Motorcycle Down 10-03-2017 Bayview & Merton | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Down 10-03-2017 Bayview & Merton

Evoex

The God
Site Supporter
Passed by around 7:20pm saw Police and Fire dept. on site. Looked like a naked bike was down in the intersection with a banged up car close-by. Looks like the back of the car was hit.

GWS

That was me. Left turner as I approached the intersection in the right southbound lane. She started her turn, noticed me, then stood on the brakes and stopped dead in front of me. I had a second and a half, maybe two, of braking time before I bailed to avoid hitting the car with the bike. I managed to soar past the rear end by about a foot while the bike made contact with her rear wheel, spun her around, and I continued sliding down the left lane until almost the next telephone pole.
I'm fine. The bike (which wasn't naked before the incident, but is now! See my build thread in my sig) Is a complete and total write-off. Extensive frame damage.

She was ticketed at the scene, then brought to hospital with what I was told may have been shock. I was fine, my leathers and gear mostly did their job (and came out nearly unscathed). I have a spot of rash on my upper left hip from where the jacket pulled up from the zipper joining to the pants. Had a minor friction burn through the glove on the palm section of my left pinky finger, but the worst is the impact trauma to my left hip from hitting the ground at speed before the slide. Lots of bruising. Wishing the pants had hip armor now.

I'll post pics after the insurance claim is finalized. She has been deemed 100% at fault and her insurance admitted full liability so they'll be paying out for current market value of my bike. Waiting on a valuation now.

I'm glad you're relatively okay. Shock that she was actually going to get a ticket? Must have been quite an impact to spin a car around. Not a small bike but still...

I hope you don't mind me looking at this from a statistical point of view (I've been there done that got the scar to prove it) but I wonder what percentage of motorcycle collisions are the left turner vs motorcycle.

Maybe? Haha hadn't thought of that. I think perhaps shock that she just took out a motorcyclist or couldn't deal with the abrupt responsibility she just assumed.

Don't mind at all! I imagine the bulk of them are left turn / U-turn accidents / pull out in front of / "didn't see you" accidents.

Not a small bike at all. Stock wet weight is 600lbs. Pit that against a ****** little Kia SUV and the car is gonna get shoved a bit. I was moving at the same rate of speed as everyone else. It was 6:15pm after all, I was in rush hour traffic. I just wasn't given barely any braking time, and half of it was spent on the threshold of front wheel lock up. In fact, had that not happened and started causing the bike to wash out to the right (leaning left) I may not have been able to leap away far enough to avoid hitting the car myself. There was some skill involved, but I'm not above admitting that I got real lucky as well.

Last edited:
Holy #%& xyphur, glad you're ok!

I'm just curious...was there a car in the left-hand lane creating a blind spot for the driver? That happened to me...just barely missed colliding with a left turner. I purposely slow down now at major or busy intersections, especially if there's a car in the opposite left-turn lane.

Good luck with everything!

xyphur, glad you're relatively OK. Read up on embolisms or PM me. Nasty little things. Got the T shirt.

Her shock factor? Princess having to face reality.

glad to hear you are ok. All that work on the bike though , gone.

I had a 93 zx-11 purple and orange for 8 years modded for touring with hard cases.

BB

Too bad about the bike, but it can be replaced.

This is a good news story vs. other terrible threads we've seen this season.

I just curious to know about the insurance payout part. Did you had to contact your own insurance company? I thought in Ontario, for accident claims, it is done through each party's own insurance policy, regardless of who's at fault

Sent from my ONE A2005 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I contacted my insurance broker, informed them of the accident, gave them the police accident report number, all pertinent info, my side of what happened, conditions, etc, and they did the rest. I believe they then contacted the other party's insurance requesting admission of liability (which they got right away, same day a couple hours later in fact). I think given the fact that the police report likely showed that she crossed oncoming traffic who had the right of way (me), she was at fault for a "turn not in safety" or potentially "failure to afford reasonable opportunity to avoid collision". I'm not sure since I don't have a copy of the report myself, only the driver's copy of the report info (basic info of both party's insurance, driver's licence, make/model of vehicle, location, time, officer name and badge number, etc).

Busabim, there was a white Audi A4 in the left lane just a smidge behind me as we both approached the intersection, and I believe that he may have been slowing down to turn left himself, which may have been what caused the woman who turned left in front of me to do so. She must've not seen me (black bike, black leathers) with the contrasting white sedan next to me, saw his signal, figured it was safe to go, started turning and then saw me as I was barely approaching the crosswalk lines. That's when she panicked and stood on her brakes instead of nailing the gas to get the fvck out of the way. Too often people's first reaction is to hit the brakes and stop instead of assessing the situation using critical thinking skills and reacting accordingly. I could've easily shot left to barely avoid her back end had she continued at her set pace instead of altering it creating an obstacle for me.

Oh well. The bike was consuming oil like crazy. It had almost 96k on it. I bought it at 14k, and it brought me to San Diego & LA and back in 2015. It was fun, and I got my money's worth out of it. It's probably better that the universe removed it from my possession before I went and sunk even more money into it (which I just sorta did, but meh). I'm mostly ****** off about the brand new tires I just put on it. Less than 1000k on a set of Dunlop Sportmax RoadSmart IIIs.

Busabim, there was a white Audi A4 in the left lane just a smidge behind me as we both approached the intersection, and I believe that he may have been slowing down to turn left himself, which may have been what caused the woman who turned left in front of me to do so. She must've not seen me (black bike, black leathers) with the contrasting white sedan next to me, saw his signal, figured it was safe to go, started turning and then saw me as I was barely approaching the crosswalk lines. That's when she panicked and stood on her brakes instead of nailing the gas to get the fvck out of the way. Too often people's first reaction is to hit the brakes and stop instead of assessing the situation using critical thinking skills and reacting accordingly. I could've easily shot left to barely avoid her back end had she continued at her set pace instead of altering it creating an obstacle for me.

Actually, it was me [Road King] that asked the question.;) Thanks for sharing that, xyphur. I think it's important to look at the details of what happened and possibly learn from them. Hopefully, it will better prepare us and avoid such predicaments in the future.

Relax and enjoy the Thanksgiving Day weekend!

Make sure you advise the insurance of the new tires, if you provide receipts, they will reimburse you at full value for them, (unless of course you bought them 6 months ago and still only managed to put 100 km on them, which doesn't sound likely given the mileage of your bike..lol). Insurance will, also in SOME cases, pay for the install costs if just done, again WITH receipts.

Although you feel fine, just after the collision, you should still go see your physician, and have ALL injuries documented. it can sometimes take MONTHS, for injuries to become more pronounced. There is a reason lawsuits aren't filed until 2 years post claim. One of my injuries, (messed up thumb joint, and hand), didn't present as an issue for nearly 18 months, initially I just thought it was part of the achy aging process, but it became progressively worst. Some days the pain is rather intense now, which is a HUGE issue given I work with my hands.

I contacted my insurance broker, informed them of the accident, gave them the police accident report number, all pertinent info, my side of what happened, conditions, etc, and they did the rest. I believe they then contacted the other party's insurance requesting admission of liability (which they got right away, same day a couple hours later in fact). I think given the fact that the police report likely showed that she crossed oncoming traffic who had the right of way (me), she was at fault for a "turn not in safety" or potentially "failure to afford reasonable opportunity to avoid collision". I'm not sure since I don't have a copy of the report myself, only the driver's copy of the report info (basic info of both party's insurance, driver's licence, make/model of vehicle, location, time, officer name and badge number, etc).

Oh well. The bike was consuming oil like crazy. It had almost 96k on it. I bought it at 14k, and it brought me to San Diego & LA and back in 2015. It was fun, and I got my money's worth out of it. It's probably better that the universe removed it from my possession before I went and sunk even more money into it (which I just sorta did, but meh). I'm mostly ****** off about the brand new tires I just put on it. Less than 1000k on a set of Dunlop Sportmax RoadSmart IIIs.

Last edited:
Make sure you advise the insurance of the new tires, if you provide receipts, they will reimburse you at full value for them, (unless of course you bought them 6 months ago and still only managed to put 100 km on them, which doesn't sound likely given the mileage of your bike..lol). Insurance will, also in SOME cases, pay for the install costs if just done, again WITH receipts.

Although you feel fine, just after the collision, you should still go see your physician, and have ALL injuries documented. it can sometimes take MONTHS, for injuries to become more pronounced. There is a reason lawsuits aren't filed until 2 years post claim. One of my injuries, (messed up thumb joint, and hand), didn't present as an issue for nearly 18 months, initially I just thought it was part of the achy aging process, but it became progressively worst. Some days the pain is rather intense now, which is a HUGE issue given I work with my hands.

Yes, absolutely, I hear you about the injury aspect. I've been down before, the most notable one was a ten-place left tibial plateau fracture that still gives me grief from time to time. That was nasty. I was in bed for two and a half months that time.

I've got an injury adjuster assigned to my case simply because it was a motorcycle incident. The claims person at my insurance company said they do that in all motorcycle cases because the injuries, like you point out, sometimes take a while to become apparent. My left hip is seriously sore. This is probably some of the worst bruising I've ever had, and has spread from my outer lower hip into the front of my thigh and into the left portion of my upper groin. Also have what appears to be an embolism on a part of my upper front thigh as well, which has since gotten a little better (my body is starting to reabsorb it, it seems). The pain and soreness is constant. Walking is affected at times. If it doesn't progress over the long weekend, I'll be contacting the insurance injury person on Tuesday to see what their recommendations are moving forward.

