New to the Bike Scene (Need Help!) | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to the Bike Scene (Need Help!)

faivious

Hello!

I've recently passed my M1 written, and will have my course done by Oct 8 at LearningCurve.

I'm currently looking for a used 300cc sportbike for under $4.5k and came across a 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS ($3.8k w/ safety)
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...ms/1300597172?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The owner is the second owner.
The current owner purchased the bike with 3500km.

I know about as much about bikes as Kim Jong Un's rockets.
Not sure exactly what to check for or ask..

Also, I've been given a quote from Ridersplus for $163/month for Liability ($1M), Deductibles ($1,000), no collision.
Also, within the GTA, where is the best place for gear? Store? Online? I bought a helmet and gloves at SnowCity and nothing else yet.

I read through this Step by Step guide that was posted, and it was super helpful.
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...from-getting-your-licence-to-buying-your-bike

Let me know if you guys have any advice!

Welcome to the forum!
*I* would wait a little longer before purchasing a bike, as we are now ending the season, and you will start to see better deals. And depending on where you are in the GTA, there may be some members that could help look at a bike with you for a small fee. Your insurance quote seems good. Maybe too good? Make sure you have that in writing, and make sure that it is not an online quote, they have been known to be quite off.
There are a few shops locally, RC in Mississauga, Daytona in Vaughan, Royal in Barrie, Royal & GP in Whitby. Or check out one of the ReGear stores or Kijiji. Many people get rid of like-new gear that can be had at a deal. I'm not normally one for used gear, but just starting out, what you think you want, may not turn out to be what you need.
Enjoy and ride safe.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I think you're on the right track with the bike choice but two things I noticed. "Lots of mods" is not good. Modern bikes are very reliable; modding a bike is likely going to take away from reliability.
Also, "will need nothing to certify" is not the same as certified. A safety inspection recently cost me $100. It didn't need anything, just the certificate. Not a big deal but these kinds of things add up.

Sent from my X5max_PRO using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Thank you for the input!
I'm 23 with a clean driving record, I called an agent for the quote and have his name & extension.

Also the seller is selling the bike after using it for 3 months, is that a potential redflag or do people grow out of 300's that quick? (It was his first bike purchase)

Edit:

Also what's the deal with parking in GTA for motorists?
Where can I park for "free" and where must I pay?
I heard they're switching over to plate recognition for parking pay??

Last edited:
"Beginner bikes" do seem to change hands frequently. The 3 month thing isn't that big a deal, but the power commander is. Says to me he was riding the piss out of it trying to go faster

Also consider a CBR; similiar type of bike. I love my 250, haven't ridden the kawi

Last edited:
The other reason to wait, is that you haven't passed the course yet.
While some people will complain that the course is too easy, approximately 1-2 in 10 people don't pass the evaluation on the first time.
There won't be many opportunities to retest this late in the year, and you may find during the course that motorcycling isn't for you.

For gear, you can go to places like Snow City, GP Bikes, Royal Distributing etc. For the course you can get by with a Jeans and a Jean jacket, leather gardening gloves, and sturdy leather boots, even some hiking & work boots have been worn, which weren't ideal for shifting, but met the requirements.

Who doesn't ride the piss out of a 300 trying to go faster? :)

OP, I notice the ad says it has an integrated tail light; I would be wary of this from a safety/legality perspective and if the current owner doesn't have the original parts, I'd walk away.

Who doesn't ride the piss out of a 300 trying to go faster? :)

OP, I notice the ad says it has an integrated tail light; I would be wary of this from a safety/legality perspective and if the current owner doesn't have the original parts, I'd walk away.

It's also been lowered, which is another red flag.

Thank you for the input!
I'm 23 with a clean driving record, I called an agent for the quote and have his name & extension.

