Heated gloves, or winter gloves? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heated gloves, or winter gloves?

Alderson

Hey everyone,
Now that the colder weather is upon us, I'm in the need for some warmer gear.

I use my bike for a commuter as much as I can for my job, which means I'm riding around as early as 5:30am, depending on where the job site it.

What would you guys recommend to keep my hands warm enough that I can still feel them when I get to work, heated gloves or winter gloves?

I work in construction and only have my backpack for storage, so hopefully nothing too bulky.

Hey everyone,

I use my bike for a commuter as much as I can for my job, which means I'm riding around as early as 5:30am, depending on where the job site it.

What would you guys recommend to keep my hands warm enough that I can still feel them when I get to work, heated gloves or winter gloves?

I work in construction and only have my backpack for storage, so hopefully nothing too bulky.
Heated grips>>>everything else

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Heated gloves is the way to go in conjunction with oxford heated grips.

There is no winter clothing that can substitute heated gear. Makes it lighter and a lot warmer.

Hey everyone,

I bought a good pair of Klim gloves last year which I ended up using more for skiing than riding. Can't remember the model name but they have both 'grip' and 'warm' double insert.
Very warm and more importantly, dry.

I've seen more than a few heated grips fail.

Yup...heated grips are an essential for extending your riding season. That and a pair of decent water proof gloves. Hand guards are a big plus as well but really don't suit or fit on some bikes.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Last edited:
I'd love to have a pair of heated gloves (I like the firedupx one from what I've seen), but lots of $.

Been thinking of handlebar muffs but they're too ugly. Maybe once I get over how I look

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I have the fireup (velocity) heated gloves with batteries. they are fantastic.
I'd love to have a pair of heated gloves (I like the firedupx one from what I've seen), but lots of $.

Been thinking of handlebar muffs but they're too ugly. Maybe once I get over how I look

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The grips seem like kind of a hassle to install, and I'd rather have something that I can transfer over to my new bike when I buy it.

Anyone know of any locations that carry heated gloves, rather than buying it online?

Also, I assume I'll need to buy some sort of corded accessory to the battery pack, or do heated gloves normally come with that?

After wearing winter gloves for years, then moving onto heated grips for years and now to heated gloves for years - there is no comparison - heated gloves win hands down. Heated grips are nice, for casual riding, but they only heat the palms and I have even had a grip melt away when touring in the cold, while the grips were on high heat for a long time.

Like ZX mentioned about the Velocity gloves, they are battery powered, well made, armoured and really comfortable. I have a few different pairs of heated gloves (Gerbings, First Gear and WarmnSafe), all of which hook up to the battery on my bike. They are good, but useful only on the bike, whereas the Velocity ones can be worn off the bike as well. I now also use the ultra thin heated glove liners which are good if you want to wear your regular moto gloves for protection, while still getting full hand heat from a glove. These liners are use the similar tech as the infra-red in the Firedupx ones, but these liners are much cheaper since they are liners only. They cost about $80/pair and also draw less power from the battery. They often go on sale, and so I picked mine up for around $50.

The grips seem like kind of a hassle to install, and I'd rather have something that I can transfer over to my new bike when I buy it.

Anyone know of any locations that carry heated gloves, rather than buying it online?

Also, I assume I'll need to buy some sort of corded accessory to the battery pack, or do heated gloves normally come with that?

GP bikes sells heated gear, as probably does Royal Distributing and maybe others. Go to the WarmnSafe website and have a look around so you get and idea of what you need. Basically I use a wireless dual controller that allows me to regulate the temps of my gloves and jacket separately. Nothing is fixed to the bike so very easy to move around. All that comes off the bike is a little cord from my battery that I plug my jacket into. Heated gloves are generally sold with the needed wiring, but if you want a separate controller (which you do), then you buy that separately. These controllers can control dual or single.

They also do sell heated grips that are like velcro overwraps - made by Oxford and easily transferable from one bike to the next. I used them for a season or two and they also did a decent job as far as heated grips go, but they are more bulky.

Last edited:
Heated gloves is the way to go in conjunction with oxford heated grips.

There is no winter clothing that can substitute heated gear. Makes it lighter and a lot warmer.

+1 for the heated grips and gloves.

Heated gloves work better than grips alone as it heats the backs of your hands as well, but you will find yourself using heated grips all year long, especially in rain with wet summer gloves.

Heated gloves would be the best. A good 2nd choice if the $$ is a factor is heated grips with wind deflectors or muffs(which help keep your hands dry too). I've run grip heaters with water resistant(not waterproof anymore) gloves for years and can get down to about -15C. Need heated socks or similar though. Grips aren't that expensive ( around $30), so leaving them on the bike when you sell is no big deal.

Heated gloves would be the best. A good 2nd choice if the $$ is a factor is heated grips with wind deflectors or muffs(which help keep your hands dry too).

+1. If you are able to get the heated gloves + a proper controller, not just an on/off switch. There's no doubt heated gear is expensive, but everyone I know comment that they wish they had not waited so long to buy heated gear. It will add 2+ weeks to your riding season spring and fall.

I have gloves and jacket on one circuit + socks on a second circuit of a Warm & Safe dual remote Troller and have done up to 8+ hours at 2 - 3 degrees quite comfortably.

Heated. In the wind at low temps winter gloves seem to do much. I ride down to about 2C and heated is amazing while warm gloves just take a bit longer to get too cold.

so i was lucky enough to get a heated vest (firedup) at lowes a few years back on sale. for what i paid, more than worth it although the wiring gave up on me (i'm a daily commuter as well) so i'd definitely give their gloves a try if i were you.you dont realize how much a heated vest keeps your whole body warm until you have one. (the warmer the core, the warmer the limbs) i rarely needed to go to highest setting.
i'm kinda sad that it doesn't work anymore and no more budget for more gear this year :(

so weirdly im gonna say get a heated vest to help keep all your limbs warmer and maybe get some handguards to deflect wind away from the hands, you'll lose less heat that way and that vest is just awesome to wear around town. you'll be wearing your hoodie while some other people will need their CanadaGoose lol

............although the wiring gave up on me....

Warm & Safe has a W & S as well as a competitive product trade in program. In the spring I got a new Gen 3 90w jacket for $130US and new Classic gloves for $99US. I had an ancient Gerbing jacket and very old Olympic (I think) gloves that really need to be replaced. Details on their web page + they also have a sale on now.

FYI when it comes to heated gear, if you can get something with an analog temperature dial, go for that. Otherwise if it's digital, make sure the steps are fine grained. My heated gloves when I had them had a digital temp controller and "2" was too cold, while "3" burned my hands (literally. I had a squiggly heating wire mark on my hand for a while)

Nother vote for heated gloves tho my heated grips are okay down to about 10C with FirstGear waterproof gloves.

Both, with heated grips. I prefer the comfort of winter gloves, with heated grips can ride at pretty low temps, and no plugging in or charging hassle.
That said, once down to really cold temps, I plug in, gloves, jacket liner and insoles.

Back
Top Bottom