Appreciate all the advice and insight I'm getting here guys. Thank you all.

Also, could we maybe move this to another area? I'm not a 'fallen / in memory of' rider yet!

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Yes, absolutely, I hear you about the injury aspect. I've been down before, the most notable one was a ten-place left tibial plateau fracture that still gives me grief from time to time. That was nasty. I was in bed for two and a half months that time.

I've got an injury adjuster assigned to my case simply because it was a motorcycle incident. The claims person at my insurance company said they do that in all motorcycle cases because the injuries, like you point out, sometimes take a while to become apparent. My left hip is seriously sore. This is probably some of the worst bruising I've ever had, and has spread from my outer lower hip into the front of my thigh and into the left portion of my upper groin. Also have what appears to be an embolism on a part of my upper front thigh as well, which has since gotten a little better (my body is starting to reabsorb it, it seems). The pain and soreness is constant. Walking is affected at times. If it doesn't progress over the long weekend, I'll be contacting the insurance injury person on Tuesday to see what their recommendations are moving forward.

Appreciate all the advice and insight I'm getting here guys. Thank you all.

Also, could we maybe move this to another area? I'm not a 'fallen / in memory of' rider yet!

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

I had my first ambulance ride thanks to an embolism. They don't show up right away. 1 in 6 is fatal. I was lucky in that mine came on slowly and there was time to react.

I had my first ambulance ride thanks to an embolism. They don't show up right away. 1 in 6 is fatal. I was lucky in that mine came on slowly and there was time to react.

I think we're on about two different things. I've looked and looked, and it seems I've mistaken embolism for something else that I don't know the proper name for...

What I was referring to is a collection of blood under the surface of my skin that's clotting and staying put. It's not a bruise (I have bruising as well that looks different). This is also in a different area than the trauma site itself (which is where most of the bruising is occurring).

I'm pretty sure I don't have any risk of an embolism from this. My lungs are fine, and my head never touched a thing (I'm getting really quite good at that. 4 for 4!)

What exactly happened in your case? Was head trauma the likely cause? Sounds like scary 5h!t regardless...

What you are describing sounds like a hematoma. Essentially a large, really large, bruise. Can take quite a while to disappear.

I think we're on about two different things. I've looked and looked, and it seems I've mistaken embolism for something else that I don't know the proper name for...

What I was referring to is a collection of blood under the surface of my skin that's clotting and staying put. It's not a bruise (I have bruising as well that looks different). This is also in a different area than the trauma site itself (which is where most of the bruising is occurring).

I'm pretty sure I don't have any risk of an embolism from this. My lungs are fine, and my head never touched a thing (I'm getting really quite good at that. 4 for 4!)

What exactly happened in your case? Was head trauma the likely cause? Sounds like scary 5h!t regardless...

Scary in more ways than one.

I signed up for travel insurance over the phone paying on my credit card. I received the acknowledgement and it was accurate so took off for a few days M/C camping in Virginia. I got back on Sunday night. Tuesday I got a letter from the insurer saying I hadn't signed and returned the acknowledgement and the policy wasn't therefore in effect.

Thursday I got up feeling crappy. I recall coughing during the night. Regardless, I go to work as I needed to collect some data to complete a report. By noon data collected and I 'm feeling really crappy so head for home to just relax and maybe things will improve. They don't and I start getting a pain in my side like runners stitch. It gets worse to the point it's hard to breathe and about 8:00 PM I'm getting loaded into an ambulance. The ride cost $45. In the USA it would have been $45,000.

I spent a couple of days in hospital on oxygen, blood thinners and some other stuff getting released on Monday. Tuesday I see my GP. His office is on the third floor of a clinic and I take the stairs two at a time. Spend the next 6 months on blood thinners (Xeralto) and taking the occasional D-dimer test, D-dimer tests monitor the amount of dissolving clot in the blood.

The clots are usually attributed to deep bruising in the lower limbs. Look up deep vein thrombosis.

I had no other symptoms while many experience muscle pain. The attack can occur long after the accident so just because you walked away it doesn't mean you're OK.

That said, not every bruise is going to be an embolism just like every headache isn't a brain tumor. Just discuss D-dimers and all aches with your GP.

Other factors are sedentary occupations, obesity, smoking, pregnancy and recent abdominal surgery.

Hopefully you're not a fat, chain smoking, pregnant long haul trucker with recent surgery.

Holy hell. Yeah, going to go get checked out for sure. That's terrifying.

Thankfully, I'm not a part of any of those high risk groups. Still though, it's concerning.

Thank you for your insight. I'll keep an eye on this.

Back
Top Bottom