No offence, but that means jack $#!+. Members here have bought bikes based on a verbal quote, then when going to insure the actual price is 2x more.
Get it in writing.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

mods are useful, if you do them to suit yourself and the way you want to ride

power commander and full Yoshi system are a good combo if it's been tuned right - dyno tuned
but on a 300? gain maybe 5HP if that...so top end will be ~ 40 HP
it's still a 300, will not be a quick bike, and fuel mileage will suffer

and lowered suspension like mentioned is a questionable mod from a handling/safety standpoint
seat height for that bike is listed at 30.9 inches
no need to lower that bike except for for a person that has well under average inseam length

bike appears to be overpriced a bit as seller is trying to recapture costs of mods
up to you to decide if you see value in these mods

I'd also check out the report of scratched fairing, see if there's mote to that than scratches

so like any purchase, this is a value judgment
if these mods are things you would do anyway, it's a good deal
would guess whomever did the mods paid > 2K for all that

Thanks for all the input guys, it's very helpful!

Also looked at:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...bs/1301873174?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It's stock with 2000km, 3 owners, for $3.7k.
Current owner purchased it last february at 1300km and the previous owner bought it and didn't ride it at all because he bought an R6, and the first owner clocked about ~1200km on it.

Anything else that raises any suspicions or is it worth checking out?

Thanks a lot guys, been very helpful!

Of the two, I'd pursue the Honda
2 years newer, stock bike, less km, reasonable price, ABS

don't see any concerns based on the way ad is written
but it's funny that seller would say
stock bike that's one of a kind ??

and tires done with 2,000 km on bike?
stock tires must have been terrible
they usually are on Japanese bikes
but I still run them out before replacing

I'm biased, but would suggest an R3 if you can find one

Those bikes should be sub $3500. If it was lowered just ask for the stock links. It's literally a 5 minute job to swap it back to stock height.. Wait til winter to buy a bike. Nothing illegal about the integrated tail light. If it's a TST light it may be a bit harder to see the signals than the Motodynamic version. All the parts are bolt ons so I wouldnt worry about issues.

Edit: He also has aftermarket clip ons and rearsets. for all the parts on it it's a fair price (all the mods are the popular ones and worth doing.) If it has a Elks shock on it like the ad implies, that in itself is worth $500.

Last edited:
Those bikes should be sub $3500. If it was lowered just ask for the stock links. It's literally a 5 minute job to swap it back to stock height.. Wait til winter to buy a bike. Nothing illegal about the integrated tail light. If it's a TST light it may be a bit harder to see the signals than the Motodynamic version. All the parts are bolt ons so I wouldnt worry about issues.

This has been discussed before:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/archives/showthread.php?111875-Legality-of-integrated-turn-signals

There may still be applicable regulations regarding the minimum separation of signal lamps.

A stickler might refuse to cert a bike with an integrated lamp (or a tail tidy for that matter, since it sort of eliminates the "mud guard" at the back...)

This has been discussed before:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/archives/showthread.php?111875-Legality-of-integrated-turn-signals

There may still be applicable regulations regarding the minimum separation of signal lamps.

A stickler might refuse to cert a bike with an integrated lamp (or a tail tidy for that matter, since it sort of eliminates the "mud guard" at the back...)

Did my m2 exit and had a cert done on an intergrated tail. is it the safest? prolly not. but no one will give you a ticket for it.

but it's funny that seller would say
stock bike that's one of a kind ??

I was thinking the exact same thing. You see that a lot in bike adds "one of a kind". I always wondered if people fall for that and really think they are getting something unique.

I do not know much about small bikes, not my cup of tea. The reputation of Honda is great though, I would trust a Honda above most bikes. Have had a few in the past and they gave me zero trouble outside of regular maintenance.

Most likely you will be upgrading from your bigger bike in a season or two so I would not fret to much. If the bike is in good condition and was well maintained it should give you zero problems.

Did my m2 exit and had a cert done on an intergrated tail. is it the safest? prolly not. but no one will give you a ticket for it.

That's why I said a "stickler." Many shops will cert a bike with a tail tidy; some won't because by eliminating the mud-guard the bike no longer conforms to the letter of the law.

A cop having a bad day might also issue a ticket, especially if the integrated light is a cheap POS with poor brightness, little contrast and/or if the signals flicker quickly instead of blinking clearly like the bike's original signals did.

Let's put it this way: You are more likely to attract the attention of the police and are more likely to have trouble certifying with equipment like this on your bike. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom