Wanting to upgrade to loud pipes for my bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wanting to upgrade to loud pipes for my bike

I think the wording is throwing people off.. Do you want loud? or just something a bit more muscular sounding? I had a friend that had some little rat bike with straight homemade pipes. They were so loud and obnoxious it peeled his paint. And also made him not so liked by his neighbours - yea yea, there are a few that will say f the neighbours, but grow the f up. You don't want to live in a neighbourhood where respect is not valued.

I have a D&D on my bike and its fairly tame I think....but sounds much nicer than the stocker.

Consideration towards my neighbors was also top of my mind when I was working on quieting my bike down – every now and then I leave crazy early for a long group ride somewhere and there was no way I could pull out of my garage at 4 or 5 AM without completely pissing off everybody on my street.

Now I can roll down the driveway, start the bike on the fly and at low RPM it isn't much louder than stock pipes.

thread is a good example of how riders and members of the forum
have different priorities, and uses for bikes, so exhaust can be an issue or a non issue

cruiser guys want noise
sport guys want power
general motorcyclists spend zero time thinking about exhaust

thread is a good example of how riders and members of the forum
have different priorities, and uses for bikes, so exhaust can be an issue or a non issue

cruiser guys want noise
sport guys want power
general motorcyclists spend zero time thinking about exhaust

IME most street sport guys want noise. A slip on increases noise with very little effect on power (and GP exhaust is another huge step up in noise, with no effect on power). Full systems make more power but cost big coin, sure some people use them, but slipons probably outnumber full systems 10:1 or more.

IME most street sport guys want noise. A slip on increases noise with very little effect on power (and GP exhaust is another huge step up in noise, with no effect on power). Full systems make more power but cost big coin, sure some people use them, but slipons probably outnumber full systems 10:1 or more.

good example that myself, a general motorcyclist
knows very little about exhaust
have spent some $ over the years modifying my bikes
with the goals of extending the riding season and improved comfort
have never even considered an exhaust change
offers me nothing

Most are lighter (some full systems much lighter). That's probably the biggest benefit to the actual riding dynamics on the street.

Don't forget the coolness factor. We all ride bikes because they rumble, growl and whine (adding out own twists). Even general motorcyclists.

A lot of the recent cruiser Harleys (Softail, Dyna) have catalysts in the mufflers and you end up with a blazing heat source right at your ankle. Replacement slip on mufflers without the catalyst run cooler, lowering the burn risk. Notwithstanding emissions of course.

Go to a forum that focuses on your bike. you'll only get answers to questions you didn't ask here.

I wanted a little better tone from my bike. Looked all over for something affordable, good quality and not over the top loud. Found 'Pipe werxs'. They custom make the system to your specs. I ordered the cat eliminator carbon fiber system. Ordered on a Tuesday, received it on Thursday (same week). I thought that was amazing since it comes from the UK. Great quality system, hand crafted, made to order, one can communicate, live discuss/chat through their web site, great for details... No tuning required as they pack the silencer adequately and they sent an optional quick install internal baffle/silencer thingy that makes it insanely loud (I didn't install, I like it louder than stock but not too loud). Anyway it looks and sounds great and would buy another.

cruiser guys want noise
sport guys want power

I think you're stereotyping a little there. A lot, actually.

There are lots of cruiser guys who don't care about noise (or if they do, like a tasteful amount just so they can be heard vs a sewing-machine stock system), and there's also no shortage of sport guys who seem to thrive on it. Just go checkout YouTube for plenty of examples of sport guys (usually amongst the young crowd) who love demonstrating their revbomb-worthy exhaust systems.

In the end everyone has different tastes, stereotyping is a fallacy.

I think you're stereotyping a little there. A lot, actually.

There are lots of cruiser guys who don't care about noise (or if they do, like a tasteful amount just so they can be heard vs a sewing-machine stock system), and there's also no shortage of sport guys who seem to thrive on it. Just go checkout YouTube for plenty of examples of sport guys (usually amongst the young crowd) who love demonstrating their revbomb-worthy exhaust systems.

In the end everyone has different tastes, stereotyping is a fallacy.

I prefer to describe it as economy of language :)

Back
Top Bottom