met 3 groups last Sunday. There was plenty of time and room for us to pass each other.

I believe there's still parking accessible from Boundary Rd., off the 35/115 that doesn't require as much forest road driving, and there's parking at the eastern forest that only 100 metres off the road.

it doesn't seem to me that the parking situation in the forest is particularly inconvenient.

Where is the parking close to Forest Center, you are speaking of. I see P1 the closest ... which was confirmed by the forest official on the phone.

Again, I am talking of situation where you don't want to use just any parking suitable for low height cars (yes I know that is not a problem) ... I am talking about parking in SE corner of the West Forest ....

"Considering, the motorized vehicles are the lifeblood of the place "

Sorry, on that your are COMPLETEY wrong. ( http://www.grca.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/GRCA_2014_Final.pdf )

According to the 2014 report user fees represent 13% of the revenues, and that includes " revenues from the stewardship programs, watershed services, as well as the water
resources fees". Logging contributed more, but most of the revenue is provided by the municipalities.

"Where is the parking close to Forest Center, you are speaking of."

Didn't say it was close to the forest center, just that it requires less forest access road travel to get to. I'm referring to P2, just off boundary rd.

"Considering, the motorized vehicles are the lifeblood of the place "

Sorry, on that your are COMPLETEY wrong. ( http://www.grca.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/GRCA_2014_Final.pdf )

According to the 2014 report user fees represent 13% of the revenues, and that includes " revenues from the stewardship programs, watershed services, as well as the water
resources fees". Logging contributed more, but most of the revenue is provided by the municipalities.

Thanks for the report.

Just to make it clear, I was more referring to the revenue from user fees related activities (since bikes are normally what you see throughout the forest in Apr - Nov. Hikers and mountain bikers in Central, snowmobiles in the winter). ... the PDF does not break that 13%. You still might be correct that they don't need the 13% to go on ... I am not sure how important it is to them. Certainly to us it is, as a riding place.

"Where is the parking close to Forest Center, you are speaking of."

Didn't say it was close to the forest center, just that it requires less forest access road travel to get to. I'm referring to P2, just off boundary rd.

P2 is the opposite corner, I'd say furthest from the center ... I know you know that, I am just making it clear that it does nothing for me as far as the original question.

If I’m doing 60 on my bike and your doing 10 in your truck on the blind side of a hill ***** going to get messy. Avoiding an atv/dirtbike/horse is easier than my 3/4t truck. I’d been parking there for 15 years before they decided you need to drive down the fire road. I park at boundary now but you would think that maybe it being the main building with trails that go right through it that they might figure out a parking lot on that side of the forest. There’s a lot to unload your horse there...

"you would think that maybe it being the main building with trails that go right through it that they might figure out a parking lot on that side of the forest. There’s a lot to unload your horse there..."

there's 2 things to consider -

1. The central forest is off limits to motorized use. You can travel on the access roads but not the trails. Allowing parking/unloading in that area MAY make some think it's OK to ride there.

2. Horses are not dirt bikes / ATV's. They don't make noise, they have big doe-eyes, you can pet them and you can see the face of the rider and say hello.

I remember when they consolidated the parking areas and enforced it. It was specifically because of noise and too much motorized activity near the forest centre & in the central forest.

And I still think you're overstating the blind hills issue. I was in my truck last weekend and met 2 groups from trail tours and a group of ATV's with no issues for anybody. if you feel differently you should approach it in a manner that keeps you comfortable.

My point/belief is that the situation as it stands, is the best it will get, EVER. They're NOT going to do anything to make it easier for, or more attractive to motorized users.

All of which encourages me to go to the east forest, whether for riding, or walking. There's rarely anybody there, parking is a no hassle breeze and the single track is a nice +/- 20 km. loop that starts and ends at the parking lot.

Back
Top Bottom