What bike has cheapest insurance? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What bike has cheapest insurance?

Older cruiser 650cc or less, likely.

VStar 650 for example is a notoriously cheap bike to insure.

Ultimately there are a lot of variables though that can effect insurance of course - driving record, postal code, etc etc.

TD Meloche Monnex wouldn't insure grom for some reason.
I'd think something like tu250 would be cheap

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I had a KZ250LTD cruiser that was $223 per year a little over a decade ago.

48407082_614.jpg

I doubt that insurance would have gone up much on it.

When I was shopping around for quotes on bikes under 400 cc, they were all about the same. When I went from my 125 to a 250, the cost actually went down $5 a year. I guess because of ABS

Sent from my X5max_PRO using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

interesting,i just assumed if you kept going down in engine size (all things being equal) the rates would keep going down.Still wonder who, right now, with what bike, is paying the least in Ontario.

other factor is how much insurance you want/need
smaller, older bike worth very little with liability and accident benefits only will be cheap
same size late model bike worth a bit and all perils coverage will of course be more

just guessing, but I think the Grom is going to have bad claims history = higher premiums

CBR125 = $500/yr

I was insured with this bike just last year on M2....basic insurance, no coverage/comp, adjusted all the switches nothing would get it cheaper than 500.

I'm really curious now, if someone were M w/10,20,30+ yrs experience no incidents, which bike (or this bike) would be the cheapest to insure, where does the insurance companies draw the line and say "that's it, we can't price this any lower"

Yeah when I was quoting I gave them 3 bike models to compare. The least expensive was a Honda Rebel 250. Around $500-600 I can't remember if it was just liability though. I am in Scarborough and only recently got my M2.

Guys from ride of the 6ix would say "the bike you don't insure is the cheapest" lol

It varies from company to company obv but yeah, small cc cruisers/standards are your best bet.

Looks like your the winner for ontario at $211 year for least cost for Insurance.Congratulations (wonder who is paying the most? Might have to start that for a topic some day)

Looks like your the winner for ontario at $211 year for least cost for Insurance.Congratulations (wonder who is paying the most? Might have to start that for a topic some day)

That one $211/year bike could be $500/year for someone in a bad postal code, or with a dent on their record. It could be $1000/year for someone with both.

This is why comparing insurance rates is tough - there's so many variables.

As for most expensive, I remember a few years back there was a <20YO with an M1 (and no G at all) who got quoted $1700/month or something like that on a litre bike...because he was willing to settle for nothing less for a first bike, of course.

The $223 was in Toronto 8 km west of Bay St. or 12 minutes from sitting at my desk on a good day. But it was also over 10 years ago.

Last edited:
A 50cc scooter?

I'd guess CBR125 but if it's $500/yr like waitin4BOOST said, that's more than I pay for my RS125 which has twice the HP in Toronto.

09 cbr125, 269/yr, south of Hamilton. No collision but all other coverage. 20 years continuous coverage, 5 bikes 500cc and less under 2100/year all licenced. TD Personal. Not bundled.

TD (Markham, ON): Ninja 250 $370, FJR1300 $740, GSXR1300 $1210 (bundled with car/house). Hagerty: Triumph TR25 $250

Geico (USA, Florida): FJR1300 $240, GSXR1300 $339

Back
Top Bottom